3DCoat Forums

Will 3d brush remain free ?

shadows44

Wow ! .... is the word I said when I discovered 3D brush a few minutes ago. ;)

Your tool is amazing ! I will definitely talk about it around me...

I just had one question : will 3D still be free when it is not in beta any more ? And if the answer is no, could you give us an idea of the price ?

Thanks again for this wonderful software !

Wow ! .... is the word I said when I discovered 3D brush a few minutes ago. ;)

Your tool is amazing ! I will definitely talk about it around me...

I just had one question : will 3D still be free when it is not in beta any more ? And if the answer is no, could you give us an idea of the price ?

Thanks again for this wonderful software !

3D-Brush will not remain free. There will be free downloadable beta version, but the release version will cost 200-250$ (the price is still under question). We really need at least something to eat :) . There will be trial version with limited exporting function & some functionality limitations. The user will buy activation code. The release version will be really much better then beta. Very many functionality was add, many bugs was fixed. It will be ready to download & buy in 2 weeks.

Guest Guest
We really need at least something to eat :)

Well, I can understand that. ;) And I do think that 3D brush is worth giving some money.

Unfortunately, since I am only a student, I might not be able to pay 200-250$ for it... :mellow:

Maybe you could make also a "basic" version, with less functions and for non-commercial use, that would be cheaper ?

I guess I will want and see what the

exporting function & some functionality limitations
of the trial version are...

Well, 3D Brush is an awesome app but perhaps at 250 bucks it could be too expensive since it will compete with Zbrush and Mudbox, that has a non commercial version for less 300.

Silo has good sculping tool too while the ones of Blender are way to immature for an real use.

For a complete judging the price politicy, I 'll wait for the complete demo version.

Blender is free and Hexagon has been as low as $1.99.

I would not grow too excited about a high selling price at which people will actually buy.

It's like one of the 3D apps now including a 3D paint programme at no extra charge. Times are a changing.

Guest Loockas

Hi, I must say that your tool is awesome and it's very easy to use. However this topic made me sad because I thought 3D Brush will stay freeware.. As a novice game developer using only free tools, it was really hard for me to find proper texture painter. It would be really cool if there was a free basic version for non-commercial purposes. Otherwise at least will the beta version remain free?

Well, I think they must eat just like the rest of us but the tool may stay in same niche of tools like Milkshape, Fragmotion or Ultimateunwrap ; after all those years in the market, with frequent updates I think that those programs do sell well, surely they don't try to compete in the price range of XSI, Cinema 4 or similar softwares.

If 3dBrush can deliver a solid scultping and detail performance at reasonable price, it will become a "must have" application.

The price you are suggesting seems a bit high for this program. The reason, as pointed out by a few others here, is the competition that is already out there. For under $200 someone could pick up Silo v2 and get poly/SDS modeling as well as sculpting/detailing. For about $500 (during the specials offered and side-grades) people can get modo (www.luxology.com) which, when v3 is released, will contain modeling (poly/SDS), 3D painting (similar to Bodypaint3D), sculpting (like Silo) and basic animation. So, for a little more than twice what you are looking to charge someone can get a very rich 3D package instead. As other have pointed out, there is also ZBrush, which is currently the king of 3D sculpting/detailing. As your website states, 3D Brush is not for creating a model, but for detailing one made in another 3D app. ZBrush, for a little more than the price you are thinking of asking, allows the end-user to create the geometry, UV map it, detail it and paint it (as well as adding new things like recreating topology, posing, etc). Also, as others have pointed out, there are free alternatives out there as well (Blender is not the only free app out there that allows for sculpting/detailing). I could see $50 - $100, but not more than that. However, the ball is certainly in your court. The code and app belongs to you. You can certainly charge what you like and perhaps you are right and it will do well in that price range. I would just research what is out there already and see what the asking prices are and what you get for those prices before making a final decision on what to charge for 3D Brush.

The program is still in need of repairs...when I tried to save tangent and color maps in 3d brush, all it did was have this error message:

---------------------------

CRASH!!!

Version:3D-Brush Beta 1.843

Memory status: OK

Work time: 10 m 42s

TotalPhys: 382 -> 382 Mb

AvailPhys: 24 -> 6 Mb

TotalPageFile: 1845 -> 1845 Mb

AvailPageFile: 801 -> 567 Mb

TotalVirtual: 2047 -> 2047 Mb

AvailVirtual: 1983 -> 1284 Mb

Video: ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series

ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series Secondary

.PDB file missed of stack failed

OK

However, if all the bugs and errors can be taken out, it might be a reasonable purchase. You just need to have someone who can take care of buyers from other countries, as you see, not all of us live in Russia. (I'm a potential American buyer)

And as far as the price goes, $200-250 is probably too high for most of us, especially if you want independent game developers like myself to be interested in such a program.

I have a few suggestions for the final version:

-support for unlimited texture size and more texture formats

-support for more and different types of 3d models

-alpha map capabilities, for transparent textures such as glass and fur/hair ends on characters

-of course, all the current bugs need to be fixed, above all. I cannot stress this enough.

And also, I'm not sure if most people would want to spend $200+ on something like this, especially if it is in U.S. dollars. I might, however, as long as American buyers like myself can send a personal check or something to someone here, I don't see any real problems. Most people may pay $50-150 or somewhere around there, but as long as it does these things I have mentioned, it may be worth around the price you mentioned to me.

Either way, a bug-free version is probably worth every penny to me.