3DCoat Forums

Street Fighter IV 's CrimsonViper W.i.P

artman

• Contributor

Here is a work in progress of SF4 CrimsonViper..100% 3DC as usual. :brush:

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Viper

post-1195-12705804976978_thumb.jpg

Very unfinished,needs work on hair and clothes very much still but I'm happy with the direction shes going..

I work on her when Im bored out of my mind of the 100mil mecha madness... :)

3DCoat is very good tool for this kind of character work...It feels like working in Photoshop. :D

• Contributor

Great model, that's a character alright, I've seen a lot of people like this one, they live among us. lol Do we live among them? :good:

Thanks man,

lol Of course,if you spend more time playing Street Fighter than going outside you probably live among them. :D

I see your point tough,but I would not like to play 3d fighting games with people I see in the bus everyday as characters...thats why Fantasy is there. :)

@3DArtist :

Thank you sir,

yeah,she can definitely hurt you,better not upset her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ZJttn1UOa4k&feature=related

• Advanced Member

"lol Of course"

of course, but that wasn't exactly my point. I've seen women dressed like this one (not exactly but close), people who's OK but always something is wrong there... if you know what I mean. And men too. As they get older this is getting worst. I'm old enough to see it. I still look like almost a hippie. I'm trying hard. Its all about the dress anyway. And the mask. :drinks:

Reality is beyond fantasy sometimes. Unfortunately.

• Contributor

Artman Very Nice WIP, Might I be so bold as to say Everything works for me but the face that jaw line is a little too masculine. Looking at the Reference she has a slight pretty face whilst being Voluptuous in figure, Might i suggest your just reduce the Jawline somewhat to pretty her up?

Great work though :clapping:. Good to see your use of this tool more and more, it holds you comments and suggestions up nicely, I wish others would be more sharing.

• Contributor

Artman Very Nice WIP, Might I be so bold as to say Everything works for me but the face that jaw line is a little too masculine. Looking at the Reference she has a slight pretty face whilst being Voluptuous in figure, Might i suggest your just reduce the Jawline somewhat to pretty her up?

I know,I know... the jawline is awful :D and its even worse from the side view...when I start working on the face it will be the first thing Im gonna fix.

But she will still have a little masculinity in the face,I tried making her more like reference but it was too hard for me, after 4 or 5 attempts I gave up...:(

(the presence and personnality were not good)

Making a woman face is very difficult for me.

• 4 months later...
  • Contributor

I forced myself unto another 30min painful session on her.Very uncomfortable.

I had to fuse vest and blazer so no space is left inbetween them for normalmap baking.

It took a lot out of the presence she had with the vest a little opened...very frustrating but I had no choice,

its a gamemodel afterall and I want it not too much multiparted(easy to retopo,bake and rig).

On a less depressing note, surprisingly its possible I finish this one...I can see the end now. :)

Face work(havent even really touched face yet),hairwork,little pocket for the vest...totally possible to finish.

post-1195-12817710829415_thumb.jpg

SeeYa nExT updt! 8)

(everything is pure 3DCoat btw so if anyone have question about how a part is made,feel free to ask. :brush:

But I think by now,pretty much everyone knows how to make clothes and stuff...)

• Contributor

Nice. I love the sleeves/gloves, they have a nice defintion. you're too far into the sculpt (since voxel can't allow major shape changes when too much detail is done), but i would made a few change in the proportions: hips are too large, same goes for the thigh, and breast is too low (i think, that one may be a perspective effect).

I didn't play the game much, but if i remember correctly, viper is verticaly designed, she's very tall, even her torso is over elongated.

viperpp.gif

Quick edit, don't mind the deformation please :>

• Contributor

Nice. I love the sleeves/gloves, they have a nice defintion. you're too far into the sculpt (since voxel can't allow major shape changes when too much detail is done), but i would made a few change in the proportions: hips are too large, same goes for the thigh, and breast is too low (i think, that one may be a perspective effect).

I didn't play the game much, but if i remember correctly, viper is verticaly designed, she's very tall, even her torso is over elongated.

viperpp.gif

Quick edit, don't mind the deformation please :>

I totally agree with your comments here.In fact,those things always bothered me but the problem was those friggin clothes are already "extracted"

this is what makes them such a pain to manipulate.So i had a bunch of saved iterations experimenting with those changes,all ending with pretty horrible results(loss of attitude,deformation on really good spot I liked ect....)

But now that I went through the pain of fusing and conforming the vest and the blazer...I can now try out those changes. :D

So how is it?I managed to destroy the arms but everything else more or less survived the changes.

Is it better? I find it worst than the other( at this point I think i lost all form of objectivity :) )

post-1195-12817763906651_thumb.jpg

Also jsut to write a short story here,designwise I stopped pretty early going for the anime look of the game.

It was my plan at first,but all my references were condraditory

(one is super slender and limby,one has a tomboy look with very straight shoulder and supershort neck while 2 others have very long neck,

also one has a kind of Disney thing going on....plus they also have all a different haircut...)

Look at this one...I started with this,only to fail miserably even with just trying to do the face.

post-1195-1281777022458_thumb.jpg

The guy who drew that wants my death. :wacko:

Ears are gigantic,Hands are impossibly huge...of course his version looks far better than mine but I cant do her like that,

I dont have the skills to reproduce a drawing like that using 3DCoat.

