3DCoat Forums

More painting/ documentation Tutorials?

mwgrafx

I was recently playing with the paint tools and had several questions that arised that were not well documented. I feel that the voxels are definitely getting the love but paint tools aren't. A few questions:

1. When I use the material tab and import an image to use for paint, is there a way to paint exactly the image that Im using. It is heavily influenced by the color in the color settings and not the image.

2. How can I paint in the cavities? I see the option in the drop down for more or less but after playing with the slider, I see no changes.

3. After painting a diffuse, I then want to paint the bump based upon the diffuse. How do I go about that? Like a stone texture.

I simple project like an ornate stone pillar would be an awesome project to showcase 3DC capabilities, or any simple project. I followed the helmet tutorial but I know that 3DC can do so much more. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

• Contributor

I was recently playing with the paint tools and had several questions that arised that were not well documented. I feel that the voxels are definitely getting the love but paint tools aren't. A few questions:

1. When I use the material tab and import an image to use for paint, is there a way to paint exactly the image that Im using. It is heavily influenced by the color in the color settings and not the image.

2. How can I paint in the cavities? I see the option in the drop down for more or less but after playing with the slider, I see no changes.

3. After painting a diffuse, I then want to paint the bump based upon the diffuse. How do I go about that? Like a stone texture.

I simple project like an ornate stone pillar would be an awesome project to showcase 3DC capabilities, or any simple project. I followed the helmet tutorial but I know that 3DC can do so much more. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

I saw something from Andrew that suggests the latest version, 3.2, is to be released when the documentation is finished. :D

I'll see what I can do to answer them!

1. When I use the material tab and import an image to use for paint, is there a way to paint exactly the image that I'm using. It is heavily influenced by the color in the color settings and not the image.

Yes, use grey scale colors only. A slightly higher then mid grey (RGB: 178, 178, 178) seems to be the sweet spot.

This I'll need to see what you're painting on. But generally speaking, as long as there are cracks or other cavities that "fit" within your brush area, then it should fill color in using the "More in cavity" function. Also, the higher the "Cavity scale" the more it will affect it.

There is no automatic way to do this. I usually try to paint the bump and color at the same time when doing this, even if the bump isn't exactly where I want it, it will give me some kind of idea of where the high/low areas are and can later go in and put more detail in as I see fit.

Though, there is a semi-automatic way to do this... But, it's by painting your bump first and then painting the color, using "More on heights", but you'll need to adjust the "height scale" to have it work as you need. Also this isn't dead accurate, you'll still need to manually tweak some areas.

I'll see what I can do, but I can't make any promises. I have lots of projects in the pipeline.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. Its kind of hard to understand the tools full features just by "playing" with it. I dont think that is suitable enough.

@geothefaust - Thanks for all the effort you put into the community, I was planning on doing a tutorial myself, basically a game prop. Only on painting tools. I understand the basics of the program, Im just trying to dig deeper.

Have at it! The more people pooling their efforts on training materials the better for all of the users. :)

Plus, I really like seeing all of the different ways people work and techniques unique to them.