3DCoat Forums

Cartoon head

insignet

• Advanced Member

Hi

Not a WIP as such... a quick sketch, as I'm calling it done, I'm working to reproduce my 2D style in 3DC I'm getting close now ( at least with the heads ) I like this program because it allows me to work at speed and I'm finding increasingly that 'moving' the voxels ( pulling and pushing ) is a better than my initial approach of sculpting with brush ( painting in volumes ) at least when roughing out basic shapes... any feedback welcome.

i

post-2115-12717452887517_thumb.jpg

post-2115-12717452964088_thumb.jpg

post-2115-12717453062891_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Very nice, I also prefer the second one. :good:

Now its time to choose if you go to topo and surface sculpt zbrush like, or increase voxels and do the rest of details there. I'm wondering what's the best for these models.

• Advanced Member

hi thanks for the Feedback...

Yes these are just for fun at the moment but I plan to create some rendered examples and include them in my portfolio. The first cartoon head is very low voxel resolution the idea was really to sculpt with an expression of some kind rather than the normal blank look.

Thanks again... more to come...

• Advanced Member

Great results. Love them :-)

For the eyelids try using the clay brush in stamp mode with a soft brush. It pops shapes forward sweetly and by increments if your subtle.

It takes a wee bit of practice getting your angles correct but once you try it you'll feel your way very quickly to get the results your looking for.

It's also a great way of getting subtle but large deformations if you require it such as cheeks , bulges to the forehead etc etc.

Stamp mode is a great ally in avoiding that over sculpted feel and suites the translation of how an artist actually draws a form.

For caricatures especially I've found that keeping the eyes as separate higher resolution voxels from the main face sculpt are also a nice way to add higher detail sometimes required for the sharpness of the eyelid to give that nice crisp effect against the slower curves of the face.It makes the eyes "pop". Using the draw by spline method is a great way of delineating the eyelids from the eyes and separating them to different layers to get the initial areas of transition - then merging them back together at a rez high enough to keep that sharper edge as the lid curves over the orb.

Crisp edges - high rez, slow curves - low rez. That's the mantra I chant :-) If you wanted to sweeten up the edges of the lids as part of the main sculpt sometimes just upping the resolution when you've finished everything else is another approach - saving versions as you go.

You're definitely going about it the best way with 3DC. You're great results are testament to that. Keeping the main shapes initially to low poly is by far the best way to work with speed and good tool response as well as avoiding over pinching/marking the surfaces - stepping up in resolution only when absolutely required.

I'd also experiment with surface mode over standard voxel mode to see which gives you what your looking for with regard response and finish.

• Advanced Member

Another sketch... increased the res here X2... roughed in some neck volume. Worked on the eye lids and this time got better results using the Curves Tool resizing the control spheres ( :drinks: cheers for that tip ).

i

post-2115-12722931480185_thumb.jpg

post-2115-12722931555976_thumb.jpg

post-2115-12722931646745_thumb.jpg