3DCoat Forums

New version of sculptris released!

I've been playing with it for a little bit and there have been some nice improvements. The painting area could still use a lot of work, for example I can't click any buttons in there with my Wacom pen for some reason, I had to switch to my mouse. I'm also glad the sculpting no longer feels like a water balloon. I'm sticking with 3DC for now, but I'll gladly watch this for the future.

• Advanced Member

Cool!

When Sculptris first came onto the scene I thought it was just going to turn out to be a gimmick and that everybody would eventually forget about it. Similar to the way CB Model Pro looked promising but ended up forgotten because it just couldn't do what it had hoped to achieve. But Sculptris actually seems to be usable and quite pleasant to use too. And the coder has a great eye for aesthetics.

My main concern is that when reducing detail of the model the reduction algorithm doesn't seem to preserve edge flow of any details, instead it just indiscriminately removes polygons in detailed areas. Whereas if you were to decimate a model in 3D Coat or ZBrush then the edge flow of any details would be preserved, resulting in a lower poly model overall.

If I was modeling for fun then Sculptris would be my first choice, but for game engine models I'm still sticking with 3D Coat.

• Contributor

I've been playing with it for a little bit and there have been some nice improvements. The painting area could still use a lot of work, for example I can't click any buttons in there with my Wacom pen for some reason, I had to switch to my mouse. I'm also glad the sculpting no longer feels like a water balloon. I'm sticking with 3DC for now, but I'll gladly watch this for the future.

All the buttons are working with my Wacom Phil. I had to delete my prefs the other day (cause it wasn't working with Toon Boom Studio). Maybe try that? Under the Wacom tablet preference file utility.

• Contributor

got the 1.01 update. The startup problem is fixed but the Grab tool is broken now.

I'm not experiencing any problems with it. On Windows 7 64bit, 8 gig ram, quad core.

• Contributor

Cool!

When Sculptris first came onto the scene I thought it was just going to turn out to be a gimmick and that everybody would eventually forget about it. Similar to the way CB Model Pro looked promising but ended up forgotten because it just couldn't do what it had hoped to achieve. But Sculptris actually seems to be usable and quite pleasant to use too. And the coder has a great eye for aesthetics.

My main concern is that when reducing detail of the model the reduction algorithm doesn't seem to preserve edge flow of any details, instead it just indiscriminately removes polygons in detailed areas. Whereas if you were to decimate a model in 3D Coat or ZBrush then the edge flow of any details would be preserved, resulting in a lower poly model overall.

If I was modeling for fun then Sculptris would be my first choice, but for game engine models I'm still sticking with 3D Coat.

Good thing is that the models seem to come into 3d coat nicely. Easy to retopo there, paint etc. A great combo!

• Contributor

I made a little video showing it. Using the Draw tool first, then Inflate, then Grab. It's like the grab brush is infinitely big.

http://screencast.com/t/ZDhjZTdmM2E

I see what you mean from your video, but I followed your steps and I'm not having that issue. I don't have a CUDA card, so that makes me wonder if it's a video card issue? I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 card.

• Advanced Member

Great for artists! Because it does exactly the stuff thats a little difficult in 3dcoat

like razorsharp creases and lightly -grabbing and throwing around- of Clay it is a good companion for our voxelparadise.

Read the options before start, it's functioning very intelligently.

You can even make several layers . Make holes all through.

Endlessly stretch without stretch artefacts, smooth thin surfaces without erasing it accidently.

How are you making layers or holes? I'm looking all through the program and documentation fie and don't see that anywhere.

Currently impossible, as I know. The tool is in a very early stage.

• Advanced Member

New layer in sculpt module( not paint module ):

-Make new sphere , option menu popup: keep old ones.i.e. New layer (selectable with ctrl )

-Make hole: ctrl draw until you have a hole.

O wait, I cannot reproduce that. Yesterday it happened in a second but don't know how.

A sphere with a perfect hole so it must be possible.

...The painting area could still use a lot of work, for example I can't click any buttons in there with my Wacom pen for some reason, I had to switch to my mouse...

When in PAINT mode; go to OPTIONS > Pressure Sensitivity (max it out!)

this should fix it.

I have to add that this has developed into an amazing tool. It has quickly become my favorite app for quick jams.

Here's a couple of models I did while beta testing it:

caricatureWiP_03r.jpg

HeroRender.jpg

I've captured the second one. Links if anyone is interested:

When in PAINT mode; go to OPTIONS > Pressure Sensitivity (max it out!)

this should fix it.

Hmm, pressure sensitivity for the interface? I'll try it but that sounds odd. I was thinking it was something like trying to click links in TweetDeck with a stylus. You have to hold the pen super steady and just tap quickly. if you tap and drag even the slightest bit it won't register the click.

• Advanced Member

FYI plus & minus on keypad also zooms amongst other features

Keyboard shortcuts for specific buttons are shown when you hover the mouse over them.

Ctrl+Z Undo an operation. There are 12 levels of history.

Shift+left mouse Inverse sculpt, like right mouse button

Mousewheel Zoom in and out

Shift+mousewheel Adjust brush size

Ctrl+mousewheel Adjust brush strength

Plus/minus keys Same as mousewheel, i.e. zoom, size, strength

Alt Popup brush controls (useful for tablets)

Ctrl+Alt Click and drag to zoom in and out

Middle mouse button Rotate the view

Space+left mouse Rotate the view

Space+right mouse Pan the view

Shift+middle mouse Pan the view

Space+shift+left mouse Pan the view

Backspace Clear/fill selection mask (see below)

Tab Toggle detail slider (between zero and previous value)

L Adjust lighting direction in shaderless mode (edit config.txt to disable shaders)

K Enable and reset/update experimental bumpmapping (visual effect while sculpting)

Shift+K Disable said bumpmapping