3DCoat Forums

OBJ/LWO import doesn't work on Linux

Up to version 3.1.19, I can't use 3DC's OBJ/LWO import facilities (haven't checked 3.1.20 yet, but as this problem exists at least since 3.1.14 - the first version I tried - and is not mentioned in any release note since then, I assume the recent build still has it).

On import, "something" actually gets loaded, but either nothing at all gets displayed (in any room), or a few single planes appear (which have no obvious correlation to the actual model).

I run 3DC on (K)Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 64bit, Intel C2D 8400, GeForce 9800 green edition.

Unfortunately, I currently have no option to compare the Linux build's behaviour to that one on Windows or OSX ... but I assume it's working properly on the latter two, as no one else complains about it.

A solution for this would be *much* appreciated - can't use 3DC as I'd like to, if I can't import things.

Thanks in advance,

Helmut

Up to version 3.1.19, I can't use 3DC's OBJ/LWO import facilities (haven't checked 3.1.20 yet, but as this problem exists at least since 3.1.14 - the first version I tried - and is not mentioned in any release note since then, I assume the recent build still has it).

On import, "something" actually gets loaded, but either nothing at all gets displayed (in any room), or a few single planes appear (which have no obvious correlation to the actual model).

I run 3DC on (K)Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 64bit, Intel C2D 8400, GeForce 9800 green edition.

Unfortunately, I currently have no option to compare the Linux build's behaviour to that one on Windows or OSX ... but I assume it's working properly on the latter two, as no one else complains about it.

A solution for this would be *much* appreciated - can't use 3DC as I'd like to, if I can't import things.

Thanks in advance,

Helmut

Please send me the object and I will help to import it (or point problem).

support@3d-coat.com

Please send me the object and I will help to import it (or point problem).

support@3d-coat.com

Hello Andrew,

thanks a lot for your offer!

If you would like to test using my model, I'll happily send it to you (just drop me a note). However, the issue is not restricted to this special OBJ - it's the other way round for me: I've never been able to import a single one of them properly so far.

I just played around and tried a few of the included sample OBJs - if the problem is reproducible for you at all, you should be able to observe it, using any of these.

Interestingly, the symptoms vary a bit, depending on the chosen object file.

I did the following:

1) launch "3d-coat-64"

2) in the startup wizard/dialog, I select for per-pixel-painting, what I want (either by shortcut icon, or by file dialog)

3) I accept all standard settings offered by the import dialog (good idea of mine?)

Then I observe

- crash on "Samples/creature.obj" and "Samples/cube.obj"

- "Samples/dino4.obj" is loaded, but displayed completely garbled (see image 1 below)

- "Samples/sample.obj" gets loaded, but is displayed as a "ghost". The mesh import itself seems to be okay, as the mesh gets displayed in

the UV room (see screenshot 2 and 3 below).

- "Samples/bracelet.obj" leads to an "out of virtual memory" exception message (which can't really be true, as the model isn't too large, and I've been able to voxel-sculpt in 4x resolution without problems so far)

Ah, yes: all of the above models import well into Blender.

Here are the screenshots:

3dc-scrshot8.jpg

3dc-scrshot9.jpg

3dc-scrshot10.jpg

I hope I was able to be precise enough for you to spot the problem (as I'm a 3DC (and 3D in general) beginner, I'm of course not sure whether there's something I'm doing wrong).

Best Regards,

Helmut

Try to use DirectX executables, all this look like not updated driver problem. And GL drivers work not good sometimes even if they are updated.

I wish I had this option. :(

I'm using Linux ... no DirectX available here.

Just checked the NVidia driver version: it's 180.44 - the one which, by default, installs with Jaunty Jackalope, if you select "non free drivers". Too old, that one?

Sorry for bringing this up once again, but I'm not quite sure how to proceed now.

@Andrew:

are you sure this can be a driver problem?

As described above, there are several cases where 3DC crashes - not only display problems.

Is there some kind of 3DC "compatibility" list on Linux (aka: minimal NVidia driver version ...)?

