3DCoat Forums

New version of sculptris released!

• Advanced Member

I did subdivide while also doing things to help increase resolutions.

Then I triangulated. Then export to OBJ and import that OBJ into

Sculptris.

The problem then becomes that Sculptris "retensions" everything

into more regular triangles. Long skiny ones get slammed and

hard edges get lost.

Just and experiment on my part ... but I don't like it for trying to

sculpt on hard-bodie or semi-hard body items imported. Oh well.

• Contributor

Oh man ... I need the secret hand-shake to find options.

All I have are a few buttons. Maybe I better look for a doc.

I didn't have all of my buttons(the one I noticed was the paint button missing, as I had seen it on one of Tarons videos) when I installed it, but I guess it was because I had installed over an older beta version. Anyhow, I uninstalled and re-installed into a new, empty folder and everything was and is fine now. Maybe worth a try.

• Advanced Member

I'm confused, did you do some base shape in Wings 3D and bring it to sculptris or vice-versa?

hy philnolan3d, i have modelled in wings 3d and hexagon and have exported obj model in sculptris, have sculpted in scpulptis and painted

Yep, it's possible to disable all the fancy mesh tessellation in Sculptris and use it just like Mudbox. Quads in, quads out..

Oh really? That is really interesting.

Is it possible to subdivide them too?

• Advanced Member

Oh really? That is really interesting.

Is it possible to subdivide them too?

It is indeed possible. But I did notice that Sculptris' subdivision algorithm seems a little scruffy in that the new vertices look to be a little irregular. So might be best to subdivide externally before taking your model into Sculptris for shaping.

And be warned - high poly sculpting without tessellation isn't where Sculptris' strengths lie. An object above 2 million polys and the brush strokes start to stutter. The whole point of Sculptris' tessellation is so that we never need to go above one million polys (in theory).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

If you set the Detail slider to zero then Sculptris won't tesselate the mesh when applying a brush stroke, instead the brush just acts on what's already present.

Thanks splodge. :)

• Advanced Member
And be warned - high poly sculpting without tessellation isn't where Sculptris' strengths lie. An object above 2 million polys and the brush strokes start to stutter. The whole point of Sculptris' tessellation is so that we never need to go above one million polys (in theory).

What is this? The opposite of 3DCoat? We need more than 5M here to have some decent crispness. These all are triangulated meshes anyway. Not so interesting. Lets wait.

• 1 month later...

What is this? The opposite of 3DCoat? We need more than 5M here to have some decent crispness. These all are triangulated meshes anyway. Not so interesting. Lets wait.

a voxel sculpt is also a triangulated mesh in essence, and thats the strenght of sculptris vs regular subdivisions, you only divide the place where detail is needed, so you can get much lower polygoncount with still nice details

its a bit like a mesh optimizer in reverse:)

• Reputable Contributor

a voxel sculpt is also a triangulated mesh in essence, and thats the strenght of sculptris vs regular subdivisions, you only divide the place where detail is needed, so you can get much lower polygoncount with still nice details

That is a nice feature, but you have a similar workflow capability in Voxels, where you can simply use the "Copy" tool to paint areas where you want to add more resolution...and while you are working on that copied layer, you can go one step further and cache the layers you aren't currently working on. All it amounts to having tools to help manage system resources. Sculptris deals with it one way, and 3DC deals with it in a slightly different way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZJX9Nfy8w

• Advanced Member

Yup :D that's why i love Sculptris! I would love to be able to sculpt asymmetrically(like in Mudbox) in future versions :)

oldmanb.jpg

That is a nice feature, but you have a similar workflow capability in Voxels, where you can simply use the "Copy" tool to paint areas where you want to add more resolution...and while you are working on that copied layer, you can go one step further and cache the layers you aren't currently working on. All it amounts to having tools to help manage system resources. Sculptris deals with it one way, and 3DC deals with it in a slightly different way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZJX9Nfy8w

that is abit of a workflow killer though in Sculptris it is just a slider(simple/fast/elegant) ;)

• Advanced Member

Why don't you just turn off the symmetry?

asymmetrical sculpting ala Mudbox allows you to sculpt on a non-symmetrical model yet still be able to sculpt both side, as long as the topology is the same(think - a posed figured, you can sculpt the left/right hand at the same time). I imagine implementing something like this in Sculptris?

something like this:

hunt.jpg