But anyway I kept working little 20 minutes sessions here and there..

then at some point I was looking at her and I finally "saw her" ...like a super badass cinematographic Corporate executive.

Straight coming out of a Jerry Bruckeimer movie.I dont know why but I then decided to cast Jessica Biel for the role.

So this is why she still have a little chunk in the trunk.

I slimmed down her butt a little just for you (jokin) but I wont make her waist waspy thin.

Notice that the waist is hidden behind the vest and the vest is not a speedo.

I also made neck shorter as it was definitely too loong in previous shot.

But still,is this iteration better? or worse.. What do you think?:unsure:

• Contributor

For the reference issue, yeah I perfectly understand your problem, those responsible for those drawings are very good 2d artists, but their work is hard to convert in 3d, they use common imagery to hide the fact that this wouldn't work in "real world" (aka volume) as is, that's what you call "anime style".

For the tomboy look, that's a very thin line, what I would do, is start with your current strong jawline, and rework the neck muscles to flow into the head, smooth/add a bit of fat and skin relax to make the transition from neck to jawlinecause 'especially important under the ear following the front neck muscles (sorry don't know the name of those muscles in english) right now, your neck is too tubular, and this leads to a cut from jaw to neck, that accentuate the square jaw effect.

That way you can progressively turn the man head into something more feminine. That's how I would do it anyway. As for using celebrity references, you can use it to transform the head into your interpretation, but don't copy 1:1, most of pictures you will find on the net are so enhanced colorwise and lightwise (without mentioning photoshoping) that it could make your head "butter sculpt" which is to be avoided at all cost (I tend to do that and struggle with it myself). Even for girl who tends to have smoother features, its always neat to have some strong definition in some areas.

For your new proportions, I think you should, well, cut almost 1/3 of the hips on x axis. That may sound a bit violent, but right now if you imagine the skeleton of Viper on your sculpt you will understand that's what is needed. Same goes for the shoulders, since you took the breast up, she regained a strong upper part, but even if it's viper, i think it reads as "man" right now. Viper looks strong and impressive, i would say make her waist still slightly larger than her shoulders, but very slightly. A strong waist in her case with her muscular leg will help sell her "i take care of my business" look making her stand look solid.

If you look at your reference, you will see the underlining structure of the legs, that somethign you probably want to reproduce too, it will make her look more dynamic, and bring a more feminine touch to the model, and she looks like she has some low jeans, you probably want to make her crotch higher too.

Long comment, hope you find it helpful, and glad you take it well.

• Contributor

@michalis: Thnax man! I still think original is better than mine so its great compliment.

As far as renaming her I think I would receive some death threats from overzealous StreetFighter fans. :D

I'll jsut go with the word "redesign" and I'll be safe....

For the tomboy look, that's a very thin line, what I would do, is start with your current strong jawline, and rework the neck muscles to flow into the head, smooth/add a bit of fat and skin relax to make the transition from neck to jawlinecause 'especially important under the ear following the front neck muscles (sorry don't know the name of those muscles in english) right now, your neck is too tubular, and this leads to a cut from jaw to neck, that accentuate the square jaw effect.

I havent worked on face much yet I keep it for the end but at least I thought I sorted out the jawline

(if you look at my first image you will see it was pretty damn horrible(But I was aware of it...)

But now I thought she was feminine enough in facial features while not cute of course.

If I understand correctly you want me to make the viewer see the upper neck muscles flow into the jawline....

I can do that for the side and 3/4 view...but not for the front view.

Neck muscles are hidden by the jaw...even on women.Nobody has bigger neck than jaw.

If you can show me how with a 2D tweak maybe I will understand better.

As for using celebrity references, you can use it to transform the head into your interpretation, but don't copy 1:1

Dont worry,I wouldnt be able to do it even if I wanted.

For your new proportions, I think you should, well, cut almost 1/3 of the hips on x axis. That may sound a bit violent, but right now if you imagine the skeleton of Viper on your sculpt you will understand that's what is needed.

No...sorry,no.I tried it looks horrible.I see pretty girls everyday at work (barmaids,hookers,clubbers)and only 2or 3 of them have that much thin hips...it looks very unhealthy (and they are).

In The 2D drawing I posted in previous post her hips are not that small.This reference was my favorite.

For it to work all the character should be thinner and taller...more like

this one:

post-1195-12817815883557_thumb.jpg

but I didnt go that direction,I went more with the other broader one.

Same goes for the shoulders, since you took the breast up, she regained a strong upper part, but even if it's viper, i think it reads as "man" right now. Viper looks strong and impressive, i would say make her waist still slightly larger than her shoulders, but very slightly. A strong waist in her case with her muscular leg will help sell her "i take care of my business" look making her stand look solid.

That I can try.I will see how it looks.

The "weight" of the vest is very hard to mess with and I though I got it so I didnt want to mess with shoulders again.

But it cost nothing to try,so I will.

If you look at your reference, you will see the underlining structure of the legs, that somethign you probably want to reproduce too, it will make her look more dynamic, and bring a more feminine touch to the model, and she looks like she has some low jeans, you probably want to make her crotch higher too.

That I agree I failed. There is no feeling of real legs under those friggin pants.

I will try again.Making the croth higher is also not so hard so I will try too.

Anyway,Big thanx for taking time to critic my wip. :)