3DCoat Forums

question about subd workflow and texture

pif

I'm puzzeled as to what would be the best workflow after painting in 3dc. I import a pre modelled low poly mesh from lw into 3dc. Subdivide it and start painting. Then i export it again as a mid poly mesh to lw. Textures look great. When i turn on subd in lw the texture looks distorted. How can i prevent this? Use a high subd conversion in 3dc? Any special export settings i missed? Must be doing something wrong. Any advise anyone?

thx

Pif

Thanks for the reply Abnranger. Think i found a solution, switched in lw from normal subpatch to CC subpatch and solved the error. Though i do not understand why. LW wouldn't plain subpatch the object anymore. I build a fairly lores model from quads in LW. Imported in 3dc for per pixel painting with a 28576 subdivision automapping, no smoothing and a 4k texture. Added some color. Exported as a LWO object and once imported in LW 9.6 i need to subpatch the quads it with CC. Perhaps i should freeze the subpatched object in LW import in 3dc no subdivision and than export and leave the subpatch Tab alone. It's a non organic shape so no big problems there but what about organic shapes imported from LW?

What I do to get a clean UV in LW is to use the normal subpatch type, make your UV map, then go to Windows > Vertex Maps and under the Texture area go to your UV amp and pick Linear Corners where it says Linear (just click the text). This will round out the UV just like your model, but keep the corners sharp so that they match up with each other.

Like this:

2010-01-24_2338.png

When you import into 3D Coat there is a similar option called UV Set Smoothing, I forget the name of the actual option but it's something like "keep corners sharp". This should avoid any distortion in your map due to subpatching.