3DCoat Forums

Quick Question about displacement

probiner

I tryed to search around here, but search engine of the forum can be quite hard.

How to use Texture Baking Tool to get a displacement map out of a Per Pixel Painting session. With Microvertex i got no problems.

When i bake it comes out with no displacement data (and is not gray)

When i export it come out with lots of bad pixels.

Anyone can give me a tip or point a good thread?

Thanks

post-1389-12670669748201_thumb.png

I tryed to search around here, but search engine of the forum can be quite hard.

How to use Texture Baking Tool to get a displacement map out of a Per Pixel Painting session. With Microvertex i got no problems.

When i bake it comes out with no displacement data (and is not gray)

When i export it come out with lots of bad pixels.

Anyone can give me a tip or point a good thread?

Thanks

Hi probiner. The thing is you can't get displacement in per-pixel painting! Only with microvertex. PPP is good for baking normal maps

From the manual (page 20):

The only disadvantage in comparison to microvertex painting is that per-pixel painting does not support vector displacement, only normal displacement. Sometimes this makes it an essential point, so we leaved both approaches in place. For example, using the microvertex approach to paint on baked voxel sculptures gives you better results...

Cheers :)

When i read that i understood that it would support height maps (Grayscale), since these are calculated on normals, but not vector displacement, like Modo's vector displacement (RGB).

So ok, i understood it wrong. So you mean PPP supports no mesh displacement at all, just normal shading, right? It Makes sense

Anyway in the image on my first post, you can see that i was able to export a displacement map. Sure, with lots of bad pixels but it's there :D

Cheers

• Reputable Contributor

I deleted my last post because the render was poor. Here is a better one rendered in 3dCoat, with the displacement map made in per-pixel.(the image on the right). It will not displace in per-pixel mode but still can be used as a displacement map in another application. As you found out texture baking does not work in per-pixel mode but saving as a displacement map under the texture menu does.

The image on the left is real displacement in Carrara.

This does not help figuring out your problem but you know exporting for displacement does work in per-pixel mode

Is that ptex format you were using, it seems to have a few bugs right now.

all the bumps on the mace were meant to be there...

post-518-1267133153283_thumb.jpg