3DCoat Forums

I haven't seen much posts of 3DC being used in production so here's a little contribution from me.

The project is Sasktel "Once Upon a Dream" done at Red Rover Studios; Agency: MGM Communications.

Sasktel "Once Upon a Dream"

I used Silo to get the base concept for the cloud mass. The second screenshot has a plane to help me visualize how it's gonna look when i do the cuts/booleans in 3DC.

stage1_Silo-Layout.jpg

It was subdivided and imported into 3DC as a Voxel. Smooth was used to get more subtle forms, Carve + E-Panel's DrawContour/PointCurve with DepthLimit to get the cuts.

stage2_3DCoat-Voxels.jpg

The Voxel was then exported back to Silo for reTopo.

stage3_Silo-reTopo.jpg

I've also used 3DC to reTopo the sculpt of the BeanStalk that was done by another artist.

Thanks for the info. An Interesting program. Pretty affordable also.

Interesting news and great job! I do know of 3DC being used in some productions. My friend at Terminal Reality (studio that recently did the Ghostbusters game) told me a while back that he has used it some and that some of the environment guys at the studio were using it a little. Monovich on the NewTek Forum used 3DC on the HALO Legends Trailer while working at Loaded Pictures. I believe I recall someone who works at Rhythm & Hues: The Box saying they used 3DC. I think there are a number of studios using it, they just don't talk on the forum or say so publicly. In fact I know of at least one is is definitely doing that.

Nice work SYN7AX3RR0R, really great quality animation and it sort of looks like a pixar animation. Did you use 3DC for other elements also or just the clouds? they definitely work well in the scene. :D

Interesting news and great job! I do know of 3DC being used in some productions. My friend at Terminal Reality (studio that recently did the Ghostbusters game) told me a while back that he has used it some and that some of the environment guys at the studio were using it a little. Monovich on the NewTek Forum used 3DC on the HALO Legends Trailer while working at Loaded Pictures. I believe I recall someone who works at Rhythm & Hues: The Box saying they used 3DC. I think there are a number of studios using it, they just don't talk on the forum or say so publicly. In fact I know of at least one is is definitely doing that.

Yeah 3DC is a great tool, i would not be surprised if many studios are now using it also. Maybe 3DC needs some sort of main page feature to show what the best artists are using it for or some sort of featured posts/artwork like on the cgsociety forums etc. This would probably get more studios showing work here also as it would promote them and maybe help with sales also so a good thing for everyone.

Maybe 3DC needs some sort of main page feature to show what the best artists are using it for or some sort of featured posts/artwork like on the cgsociety forums etc. This would probably get more studios showing work here also as it would promote them and maybe help with sales also so a good thing for everyone.

Well there is a gallery on the front page, it's full of some amazing works (nothing of mine though :( )

http://www.3d-coat.com/gallery/

Well there is a gallery on the front page, it's full of some amazing works (nothing of mine though :( )

http://www.3d-coat.com/gallery/

Yeah i know, the gallery is good but i was referring more to like a production focus where there is a sort of questions and answers with various studios or artists. So they would say where 3DC was used in a production and explain why they like it for doing certain tasks and maybe show a few methods etc.

Also the forum thing i was talking about in cgsociety forums case would be the image icons you see at the top which are picked by staff/forum mods. Those are good because it means the art that is submitted is trying to raise the bar higher all the time and the best works get featured as a reward so these are good in my opinion. So recently for example this animation, Mafiosi and Master Yoda would all get top picks if i was selecting for example and people could click the thumbnail images at the top to view the threads. The gallery is great and hopefully these will all be there but it's great to have some sort of forum feature also as many of us read the forums each day. :D

Yeah the "top row" thing has been suggested many times, I agree it's a good idea.

so far as 3DC in production goes a couple of my mates in games said it was being tried out in their studios. I personally was using it to paint low and highpoly assets on my last Job at an E-Learning Company. Its a great tool, I worry that its loosing its edge though. The painting was extremely attractive in the beginning, more competition is there now and its looking less and less like the best option.

