3DCoat Forums

Extrude evenly around the form using splines?

The Candy-floss Kid

• Advanced Member

Hi folks,

I've been trying to create a jacket collar for one of my characters by running splines around the voxel surface and applying extrude.

However no matter what extrude setting I use - the relief/extrusion always seems screen dependent.

Is there a way in v3.2 to mark an area with splines along the surface so that selected area is extruded out per the normals of the form - evenly around the form ?

I tried using marked areas using splines and the pose tool to extrude out the selected area but this also applied the selected area based on screen direction

and so the results ended up a little screwy.

For front facing extrusions the default method is superb but I'd love the option of applying an even extrude right around the forms normals solely dependent on the area selected.

Perhaps the new surface tools offer a method of achieving this that I haven't considered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi folks,

I've been trying to create a jacket collar for one of my characters by running splines around the voxel surface and applying extrude.

However no matter what extrude setting I use - the relief/extrusion always seems screen dependent.

Is there a way in v3.2 to mark an area with splines along the surface so that selected area is extruded out per the normals of the form - evenly around the form ?

I tried using marked areas using splines and the pose tool to extrude out the selected area but this also applied the selected area based on screen direction

and so the results ended up a little screwy.

For front facing extrusions the default method is superb but I'd love the option of applying an even extrude right around the forms normals solely dependent on the area selected.

Perhaps the new surface tools offer a method of achieving this that I haven't considered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking to do similar myself the other evening.

I think I remember watching a video which said to use Copy? or similar which showed painting on top of a voxel object and then when hiding the voxel, a copy of what was painted on was left.

Of course here we're looking for more control with using splines.

Being shown how to extrude out or bevel rings around a cylinder would answer the questions I had the other evening...

-Will

• Contributor

...I just found out that :) .It s a real problem,the spline gets drawn in 3D with real snapping on model

but when pressing Apply it just takes into account how the spline looks in the 2D screenspace.I think you should post in support forum,it is really an issue.

Meanwhile,you can go in retopo room, draw yourself stuff with Retopo tools then use voxel Cloth tool option "pick from Retopo" along with "Cloth thickness" .

• Advanced Member
Being shown how to extrude out or bevel rings around a cylinder would answer the questions I had the other evening...

Thanks Will for your reply, usually the way I quickly do what you mention is to select the Cut&Clone tool then draw out a marquee the rectangular marquee tool across the form from a side view and size up the selection.

Using the Copy tool unfortunately wasn't giving me an accurate enough edge at the resolution I'm working on.

----------------------------------------------

I have however found a solution that works fairly neatly to create a nice jacket collar etc using the masking facility of the Surface Tool ,Sf. Freeze...

>switching to orthographic,

>symmetry across the x

>choose a side view

>switch to Surface Tools

>choose Sf. Freeze

>draw out the basic collar over the form using the irregular marquee selection tool

>switch to the front view to add the collar lapels

delete any aberrations that may appear due to symmetry mode by holding down the cntrl key with the irregular marquee selection tool.

>cntrl+shift+i to invert the mask then extrude out the collar using the Absolute tool with a large brush setting set to constant depth and radius.Finally tidying up any suspect areas with the fill tool as well as using the fill tool for where the collar connects against the form.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks Artman for your reply and great suggestion.

The behavior of the extrusion using the spline selection I assumed after many attempts was the default behavior rather than a bug?

It would be great to have an option be able to add extrusions using splines around the form based on the forms normals solely and not the angle to camera.

Hmmm, just thinking out loud but being able to use the retopo room to draw things like area selections that could be ported back to the voxel room (I guess as freeze selections) is a thought after reading all this - actually sounds like a cool idea to me!

My prob with voxels is I still think in terms of polys or NURBS; making selections, extruding, beveling etc.

Voxels makes it really easy to jam shapes together and create by base forms but I'm having probs learning now how to detail the objects I have in hand - extruding out a coupla rings around a cylinder is a good example (I was working on a engine turbine)...

Brushing is too imprecise at for me at the moment, especially for my hard surface models.

-Will

PS - Thinking further, I guess I could have added a parametric cylinder, scaled it up to match the turbine and then gooped the two voxels together but having some way to extrude out a selection would have followed the existing shape better and in one operation.