3DCoat Forums

Buying new pc need advice on graphic card

malcolmd

Hi am going to buy a new pc soon need advice on graphic cards. I know that i need NVidia card but am i better off buying a single expensive card like GTX 295 or would i be better buying 2 cards run as SLI like GTX 275 1793MB or GTX 285 2GB.Does 3D Coat use both cards and would it be an advantage to have between 3.5GB 0r 4GB of graphics memory. Finally regarding system memory thinking of 12GB is this allright.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi am going to buy a new pc soon need advice on graphic cards. I know that i need NVidia card but am i better off buying a single expensive card like GTX 295 or would i be better buying 2 cards run as SLI like GTX 275 1793MB or GTX 285 2GB.Does 3D Coat use both cards and would it be an advantage to have between 3.5GB 0r 4GB of graphics memory. Finally regarding system memory thinking of 12GB is this allright.

If you do a search on this forum for "Graphic Card" you will find this sort of discussion already covered at some length....but the short of it is, no...most every CG application out there utilizes only one card/ GPU. So, if you have an SLI or dual-GPU, it won't help at all. It's best to just get the best single GPU you can afford. A GTX 275 (overclocked a bit using software it ships with...it can outperform the 285 and save you $100+) is what I recently bought, and very happy with. I wouldn't shell out the cash for the top model as the newer generation NVidia is due out soon.

• Reputable Contributor

In the faq it reads, there's no advantage for multiple gpu (eg.g. two nvidia cards). That's a pity, wouldn't it be possible to use one card for graphics and the other one for cuda processing?

It would be especially nice if some of the calculation (long wait times when doing some voxel operations, such as merge or switch from surface to voxels) load could be sent to a second GPU to help crunch those numbers. Don't know if Andrew can do that or not....but right now, a beefy single GPU is doing pretty well. I just wish something could be done about the excessive wait times.