3DCoat Forums

Nvidia Fermi

SonK

• Advanced Member

Who's crazy enough to buy the first generation nVidia Fermi GPU due out this March(knock on wood)? Its got 512 core, double that of the last generation! There is also CUDA 3.0! Are there specific hardware features in Fermi that will give performance benefits to 3DCoat?

• Advanced Member

I hadn't heard about it but I'm in the market for a new video card so now I'm curious.

My only concern is first generation Fermi will be really really hot, i might have to buy a bigger case to house it along with large fans. A 2GB consumer version of Fermi should be available also. Nvidia plans on a Fermi refresh(28nm?) in Q4 2010 too, should be cheaper and run cooler.

That's a good concern. Andrew thinks some of my 3DC crashes are due to an overheating video card. I'm wondering if that may be the cause of some of my PC crashes too. When I got this video card it wasn't the top of the line but fairly recent and I also got this 24" monitor. I wonder if the 8800 card has trouble with a 1920x1200 resolution.

I'm looking at this FIRMI on nVidia's site. I'm wondering if it's one of these hard core professional cards that costs a fortune like the Quadros. If I upgrade soon i'm probably not looking to spend much over $200.

Well FERMI and GTX300 are based on the same chipsets

But FERMI gonna cost like TESLA (for pros)

And GTX300 gonna cost like GTX200 (for consumers)

But the GTX300 with 1.5gb gonna be twice fast than GTX200 for CUDA

FERMI are just GTX300 with more memory

Kinda like current quadros are just GTX200 with more memory, different drivers, better quality parts

Well FERMI and GTX300 are based on the same chipsets

But FERMI gonna cost like TESLA (for pros)

And GTX300 gonna cost like GTX200 (for consumers)

But the GTX300 with 1.5gb gonna be twice fast than GTX200 for CUDA

FERMI are just GTX300 with more memory

Kinda like current quadros are just GTX200 with more memory, different drivers, better quality parts

GTX4xx will be the next generation Nvidia grapjhic cards.

They are rebranding again their old card 8800gtx --> 9800 gtx --> gts 250 --> gts 350.

I'm waiting for Fermi but indeed it's a shame!

• Reputable Contributor

My only concern is first generation Fermi will be really really hot, i might have to buy a bigger case to house it along with large fans. A 2GB consumer version of Fermi should be available also. Nvidia plans on a Fermi refresh(28nm?) in Q4 2010 too, should be cheaper and run cooler.

That's why I always try to look for the models/brands that have aftermarket cooling installed from the factory...they are generally factory overclocked as well. The advantage is better cooling of course, but also they are much quieter and give you considerably more overclocking headroom.

Tom's Hardware Review_Overclocking GTX 275

• Advanced Member

Fermi will also support C++

Its gonna be the world first GPU running C++

Current cuda GPU run C

Gonna be available in 1.5gb (geforce GTX300) and 3gb and 6gb (Tesla 2 aka FERMI)

That sounds interesting, im guessing then some graphics apps will be pure GPU code based. I wonder if this is the case if Andrew will make a Fermi version so it just does everything including the GUI in GPU and makes it even faster if you have a card to do this. I might be wrong but im thinking the current CUDA support is for the rendering/preview part but maybe 3DC already does it like this. :)

That sounds interesting, im guessing then some graphics apps will be pure GPU code based. I wonder if this is the case if Andrew will make a Fermi version so it just does everything including the GUI in GPU and makes it even faster if you have a card to do this. I might be wrong but im thinking the current CUDA support is for the rendering/preview part but maybe 3DC already does it like this. :)

Actually the point in Cuda is to aid in voxel sculpting, that's why the option to turn it on/off is under the Voxels menu. I'm pretty sure that's the only thing it's used for.