I haven't seen much posts of 3DC being used in production so here's a little contribution from me.

The project is Sasktel "Once Upon a Dream" done at Red Rover Studios; Agency: MGM Communications.

Sasktel "Once Upon a Dream"

I used Silo to get the base concept for the cloud mass. The second screenshot has a plane to help me visualize how it's gonna look when i do the cuts/booleans in 3DC.

stage1_Silo-Layout.jpg

It was subdivided and imported into 3DC as a Voxel. Smooth was used to get more subtle forms, Carve + E-Panel's DrawContour/PointCurve with DepthLimit to get the cuts.

stage2_3DCoat-Voxels.jpg

The Voxel was then exported back to Silo for reTopo.

stage3_Silo-reTopo.jpg

I've also used 3DC to reTopo the sculpt of the BeanStalk that was done by another artist.

Thank you for the infos. Interesting.

But tell me one thing: Why Did you used silo for retopo??? With 3dc you have one of the best retopo tools in your hands.

Thank you for the infos. Interesting.

But tell me one thing: Why Did you used silo for retopo??? With 3dc you have one of the best retopo tools in your hands.

You should try silo. its very nice for retopo. infact alot of the basic features you see in 3D Coats retopo come from Silo. Where silo excels is its also a full blown modeler.

Why Did you used silo for retopo??? With 3dc you have one of the best retopo tools in your hands.

i agree :)

i could have done the whole thing in 3dc just as well. the blockout in silo is just spheres anyway. and i like 3dc retopo workflow. i did mention at the end of that post that i used 3dc to retopo the beanstalk from the spot. i have used 3dc to retopo a couple of other things since. auto quadrangulate as well.

the reason i used silo with this specific prop is convenience. both the blockout phase and retopo of this specific shape are easier for me to do in silo. as Roger_K said 'Where silo excels is it's also a full blown modeler.' the retopo of the beanstalk on the other hand was easier to do in 3dc.

even though silo is getting heaps of hate for it's pace of development it's still a very efficient tool as is for what it does. basics is where it excells.

I worry that its loosing its edge though. The painting was extremely attractive in the beginning, more competition is there now and its looking less and less like the best option.

I think this would probably be down to the fact that 3DC as far as i know only has 1 developer so other apps may have more and a whole team would be working on it so faster progress when new features are put in. One thing i think Andrew should do is expand on the SDK more or make some sort of simple scripting for 3DC to allow for users that code to add features and tools. I think that this is something zbrush does and this is a good idea that could work for 3DC maybe.

There is the import/export SDK and the recently added app link features which was a great move but there is only so much that can be done with that.

even though silo is getting heaps of hate for it's pace of development it's still a very efficient tool as is for what it does. basics is where it excells.

Yeah i agree, silo was at one point considered the best modeling tool by many but for some reason they decided to not update it as much. They have some new betas right now which is good so i hope that silo starts being developed more again. If someone was thinking of buying it though looking at the forum could put them off because it's users don't even know whats going on with the developments. As said though it is great at what it does and is a great app still in my opinion, i just hope it keeps getting developed.

i agree :)

i could have done the whole thing in 3dc just as well. the blockout in silo is just spheres anyway. and i like 3dc retopo workflow. i did mention at the end of that post that i used 3dc to retopo the beanstalk from the spot. i have used 3dc to retopo a couple of other things since. auto quadrangulate as well.

the reason i used silo with this specific prop is convenience. both the blockout phase and retopo of this specific shape are easier for me to do in silo. as Roger_K said 'Where silo excels is it's also a full blown modeler.' the retopo of the beanstalk on the other hand was easier to do in 3dc.

Actually I own a silo licence too, but i had serious problems with the stability and decided not to use it anymore. Maybe I should take another look on it... but there are so much good tools, but so less time.