3DCoat Forums

Based on a portrait of a roman from the island of Delos. It was an adventure form me, it seems I found a solution to all the problems with visible seams and how I can have quality displacement maps in 3DC to blender workflow. Rendered in blender internal some SSS too. A 3D coat only model (2.5 k + displacement)

• Like 1

Your work is always outstanding...

You went through blood,sweat and tears to figure out the problems you were having but you stayed course,again nice work...

This one is really nice michalis. I like the new shader. The best one, until now.

thanks @digman @taros

But how I solve my problems is a matter of discussion. What is the right topic to post these? A kind of uncertain tutorial. Is not about just bugs, its about complains. Huge. :unsure:

thanks 3dartist, taros.

I really love voxels sculpture. In a matter of fact I prefer to sculpt there, I have some personal reasons to not like zbrush (surface sculpture) approach. I feel free as an artist in voxel room. You may don't have some extreme crispness but this can be arranged somehow.

I also prefer 3DC for texture painting, even for retopo (blender is great too BTW). But all my problems are when trying to bake voxel model to a retopo one. IMO there are some bugs here, some unstable situation.

In my post here, you can see some fine working displacement. This is not a 3DC achievement, I just exported the voxel tri model (~1M)* and used the 'shrinkwrap modifier in blender' to re-project a hi res model to a multi res model (similar to zbrush process). This way I have a multires model in blender (this app rocks), can animate it, can render the hidef projection. Much better than standard displacement. I also used 2048x2048 normal maps (1024x1024 makes seams more visible). Rearrangement of UV islands make things even worst. What's your opinion about all these? Please Andrew fix the baking method, its full of traps and bugs.

*of course export voxel whole scene not just the model, this is a matter of scaling.

hello michalis, really nice work! I'm very interested by your process, can you detail exactly your manipulations in Blender, please, thanks in advance :good:

That's very nice work! I'd love to see more views too.

Thanks @IdotT @Harryman

Here's 3 views of this head. Here's a multires model in blender directly from 3DC. Better than displacement, don't you agree?

• Like 1

I love this sculpt ,both the original but also your own version. The hair are very well defined and seems very detailed .

Keep it up.

ps. eisai para poli kalos ,ftou na mi se matiaso 8)

Thanks haikalle, you already know my small adventure here. I didn't solve my problems as I thought, but thats ok for the moment. I just managed to avoid UVs for displacement.

@micro26: it seems that you know the original sculpt, but I had three references for this one. I'm not sure what original sculpt you have in mind, the bronze head from Delos?

It seems that you're an expert after all micro26, this is one of the references indeed. To tell the truth I'm working on an almost exact photoreal copy of it right now. Eyes etc etc (in zbrush, sorry). Lets say 3DC is the marble room, zb the bronze. :drinks:

But this is an excellent portrait micro26, have you visited the archeological athens museum recently?

Watch out for 'tear gas' these days. Out of topic, sorry guys, I'm working in the middle of this actually. Such a great art brings tears to my eyes. :cray:

Some new SSS blender tests, a low poly version, a 3DC only project.

Nice...do they have a Dirt Shader in Blender, where you could bake that out as a separate map and using blending modes in Photoshop, blend that with your Diffuse/Color. Bet that would look sweet.

Thanks AbnRanger, what's a dirt shader? Something like a zb matcap projected as normals from the top?

Anyway I'm still trying to render a convincing marble texture. Here's another. Testing new GI in blender. Baked AO is not working well with SSS.

• Like 1

Dirt = Ambient Occlusion

Very nice, by the way. :)

I must have a look at blender, as soon as I have more time... maybe in December. :)

Dirt = Ambient Occlusion

thanks Taros.

I see. There's a lot of it (a resized copy of texture here) but its not the best as combined with SSS. I think a heavier model, displacement maps etc is the best way to go.

Simply stunning work comrade, I am always in awe of your most excellent style and skill. Keep it coming! :clapping:

Thanks geothefaust, its just I'm a bit disappointed with this blender internal renderer after all. I have to buy another app for these but costs lot of money...

Thanks geothefaust, its just I'm a bit disappointed with this blender internal renderer after all. I have to buy another app for these but costs lot of money...

What is the problem with the internal renderer?

I heared that vray is available for blender too, but I am not shure.