3DCoat Forums

Sculpt+Move+Symmetry=vertices on middle plane stuck?

buexe

Hi this is a fairly basic question I guess and a search didnt lead me to a result, neither consulting the manual.

So here we go:

I am in sculpt mode and use the move brush with symmetry on. This works great, I love it! But when I try to move

some of the vertices that are exactly on the symmetry plane, they dont move : (

If I turn off symmetry I can move them, but then I also move them easily from the symmetry plane.

Does anyone have a clue what I could do to have the vertices come along?

I mean in an ideal world they would also move, but stay on the symmetry plane....

Anyway, sorry to bother you guys with such a trivial question!

Thanks and cheers,

3dcoat-fan buexe : )

Hi buexe and welcome! :)

In Sculpt mode Move tool doesn't move, unfortunately, surface along symmetry plane. Draw tool works fine!

So possibly turn off the symmetry plane and accurately move the surface in those areas, and then turn symmetry back on

Good Luck :drinks:

• Contributor

Hi this is a fairly basic question I guess and a search didnt lead me to a result, neither consulting the manual.

So here we go:

I am in sculpt mode and use the move brush with symmetry on. This works great, I love it! But when I try to move

some of the vertices that are exactly on the symmetry plane, they dont move : (

If I turn off symmetry I can move them, but then I also move them easily from the symmetry plane.

Does anyone have a clue what I could do to have the vertices come along?

I mean in an ideal world they would also move, but stay on the symmetry plane....

Anyway, sorry to bother you guys with such a trivial question!

Thanks and cheers,

3dcoat-fan buexe : )

Do like Daniel said but hold Ctrl while dragging it will keep them at least from moving left/right.

Of course symmetry wont be "absolutely" preserved.

If you need to preserve symmetry I recommend merging object to voxels where you can use move brush

along symmetry line.

Thanks for your help! At least I didnt miss smething obvious. I noticed that I can "move" them with the draw brush, but only along their surface normal, right?

Sometimes I want to move them a little bit mor on that plane, I guess Ill turn off symmetry then and use my magic MEL script to make it symmetric and placed on the plane again later in Maya.

Thanks again!

buexe