3DCoat Forums

3dconnexion Space Pilot....cheap

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

I noticed on 3dConnexion's website today that they are selling refurbished Space Pilots for $189...they were $400 not even a year ago, and was their top of the line model. Anybody who is a serious 3DC user and or uses Maya, Max, Softimage or Blender on a regular basis REALLY should heavily consider getting one. This model is really worth looking at instead of just the Navigator, as the extra programmable buttons really make it easy to keep your non-mouse hand on the device most of the time, instead of having to jump back and forth between the keyboard for shortcuts. Just thought I'd bring it up, as this is one of the features of 3DC that remains very attractive to me....support for these devices.

Edit: Ebay link...the link I originally pointed to, no longer offers them. I guess 3DConnexion thought it was too much of a threat to the new SpacePilot PRO model that replaced it as the top of the line.

$72 for what was $400 less than a year ago...can't beat that with a stick. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/3DConnexion-USB-SpacePilot-3D-Motion-Controller_W0QQitemZ290423300564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMice?hash=item439e93e1d4

• Reputable Contributor

can you use the 3d connexion device to rotate your voxel object while you are sculpting on it with a brush using a mouse or tablet(like a potter's wheel)? Allowing me to rotate a sculpt object while I an painting on it?

I never tried that...you can certainly lay down spline points like that, but I'm not sure how efficient it would be to paint with a brush stroke that way. It's very close though....you can slowly rotate the model and paint in a very natural fashion. It literally is like holding the model with one hand and sculpting/painting with the other. Once you start using it, you're spoiled for good. :)

EDIT: I have tried that since, in Voxels, and yes...you can hold down the cursor and rotate the cap/knob on SpacePilot to get a the effect all the way around. How accurate depends on the brush and your steady hand, I guess. But it's certainly possible to create grooves or details in a 360 degress like that.

Some video:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got it in the mail today. I'm navigating like a drunk through the mountains, but slowly getting the hang of it! It's dimensions are a lot larger than you'd think from the picture, but it's quite comfortable.

Only thing I can't get the ctrl, alt or shift keys to work with 3d Coat. They do work with Blender (it's fantastic in Blender). Am I missing something? I'm using the latest driver from the 3Dconnexion website for windows 7, 64 bit. Anyone???

Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor

Just got it in the mail today. I'm navigating like a drunk through the mountains, but slowly getting the hang of it! It's dimensions are a lot larger than you'd think from the picture, but it's quite comfortable.

Only thing I can't get the ctrl, alt or shift keys to work with 3d Coat. They do work with Blender (it's fantastic in Blender). Am I missing something? I'm using the latest driver from the 3Dconnexion website for windows 7, 64 bit. Anyone???

Thanks!

Open the 3dconnexion Control Panel > Button Configuration (tab)...and check to see that they are correctly assigned. They should be by default, no matter what application you use. If they work in other apps, then you know it works, mechanically...just something on the software side is funky.

Open the 3dconnexion Control Panel > Button Configuration (tab)...and check to see that they are correctly assigned. They should be by default, no matter what application you use. If they work in other apps, then you know it works, mechanically...just something on the software side is funky.

Finally got it! I checked the buttons and all was o.k. So, I thought no harm in re-installing the driver. Poof! it works!

really that cheap??? I just want one!! Thank you for youe information!

Here's a link to the ebay seller I got mine from. The ad says over 10 left @ $80 each. I'm very pleased with my purchase - it's like new (though they are used) and they shipped it quick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPACEPILOT-3DCONNEXION-LOGITECH-3D-MOTION-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ270522002053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efc5e2a85

No driver included, but I downloaded the latest from from http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html

Edit: I just looked again... now they have them for $67! Guess I could have saved $13 by waiting a week. Such is life. :D

Finally got it! I checked the buttons and all was o.k. So, I thought no harm in re-installing the driver. Poof! it works!

Ugg! Well, it all worked -until I shut down. - Same problem again today (buttons didn't work in 3d-coat) until I re-installed the driver again. I've emailed 3dconnexion about it, so I'll see what they say, but I'm guessing it's my machine. :( Funny though, no problems like that in blender at all. The buttons continue to work, whereas they don't in 3d coat till driver re installation.

On the bright side, I'm getting really good at re-installing drivers! lol

• Reputable Contributor

Ugg! Well, it all worked -until I shut down. - Same problem again today (buttons didn't work in 3d-coat) until I re-installed the driver again. I've emailed 3dconnexion about it, so I'll see what they say, but I'm guessing it's my machine. :( Funny though, no problems like that in blender at all. The buttons continue to work, whereas they don't in 3d coat till driver re installation.

On the bright side, I'm getting really good at re-installing drivers! lol

I think it's perhaps a matter of you having to manually open the 3dconnexion Control Panel when using 3DC. When I use Max, it automatically recognizes the device and turns on program running in the background (you can see the little icon in your system tray in the lower right hand part of the screen. If you don't see that when 3DC is running, then it's not running. Although 3DC supports the devices, it doesn't have the deep connection that the major 3D applications do.

I think it's perhaps a matter of you having to manually open the 3dconnexion Control Panel when using 3DC. When I use Max, it automatically recognizes the device and turns on program running in the background (you can see the little icon in your system tray in the lower right hand part of the screen. If you don't see that when 3DC is running, then it's not running. Although 3DC supports the devices, it doesn't have the deep connection that the major 3D applications do.

Ah, you were on the right track. I found that running it as Administrator fixed it! Thanks for your help. I'm really enjoying working with it.