3DCoat Forums

Voxel modeling over a guide form on another layer?

The Candy-floss Kid

• Advanced Member

Hi Folks,

I was hoping to voxel model over a simplified guide skeleton on another layer and thought that 3DC may have a way of seeing under layers through the layers much like in Lightwave's background layer system.

There doesn't seem to be a way to change the opacity of voxel layers or switch a voxel layer to a wireframe ?

Pressing the W key to see the voxel wireframe seems to toggle on all layer wireframes only when the key is held down?

Pressing the 4 key only toggles on wireframe in polygonal modes?

Any help or confirmation that what I'm attempting to do is not possible would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Mac: 3DC V3.2

I second this request. I frequently find myself wanting to be able to sculpt on a voxel layer while at the same time being able to see (in a wireframe or semitransparent mode) a layer which overlaps the layer I am sculpting.

Perhaps the "eye" row of icons in the voxel tree could alternate between an open eye, an open but semitransparent eye, and a closed eye. The open but semitransparent icon would indicate a state in which the layer was not effected by sculpting tools, but could still be seen (either wireframe or semitransparent).

• Reputable Contributor

You can make a new shader with opacity. I made a Black color png file for the diffuse lighting texture and set diffused strength at around 60 Then reduced the shader opacity to about 43 plus reduced the Frz&Sel, Object Opacity to 0, really don't need to change that one though. It just made a little less contrast.

The reference model goes in the bottom layer, the one with less opacity and your sculpting in the top layer.

The voxel ball which is in the top layer is inside the reference model.

This is a solution till we get layer type opacity, it will help...

post-518-12660989563565_thumb.jpg

...This might not be the best solution but till we get layer type opacity, it will help...

Thanks. I may not be doing everything correctly here. Does this solution allow you to sculpt the layer that is "inside" the transparent layer?

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks. I may not be doing everything correctly here. Does this solution allow you to sculpt the layer that is "inside" the transparent layer?

Yes, by all means you can sculpt...

Edit: I had edited my post so my quote is a little different from your post...

• Reputable Contributor

Also your voxel material that you are sculpting has to be fairly close to the surface of your semi-transparent reference model or it will not do anything...

Edit: You can hide and unhide your reference model, to move large areas of voxel or surface mass at the start, then fine tune it.