Stills from my new film

Hello everybody,

just finished my new short film - here's a couple of stills:

post-881-12641137137414_thumb.jpg

post-881-12641139832957_thumb.jpg

post-881-12641140283366_thumb.jpg

post-881-12641140455338_thumb.jpg

post-881-1264114162301_thumb.jpg

A huge thanks to Andrew and all those that contributed into making 3DCoatV3, the voxel sculpting and quadrangulation saved me a lot of time and made things possible that I would probably have never achieved with any other software!

Congratulations on completing what looks to be a very interesting film! I love this style of artwork :)

Can you share any production info, rendering times, production length, man-hours?

Robbie

Congratulations on completing what looks to be a very interesting film! I love this style of artwork :)

Can you share any production info, rendering times, production length, man-hours?

Robbie

Thank you :). I started the first concept drawings in the summer of 2007 and began to model around October of that year. So roughly 2,5 years production time with many interruptions for commercial "pay the rent" jobs. The animation part took me about 6 months. Render times ranged from 5 to 30 minutes per frame (full HD) - depending on scene, settings and whether DOF was enabled or not... x 13500 frames. Man-hours? Man-year! :)

I began modeling in Maya, creating the characters that would be animated and the hard-edge architectural scenery first. After that, I began to search for a voxel-based sculpting software to model the more complex and organic shapes needed for the film. First I was pretty desperate cause I could not find any alternatives to ClayTools but after some time I stumbled upon a french forum where someone wrote that there would be voxels in the next 3DCoat version - and that was a blessing. As soon as the first V3 alpha appeared I started using it right away for production purposes.

Your first was yet very original!

Waiting next with pleasure! :)

The film will be premiered at the Clermont-Ferrand film festival. Maybe you live in the same area? :)

Cheers,

Ondrej

Guest artman

wow!I really like your short film.

You remind me of Jan Svankmajer work mixed with some Francis Bacon(the painter not the philosopher). :)

Very cool!

Thanks heaps for the detailed response. Very inspiring to see your efforts! Is there some way to signup for any updates about DVD or online release of the film? You're welcome to come to tropical Queensland, Australia for a showing! :)

Thanks heaps for the detailed response. Very inspiring to see your efforts! Is there some way to signup for any updates about DVD or online release of the film? You're welcome to come to tropical Queensland, Australia for a showing! :)

I'd love to come to Queensland! :)

Here's my distributors website where there should be info about future releases of my film: www.autourdeminuit.com

wow!I really like your short film.

You remind me of Jan Svankmajer work mixed with some Francis Bacon(the painter not the philosopher). :)

Very cool!

I thought of Svankmajer as well! I really love these surreal animations, whether they're stop-motion like Jan's or 3d like this.

Thank you all for those warm comments!

A couple of days ago, I came back from France where my film "MRDRCHAIN" has won the Canal+ award at the International Short Film Festival in Clermont-Ferrand. For those living in the Paris area, there will be a screening of the film at the "Forum des Images" this weekend:

http://www.forumdesimages.fr/fdi/Festivals-Evenements/Festival-du-court-metrage-de-Clermont-Ferrand-2010/Reprise-du-palmares-de-la-competition-Labo

Cheers :)

Ondrej

Thank you all for those warm comments!

A couple of days ago, I came back from France where my film "MRDRCHAIN" has won the Canal+ award at the International Short Film Festival in Clermont-Ferrand. For those living in the Paris area, there will be a screening of the film at the "Forum des Images" this weekend:

http://www.forumdesimages.fr/fdi/Festivals-Evenements/Festival-du-court-metrage-de-Clermont-Ferrand-2010/Reprise-du-palmares-de-la-competition-Labo

Cheers :)

Ondrej

Congratulations on your Award!

Incredible! I can't even begin to imagine how much work goes into making films like these - my hat's off to you!

I really need to put aside some time to look for animated short films, there are so many great pieces of work out there. I think the last thing i watched was a modern stop motion take on Peter and the Wolf.

i liked a lot

really good

i saw jiri barta `s flute player once

i would learn some animation from you

nice moving textures:made with maya?

great use for 3dcoat!

Fantastic I want more please. You reaally show the possibilities

of animation that take us beyond the ordinary. Thanks for the

inspiration.

Awesome, very abstract and awesome. I also am wishing to see this film.