3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] initial subdivison: Catmull-Clark

SonK

Go to solution Solved by Andrew Shpagin,

• Advanced Member

I'd like to import a base mesh(low poly) with the initial subdivision following the catmull-clark subdivision surface rule this would make it interpolate better between Silo/Modo/LW3D,etc. The current subdivision option just isn't useful for me. being able to step up/down SubD levels in 3DC would be nice also, but thats icing on the cake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull%E2%80%93Clark_subdivision_surface

• Like 1

• Solution

I'd like to import a base mesh(low poly) with the initial subdivision following the catmull-clark subdivision surface rule this would make it interpolate better between Silo/Modo/LW3D,etc. The current subdivision option just isn't useful for me. being able to step up/down SubD levels in 3DC would be nice also, but thats icing on the cake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull%E2%80%93Clark_subdivision_surface

Actually Catmull-clark subdivision is used in 3DC as main subd method.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Actually Catmull-clark subdivision is used in 3DC as main subd method.

Maybe i'm not using the wrong import options? But this is what i get when i import a cube into 3DCoat, it's not Catmull-Clark SDS. In Modo you can see the same cube with Catmull-Clark SDS(to the right). I'd would love to see Catmull-Clark SDS implemented into per pixel/micro vertice painting rooms.

post-564-12653523327069_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Maybe i'm not using the wrong import options? But this is what i get when i import a cube into 3DCoat, it's not Catmull-Clark SDS. In Modo you can see the same cube with Catmull-Clark SDS(to the right). I'd would love to see Catmull-Clark SDS implemented into per pixel/micro vertice painting rooms.

post-564-12653523327069_thumb.jpg

Are we using the same 3DC? :)

post-751-12653796036041_thumb.jpg

You can test the obj file yourself.

hope this helps.

akira.

subd_test.obj

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Are we using the same 3DC? :)

post-751-12653796036041_thumb.jpg

You can test the obj file yourself.

hope this helps.

akira.

thanks for the test mesh, it works! So what i did was import your mesh into Modo and export it out as a OBJ(i didn't change anything). Now if i try to bring that new mesh into 3DCoat, it won't do Catmull Clark SDS. So i think it's a bug. Modo writes its OBJ files a certain way that 3DCoat doesn't like, so it won't subdivide it using Catmull-Clark.

I attached the Modo save OBJ(its basically your file just saved out of Modo). Try it on your end and tell me if it subdivides correctly or not. if its a bug, please move the thread to the bugs forum for me mod.

subd_test_modo.obj

• Advanced Member

Your model works.

With "Auto smoothing groups" checked and "Max. Angle" set to 180 degree.

akira.

thanks it does work with those settings. But why does your sample mesh work without "auto smoothing" and "max. angle"? :mellow::nea:

Anyway thanks for the help, i'll keep that in mind for the future.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] initial subdivison: Catmull-Clark