3DCoat Forums

Re-naming Voxels...

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

I was watching some of the new videos of the surface tools, and it just dawned on me that an idea to possibly consider is, in the near future, re-name voxels and voxel sculpting, "Clay" or "CG Clay" sculpting. Only mentioning Voxels in the manual and website where the form of sculpting is described in more detail. The reason I say this is, it's still very new to much of the CG World and there is a very large percentage of people in the industry that never heard of 3DC or know very little about it. When they hear Voxel sculpting...unless it's explained to them, they don't know what it is or does, really. Make it simple and easy for them to understand and quickly know why it's unique.

However, if you change the name to Clay or CG Clay Sculpting, it's immediately understood. It's more descriptive....as Voxels are really the method or explanation of HOW it's done. Ultimately, it's clay..CG Clay...and can be shaped and refined as such. I had never heard of Voxel sculpting before I came across 3DC. Even then, I had to read into it to understand what it was.

What say ye, merry gentlemen...and ladies?

• Contributor

I was watching some of the new videos of the surface tools, and it just dawned on me that an idea to possibly consider is, in the near future, re-name voxels and voxel sculpting, "Clay" or "CG Clay" sculpting. Only mentioning Voxels in the manual and website where the form of sculpting is described in more detail. The reason I say this is, it's still very new to much of the CG World and there is a very large percentage of people in the industry that never heard of 3DC or know very little about it. When they hear Voxel sculpting...unless it's explained to them, they don't know what it is or does, really. Make it simple and easy for them to understand and quickly know why it's unique.

However, if you change the name to Clay or CG Clay Sculpting, it's immediately understood. It's more descriptive....as Voxels are really the method or explanation of HOW it's done. Ultimately, it's clay..CG Clay...and can be shaped and refined as such. I had never heard of Voxel sculpting before I came across 3DC. Even then, I had to read into it to understand what it was.

What say ye, merry gentlemen...and ladies?

A good point! Maybe split the difference and name it Voxel Clay. Those who are familiar with "voxels" or want to find out about it, will have a hint, "clay", as to what it's all about.

True words.

This is one of the problems in several text parts of 3D Coat. There are a lot of tools, which are explained in a technically way, sometimes with formula - what is a "no go" for an application, which is made for artists.

I hope some day someone with cg background will have the time and check all the text content and "translates" it to a regular "cg language". I mentioned this problem already in one of my last posts. I already tried to explain 3DC in "a better language" in the german version, but it is not possible always.

Best wishes

Chris

A good point! Maybe split the difference and name it Voxel Clay. Those who are familiar with "voxels" or want to find out about it, will have a hint, "clay", as to what it's all about.

I guess, voxels should be completly banished from the application. You could explain it somewhere in the manual. If somebody is interested, then he or she can read the infos there.

It will not harm 3DC if some technical parts will be changed generally.

• Contributor

I understand it can be an obscure word to some.

I also understand simplicity and streamlining is always good to get a product across.

But I disagree with you guys. :pardon:

There is really a "hype" with the Voxel word.

A lot of people are searching it trough internet.

And right now it leads to either Sensable Tools which cost is insane or 3DCoat which cost is really affordable.

Even on Zbrushcentral there have been requests for voxel implementation and people know what Voxel means,they dont call it anything else.

Anyway,I doubt Andrew would ever change that.

It would be like calling Ptex... NoUVsDisneyThing. :)

True words.

This is one of the problems in several text parts of 3D Coat. There are a lot of tools, which are explained in a technically way, sometimes with formula - what is a "no go" for an application, which is made for artists.

I hope some day someone with cg background will have the time and check all the text content and "translates" it to a regular "cg language". I mentioned this problem already in one of my last posts. I already tried to explain 3DC in "a better language" in the german version, but it is not possible always.

Best wishes

Chris

In fact that is happening right now, as I type this. Klaus Nordby, our resident designer and copy/editor is hard at work fixing all of that stuff, and, fixing all of the Ukrainian English as well. It shall be the new standard hence forth regarding the manual. :)

Anyway, I see both points on this. While voxels at the moment are not well known to most in the CG world, eventually if the name stays it will be much more common. It may take some time for this to happen of course.

On the other hand, a name change for the voxel sculpting tab and all voxel references (except with technical descriptions) may helps in the short term with a more identifiable, easy to remember name.

My personal thoughts are, at least for the moment, the name should remain as is. Either way, I'm sure Andrew and Co. will make the best decision regarding this.

