3DCoat Forums

New 3D-Coat website!

• Advanced Member

We are glad to announce that we have new 3D-Coat website!

I want to know your opinion on the new site.

It looks good Andrew!

I really like the cooliris image wall. I am so going to use that on one of my sites. :)

I am going to have to create a few more sculpts so I can get in the gallery. I have just been really busy lately but I will post a finished project on the forums later on.

The only thing I can see missing is the "they say" testimonials section which was pretty good I thought.

All the best,

Andrew, I like the site update. Just one suggestion: I would like the area where the logo goes be be clean. All those things are true, besides, theyre already said elsewhere.

post-867-12635810853985_thumb.jpg

One minor quibble I found, once you navigate to any page like Tutorials just as an example, there seems to be no way to get back to the start page, the one with the News item in the bottom left.

Just a suggestion but usually on websites without a specific Home link they handle this by making the main Logo clickable and that returns you to the main page.

-Jim

Looking pretty good, Andrew. If I may make a small suggestion, I would make sure to add the words "Super Fast" in with the UV layout description. It's accurate and the best selling point, I think. I don't do UV's in Max anymore, as it's much faster to do them in 3DC. If prospective users read that, they'll be more inclined to give it a try and see for themselves...as everyone hates doing UV's.

Absolutely agree. 3DCs UV tools are not talked enough about. They are so great, I layout UVs exclusively in it. I think a little more robust description is in order. :D

(I'll type up a description for ideas)

Also, I think it would be really cool to have the news ticker on the front page display quick news, such as when a new build is posted or a new video tutorial is posted (which would come from the forum, but only allowed through moderation). Anyway, definitely need to have the ticker show when a new build is posted.

• Advanced Member

Tested site on 3G mobile broadband service at max 5-bars connection speed. Main page took about a minute to load, I'll try again later once home.

It took me a while to find the gallery. You should show off more than tucking it away under a Community link! Gallery = your showcase of the best images users have made.

Site was friendly to netbook screens. I personally prefer more white in page designs.

Don't want to too negative but after the little flash applet finally loaded I was surprised to see it was just higher res images of the thumbs below. Perhaps should have a mixture of feature & gallery styles in the applet?

Good luck

Robbie

Update - tested at home and first-time load took 30secs so I must've had a poor connection earlier.

Great update and I too like how the gallery functions now...

You know CoolIris is available as a Browser Plugin right? It's a really nice way to use Google Image search for example. Their other plugin CoolIris Preview is also really nice.

http://www.cooliris.com/product/?ref=start

Also, I think it would be really cool to have the news ticker on the front page display quick news, such as when a new build is posted or a new video tutorial is posted (which would come from the forum, but only allowed through moderation). Anyway, definitely need to have the ticker show when a new build is posted.

I like this idea, in fact maybe even just put a live Twitter feed on the page with a widget:

http://twitter.com/goodies/widget_profile

Then again much of the Twitter feed is reporting fixed bugs, not sure you'd want that many bugs mentioned on the front page of the site.

I took the liberty to do some clean up that I thought might help. Sometimes in design, you want to make sure that elements...whether they be graphics, text, color, or images...that they are organized nicely and don't compete with each other. Right now, you have the logo of Pilgway, 3D Coat, and the secondary text all fighting for attention on the header. That's why you see the adjustments I made to it, in order to help remedy that issue.

The red text in the lower left side of the page is a design principle no-no, in my opinion...as it is a bit too hard to read and is unnecessarily distracting. You can use more subtle methods to highlight something without it being overly distracting. Keep the color scheme as simple as possible. Just a few tweaks is all...nothing major...looks good overall.

See what you think of this mockup, and if it helps any.

A big :good:

• Reputable Contributor

The first is the page in the browser as it is, the 2nd is another mockup...it leaves the Pilgway Icon out of the header, because you have three visual elements competing with each other. The fewer, the cleaner it looks. I like the background you have. Nice way to pull off all the text elements.

In the lower left hand, I left out the Pricing for 2 reasons. One is most software sites generally don't show the pricing on the front page (some viewers may prejudge the software on the price before they look further into what all the application does). The 2nd is tied to the first. You can find the price when you click on the "purchase" or "Buy Now" tab...and what that does is...if they are ok with the price, they are already there ready to purchase with a single click. Just some ideas. Rarely have I ever seen a software site that has the purchase price on the mainpage. Just thought I'd make mention of that.

The first is the page in the browser as it is, the 2nd is another mockup...it leaves the Pilgway Icon out of the header, because you have three visual elements competing with each other. The fewer, the cleaner it looks. I like the background you have. Nice way to pull off all the text elements.

In the lower left hand, I left out the Pricing for 2 reasons. One is most software sites generally don't show the pricing on the front page (some viewers may prejudge the software on the price before they look further into what all the application does). The 2nd is tied to the first. You can find the price when you click on the "purchase" or "Buy Now" tab...and what that does is...if they are ok with the price, they are already there ready to purchase with a single click. Just some ideas. Rarely have I ever seen a software site that has the purchase price on the mainpage. Just thought I'd make mention of that.

Thanks. Just want to say that it have to be like in attached screen. The with of flash banner have to be 915px.

What browser do you use?

post-513-12639040881386_thumb.jpg

As for the page elements not being lined up or sized correctly I had the same problem with this website since I first started using it and it drove me nuts until finally solved it the other day and felt stupid because it was so simple. Hold Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel a little until everything is sized correctly. it solved the same problem I was having with the forum too.

As for the page elements not being lined up or sized correctly I had the same problem with this website since I first started using it and it drove me nuts until finally solved it the other day and felt stupid because it was so simple. Hold Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel a little until everything is sized correctly. it solved the same problem I was having with the forum too.

Thanks for the post, I have solved this issue now it can be resized.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its very nice web !

wha probably i'd do is

1) keep the text fonts and uppercase/lowcase consistent.

example: the "NEWS" word is a totally different font from others in the General page

then, in download and tutorials page, you use different display of font for "TRY 3D COAT" and "Tutorials".

I would decide ONE and use same in every page.

2) not a big fan of 3d coat's logo at right even if it may give more balance within the page. i find it redundant, but that's probably me.

other than that i find the site being great.