3DCoat Forums

Normal Map Clipping

• Reputable Contributor

I've tried everything I can think of and have wasted 4 days trying to do what would normally take a few minutes. I've gone through the manual and all the relevant tutorials to see what step I may be missing, but it's almost as if the program is trying to fight me at every turn. I have very limited time to get this done and need to figure out a better way to get decent results. With the body, I had no real issues with baking out a normal map, but this hair has been a nightmare. Here's a video sample...

http://vimeo.com/11943755

• Contributor

I've tried everything I can think of and have wasted 4 days trying to do what would normally take a few minutes. I've gone through the manual and all the relevant tutorials to see what step I may be missing, but it's almost as if the program is trying to fight me at every turn. I have very limited time to get this done and need to figure out a better way to get decent results. With the body, I had no real issues with baking out a normal map, but this hair has been a nightmare. Here's a video sample...

http://vimeo.com/11943755

I know what you need to do in order to get a good normal map....

But you will be so angry you might have a fit. :(

Its not written nowhere...its something I discovered when doing many many baking tests.

You need to click on "Increase Object 2X" 2 times in voxtree rmb menu....

When baking normal maps in 3DCoat objects need to be BIG .... like occupying a big chunk on the default grid.

Otherwize you get result like you got.

It is the only way to get it right.

Even playing with scanning distance in baking tool wont work.

But now the problem is...your retopo work wont fit anymore.This is what will make you angry. :pardon:

If I would have told you that before doing your retopo work it would have been less painful.

• Reputable Contributor

I know what you need to do in order to get a good normal map....

But you will be so angry you might have a fit. :(

Its not written nowhere...its something I discovered when doing many many baking tests.

You need to click on "Increase Object 2X" 2 times in voxtree rmb menu....

When baking normal maps in 3DCoat objects need to be BIG .... like occupying a big chunk on the default grid.

Otherwize you get result like you got.

It is the only way to get it right.

Even playing with scanning distance in baking tool wont work.

But now the problem is...your retopo work wont fit anymore.This is what will make you angry. :pardon:

If I would have told you that before doing your retopo work it would have been less painful.

The manual Retopo part was was the least time consuming...it was the troubleshooting and fighting with all the rat's nesting when subdividing and trying to manually smooth the rough parts. One day I felt mentally exhausted as if I had been in a literal wrestling match...3D Coat Smackdown, it was... :D

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

• Contributor

The manual Retopo part was was the least time consuming...it was the troubleshooting and fighting with all the rat's nesting when subdividing and trying to manually smooth the rough parts. One day I felt mentally exhausted as if I had been in a literal wrestling match...3D Coat Smackdown, it was... :D

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

If you dont mind doing your retopo over then you will be happy...I can almost garantee 100% it will work.

If you want to test it first you can try it with quadrangulation.

• Reputable Contributor

If you dont mind doing your retopo over then you will be happy...I can almost garantee 100% it will work.

If you want to test it first you can try it with quadrangulation.

After some quick tests...that did help. It's something that really needs to be mentioned in the Manual if Andrew can't fix it, so that is not necessary. It also needs to be in the video manual as well...some kind of "Tips and Tricks." Otherwise there will be plenty of others going through the same predicament and wasted time.

EDIT: After talking with Andrew about it, he said it shouldn't behave that way, regardless. I sent him the file, so we'll see how it goes. Just hope nobody else has to go through all of that.