3DCoat Forums

Playing with the Demo. Stuck on a few points

sculptactive

• Advanced Member

I have been playing with 3D-Brush for a day or so. It's a great program.

I seem to have a couple of mental blocks regarding the application which is due I believe to me thinking in ZBrush mode rather than any fault of the program.

Unlike Zbrush where there is subdividing, as I understand it the idea is to import a .OBJ file into 3D-Brush with as much detail as possible but keep it under 100k. Is this correct?

To export or save a displacement map. Do you "File/Save Specular Texture"?

Can you create your own pen tools. If so are there any limits?

The idea of 3D-brush is:

- you load a mesh 0-100 k of polygons with rough details

- 3D-Brush subdivides it up to selected level (0.3-16 millions of polygons). Every polygon is subdivided separately in dependency of its proportions (not like in ZBrush or mudbox where every edge can be divided only on 2 4 8 ... parts). Some polygons can be divided for example in proportion 7:354 :) (it is available in 2.01, I have sent the link to you) Any time you can change that resolution (see Commands->Change mesh resolution). Resolution can be changed not only 4 times like in ZB but for example on 30%. But it is better to increase (not decrease) the resolution during th edit process.

- Edit geometry/color/transparency/specular per new vertex

The displacement will be saved like difference between vertex position and it's position on layer 0. So it is better not to paint small details on layer 0. To save displacement you should do File->Save depth of visible layers to texture

You can add as many pens as you want (it can be made from OBJ file, TGA, BMP or ABR file). But it is better to separate different kinds of pens into different folders (materials/strips are also can be separated into several folders). Also press RMB on pen and look at the possibility to edit pens in Photoshop. It will help to create pens colored/lustred. If you will create pen from 32-bit TGA the Alpha will be treated like depth and RGB - like a color of pen. If pen is created from BMP or ABR it will be treated like pure alpha.

Also, the information for anyone: the latest update is available at http://www.mediafire.com/?8nejm1u9lmg

It is not officially released but is stable and good enough