Hi Helmut S.! Thanks for your feedback. Frankly speaking we are aware of that problem. Several users complained to those issues. You know, we observed what they have in common – Kubuntu and GeForce 9 / 2xx GPUs. We tried to install Kubuntu. With GeForce 8 there were no problems. In the same time there are a lot of users on Ubuntu with GeForce 9 / 2xx and they have no problems. Can you try to install Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu? Of course we are very interested to workarounding that problem under Kubuntu with GeForce 9 / 2xx GPUs, but couldn’t reproduce such issues on our workstations. Those issues are definitely somehow connected with graphics card drivers.

Hi Sergyi,

thanks a lot for this helpful info & advice. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of diving into OS install orgies on that machine - I need it up and running, and you know ... "never change a running system". ;) However I might be able to try out ubuntu on my spare/backup system. Is there any (k)ubuntu version you would recommend for running 3DC? Any restriction/minimum requirement concerning the NVidia drivers?

@goethefaust:

I'm using the one which gets installed by default on Jaunty, if you select to use the "non free drivers". It's version is 180.44. As I read of bad performance issues with NVidia under Karmic, I did not feel like trying the upgrade, and due to bad experiences with overriding the bundled driver in prior ubuntu releases, I did not replace 180.44 with NVidia's more recent one until now. Should I?

Your mileage may vary on this - But, I last tested Ubuntu with the 180.44 driver version and it worked with no error as you are getting. So it's worth a try. :)

For what it's worth, I'm also using Ubuntu 9.04.

Don't know if this is useful information, but anyway: before experimenting with alternative OS installs, I tried 3DC on my current installation, using plain X11, no KDE, no window manager. It shows the very same symptoms.

My wild guess would be that this, as we seem to use the same driver version, is no driver-related issue, but somehow is related to shared library versions (are kubuntu DSOs exactly the same as the libs bundled with plain ubuntu?).

@Sergyi:

did you ever consider to build and distribute statically linked binaries for Linux? I know, it's horrible and the opposite of elegance to consider from a SW development point of view, but it may help to workaround all these obscure differences between Linux distro flavours ...

Did you ever consider to build and distribute statically linked binaries for Linux? I know, it's horrible and the opposite of elegance to consider from a SW development point of view, but it may help to workaround all these obscure differences between Linux distro flavours ...

Helmut S.

Thanks for your participation. Yes, I was thinking about static linking. But according to the “makefile” the only dynamic libraries are these two:

1. OpenGL which is dependent on graphics card driver vendor, version, and should be dynamic;

2. GTK+, which during runtime links to a lot of other system libraries. Maybe among them are some, which lead to such graphics issues. But most of them are system specific. And static linking against them is the same, as static linking under Windows with “GDI32.DLL”, “USER32.DLL”, “SHELL32.DLL” etc.

• 9 months later...

I have the same problem: obj import always results in exploded geometry.

I run Ubuntu Studio 10.4, kernel 2.6.32-25-preempt

My Graphics Card is a fairly new GeForce GTX 460, with latest drivers (260.19.12)

I am not sure if i can use an older driver version, since support for my card was only added recently.

Any help appreciated

I have the same problem: obj import always results in exploded geometry.

I run Ubuntu Studio 10.4, kernel 2.6.32-25-preempt

My Graphics Card is a fairly new GeForce GTX 460, with latest drivers (260.19.12)

I am not sure if i can use an older driver version, since support for my card was only added recently.

Any help appreciated

Please use recent build

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6634&st=0

It should be fixed there

Confirmed, issue is fixed there. Thanks for the speedy reply!

I can confirm this too.

I can't say how much this is going to help, because this problem has been nagging me for MONTHS. The fruit of this labor shall soon be apparent in other areas as well. Very cool.

Hello, Linux users! Thanks to Flytronik, several days ago we fixed old and critical bug – on some Linux systems, 3D-Coat had distorted manipulators, distorted models after any import from “obj” files, and crashed from time to time. As it turned out, the problem was because of standard “C” library function “atof” (converts ASCII strings to float values). When system language is other than English, “atof” uses comma instead of point as decimal separator. In every place of 3D-Coat, where “atof” function has been used, under non English Linux systems we get incorrect results when converting strings to floats. The latest version of 3D-Coat on the FTP server should work correctly regardless of system language. So everyone, who has such critical problems on non English Linux systems, please download the latest version of 3D-Coat!