• Reputable Contributor

Well...the word "Voxels" are no more exclusive to 3DC than "Pixels" are to Photoshop. "Voxel Clay" sounds like a winner. The UI naming can remain unchanged, but I would refer to it in the Manual and Marketing material as Voxel Clay...as that is precisely what it is, and it's easily understood.

Yes I was going to say a voxel or "volumetric pixel" is not a new thing, for example LightWave has had Hypervoxels for many years so when I heard about sculpting with voxels I already had a rough idea in my head. On the other hand I do really like the name Voxel Clay, it tells even people who're new to 3D what it does, while still having the Voxel name in it.

In fact that is happening right now, as I type this. Klaus Nordby, our resident designer and copy/editor is hard at work fixing all of that stuff, and, fixing all of the Ukrainian English as well. It shall be the new standard hence forth regarding the manual. :)

This sounds great!!!

• Advanced Member

Voxel Clay sounds good.

By the way, over at the Unity 3d forum's people have been requesting "a voxel based terrain system like Crysis" as Crysis uses voxels for its terrain system.

People really like the idea of being able to create caves, overhangs on cliff's, etc in editor without having to use a modeling program or a height map then importing the asset.

Voxels are "so hot right now" (Zoolander - one of my all time faves) so keeping them in the name would be a good choice.

3D Coat is awesome at creating unrestricted free form terrains and the game making bods need to know that.

My 2 pennies :)

• Advanced Member

I reckon most folks in the world of CG will know what voxels are.

But if Pilgrim feels that catching the attention of newbies is important than perhaps 3D Coat could add the word 'sculpting program' to their front page so then the google spiders will see it. Right now the word 'sculpting' is drawn into various images on the website and so obviously the spiders are blind to it. Search for 'sculpting program' with Google and no sign of 3D Coat shows up. But then again, no sign of ZBrush shows up either.. :)

• Reputable Contributor

I reckon most folks in the world of CG will know what voxels are.

But if Pilgrim feels that catching the attention of newbies is important than perhaps 3D Coat could add the word 'sculpting program' to their front page so then the google spiders will see it. Right now the word 'sculpting' is drawn into various images on the website and so obviously the spiders are blind to it. Search for 'sculpting program' with Google and no sign of 3D Coat shows up. But then again, no sign of ZBrush shows up either.. :)

When Voxels were first released (in beta prior to v3), I heard of them before (like Phil stated...Lightwave has used them for years), but I didn't know if it was just another term for the same "Pixols" that are implemented in ZBrush, or what. I had to read up on it to better understand how it was being implemented. But if I heard "Voxel Clay," then I have a good idea already. Plus, I think it actually sounds more interesting to newcomers. We tend to think everyone is already aware of 3DC and what it offers. That is not the case at all.

Heck...even if I was just a fine artist, hearing the words "Voxel Clay Sculpting" would pique my interest.

• Advanced Member

When Voxels were first released (in beta prior to v3), I heard of them before (like Phil stated...Lightwave has used them for years), but I didn't know if it was just another term for the same "Pixols" that are implemented in ZBrush, or what. I had to read up on it to better understand how it was being implemented. But if I heard "Voxel Clay," then I have a good idea already. Plus, I think it actually sounds more interesting to newcomers. We tend to think everyone is already aware of 3DC and what it offers. That is not the case at all.

Heck...even if I was just a fine artist, hearing the words "Voxel Clay Sculpting" would pique my interest.

Perhaps changing the wording in the marketing may help. But I don't really see much marketing from Pilgrim anyway. :pardon:

But I do see where you're coming from and so perhaps it may have been better to have called the program '3D Clay' or 'Digital Clay' or something more descriptive (and interesting). But this is the second name change and so it's probably too late now.

Perhaps changing the wording in the marketing may help. But I don't really see much marketing from Pilgrim anyway. :pardon:

But I do see where you're coming from and so perhaps it may have been better to have called the program '3D Clay' or 'Digital Clay' or something more descriptive (and interesting). But this is the second name change and so it's probably too late now.

You know the company is called Pilgway right? This is the second time I've seen you say Pilgrim :p:

It wouldn't have made any sense to call it anything like clay when it was new since it didn't really have any clay-like tools at the time, just the micro-vertex painting tools and what is now the sculpt room.

• Advanced Member

You know the company is called Pilgway right? This is the second time I've seen you say Pilgrim :p:

It wouldn't have made any sense to call it anything like clay when it was new since it didn't really have any clay-like tools at the time, just the micro-vertex painting tools and what is now the sculpt room.

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to meet Mr Ranger half way and to agree with him on the fact that a more descriptive name can be helpful. And if I'm not mistaken I think voxels had just started to be added to 3D Brush when it became 3D Coat. But still, either way, it's irrelevant now.