3DCoat Forums

Pixel painting brush lags

Hey, 1st of all my videocard is an ati radeon 5770, i'm on w7 and my cpu is i7 920 with 6gb ram. I'm trying out 3d coat v3.1

The brush, no matter what size, lags badly. I turned off normal mapping painting. So it's just color.

The viewport runs smoothly, no problem there. But as soon as I click'n'drag my mouse over the lowpoly mesh, the brush holds still for half a second, and then catches up with my mouse movement. It's very slow, and it's so bad i dont even WANT to paint anything that way. Yep, pretty annoying.. :(

Anyone else getting this?

• Applink Developer

can you tell all the settings you used with Pixel Painting window. I can try it if I have the same. So are you saying that

it dosen't lag if you turn off depth painting (only color painting is on)

I have noticed that sometimes 3d-coat starts to lag after "Not responding" mode, which happens when 3d-coat is doing

something for long time. It goes away when I hide/unhide the window.

of course!

by the way I meant to say v3.2 .. the 64bit version

Also, when i first load up a mesh (in this case I used one of 3d coat's example meshes) They come up with these weird squares, all over, and they disappear as I paint over. (that can't be good :o )

weirdhuh.jpg

here are my import settings

settings1.jpg

settings2.jpg

• Applink Developer

That's not good. If you are using latest version of 3d-coat 3.02.11 and latest drivers from ATI then I don't know how

to help. It really seems to be a driver issue. Maybe you can try with older or newer drivers

and hope it fixes it. Hope you can find a solution

I'm getting the same thing. The brush lag makes per pixel painting pretty much useless except for very rough work. I'm using 3.2.11 on a similar system 64 bit windows 7, i7 920, 12 gigs of ram except my graphics card is an Nvidia gtx275 with the latest drivers. Is anybody using per pixel smoothly?

Thanks!

John

www.MeshAndBones.com

Hi Andrew, thanks for your input, but turning off multicore optimisation didn't fix it. I tried 3d coat on my wife's laptop, and it has the same problem. It is running Windows 7 64 bit, with an i7 processor and an nvidia gtx 260m for graphics. Let me know if I can give you more information to track this down.

Thanks!

John

I tried 3.2.11 on my old computer last night, and here'es what I got: 32bit DX version, the per pixel brush lagged and jumped, the same as on the 64bit dx and ogl versions on my other machine. BUT, the 32bit OGL version worked smoothly. So at least I can work that version.

To sum up:

i7 950, geforce gtx275, Win7 64 home premium, 3DCoat 64bit cuda (and non cuda) 3dcoat per pixel painting brush lags in both dx and Gl versions.

i7 laptop, geforce gtx260m, Win7 64 home premium, 3DCoat 64bit cuda (and non cuda) 3dcoat per pixel painting brush lags in both dx and Gl versions.

Athlon Quad core, geforce gtx275, WinXP professional 32bit, 3DCoat 32bit cuda 3dcoat per pixel painting brush lags in dx version, works fine in Gl version.

In all cases where the brush lagged, turning off multicore optimisation had no effect.

Please let me know if I can test or try anything else.

Thanks!

John

I tried 3.2.11 on my old computer last night, and here'es what I got: 32bit DX version, the per pixel brush lagged and jumped, the same as on the 64bit dx and ogl versions on my other machine. BUT, the 32bit OGL version worked smoothly. So at least I can work that version.

To sum up:

I still get the problem on the ogl 32 bit version.

OK, here's what I'm getting with 3.2.12:

i7 950, geforce gtx275, Win7 64 home premium, 3DCoat 3.2.12 64bit cuda, per pixel painting brush lags in both dx and Gl versions. turning off multicore optimisation makes it nice and smooth. :)

Athlon Quad core, geforce gtx275, WinXP professional 32bit, 3DCoat 3.2.12 32bit cuda, per pixel painting brush lags in both dx and Gl versions. turning off multicore optimisation makes it smooth.

Thanks for working on this Andrew. You are definately making progress!

Try that build to fix if problem solved:

And please send me log.txt to analyse.

i7 950 GTX280 Win7 64-bit Ultimate

3DC 3.2.12A CUDA works much better for me.

With "Multicore optimistion" OFF, no stickiness

With "Multicore optimistion" ON, it's not really a stickiness anymore,

but if I brush rapidly the stroke becomes a faceted series of straight lines instead a smooth curve.(Even with soft stroke on.)

A side note, in this version, in the Retopo Room, polygon edges are invisible

unless zoomed fairly far out.

Thanks

Jeff

Log.txt

Please download this build, go to Prefersnces, find line MaxProcessorsToBeUsed and check if it still lags if you will set different values - 2,3,4

With either "Multicore optimistion" ON or OFF I get no

stickiness, lag or faceted lines in v3.2.12B 64bit CUDA

I see no changes in behavior when setting

MaxProcessorsToBeUsed to different values

Though with CUDA turned on voxels are not visible.

Am I correct to assume this is because this build is

also a test for compiling 3DC with CUDA 3.0?

Jeff

Hi Andrew,

I'm getting very slight stickiness with multicore on, no stickiness with it off. changing the number of processors had no effect. This is on the dx 3.2.12B 64 bit cuda, as well as the dx and gl versions of 32 bit cuda on my other machine. I did not test gl on the 64 bit machine because the "serial number is being used by another machine, exit immediately" warning popped up even though I had shut down 3DCoat on the other machine. I thought it was allowed to install on up to three machines, as long as I am only using it on one at a time? If it is allowed, how long must I wait after shutting down on copy, before opening another?

John

With either "Multicore optimistion" ON or OFF I get no

stickiness, lag or faceted lines in v3.2.12B 64bit CUDA

I see no changes in behavior when setting

MaxProcessorsToBeUsed to different values

Though with CUDA turned on voxels are not visible.

Am I correct to assume this is because this build is

also a test for compiling 3DC with CUDA 3.0?

Jeff

ok, good. What about CUDA - try installing latest drivers.

Hi Andrew,

I'm getting very slight stickiness with multicore on, no stickiness with it off. changing the number of processors had no effect. This is on the dx 3.2.12B 64 bit cuda, as well as the dx and gl versions of 32 bit cuda on my other machine. I did not test gl on the 64 bit machine because the "serial number is being used by another machine, exit immediately" warning popped up even though I had shut down 3DCoat on the other machine. I thought it was allowed to install on up to three machines, as long as I am only using it on one at a time? If it is allowed, how long must I wait after shutting down on copy, before opening another?

John

Probably process remained in memory on other PC by some reason. Try to kill process through CTRL ALT DEL.