3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

Trying to unwrap a model after assigning uv seams will crash 3D Coat every time on my end (OSX).

Hey Thomas. Please post in the Support area of the forum so the bug can be easily found and fixed.

Edit: Gee Thanks Andrew. :rofl: j/k

after using the new merge tools for a day in producing something, I have to say again this is awesome huge improvement. The speedup on my 8 core workstation isn't 8x, but I estimate about 20x, although it's hard to guess, everything which could take half a minute or more now is instant. Thanks again!

3.3.08 beta uploaded (Win+Mac, Linux - very soon):

- The problem with exporting 4K/8K textures in Ptex mode solved.

- The problem with image picker solved (including incorrect work of Paste button)

- There is new section in preferences to customize how pen looks in usual and CAPS modes - http://bit.ly/9zZzz8

- correct adjacency export of Ptex in flipped mode (for those who knows).

I am working hard over new Quadrangulation, so only minor urgent changes there. Next week (starting tomorrow) I will be in country with very limited connection, I will try to do new Quadrangulation that time.

• Advanced Member

My complains.

Everything crucial for my workflow (3DC to ZB) works extremely fast and fine, thanks Andrew. Except for baking textures in 3DC of course, UVs, painting etc, not a mac friendly app once again. And about all last updates, what is this metal like texture? Why baked textures are overburned? Why this mesh was working in previews versions but not now? I remember a mac version that was OK some months ago but I don't remember what was. Any suggestions?

For those who don't really care about the mac versions I have to remind you that I paid some money for this. =@

For those who are interested to test the mac version I have to remind you to construct the whole thing in the mac version first. Please don't import it from a pc. Please don't check it using the default 3DC meshes. If you do so you'll realize that everything works wrong then. I wont post any 3dc file, just sculpt your own (on a mac)

This is the only right place to post it IMO. Its not a "just bugs" case.

My complains.

Everything crucial for my workflow (3DC to ZB) works extremely fast and fine, thanks Andrew. Except for baking textures in 3DC of course, UVs, painting etc, not a mac friendly app once again. And about all last updates, what is this metal like texture? Why baked textures are overburned? Why this mesh was working in previews versions but not now? I remember a mac version that was OK some months ago but I don't remember what was. Any suggestions?

For those who don't really care about the mac versions I have to remind you that I paid some money for this. =@

For those who are interested to test the mac version I have to remind you to construct the whole thing in the mac version first. Please don't import it from a pc. Please don't check it using the default 3DC meshes. If you do so you'll realize that everything works wrong then. I wont post any 3dc file, just sculpt your own (on a mac)

This is the only right place to post it IMO. Its not a "just bugs" case.

Ok, let us start to solve all step by step. I will PM you.

• Contributor

AndrewShpagin wrote:

I made next big step toward quadranguation. It was maybe the most complex step on my sight - global parametrisation.

It is not all, I still need to solve boundary problem, but I don't think it is too big problem. There is shot - http://bit.ly/dg37E8

about 8 hours ago via TweetDeck.

Best 3d breakthrough since global illumination? :)

Best 3d breakthrough since global illumination? :)

OMG I don't even know what to compare to.. this is even more exciting than the first time I saw voxel sculpting!

I mean, do you guys realize the implications of this? It means going from voxels / high-poly to a low poly high-quality cage in seconds instead of hours/days (depending on model complexity)! Sure, for animation most models might need tweaking of edge loops, especially in terms of density close to the joints, but c'mon, everyone that uses a decent modeler like Modo or Max knows how easy that is. Most important breakthrough IMO is that quadrangulation won't generate "diamond quads", those things are terrible for any kind of sculpting work and bad for even normal mapping, even if your object is stationary and won't get any deformation.

Now look at that screenshot again. That's the future guys!! :drinks:

• Advanced Member

Any timesaving thingy is certainly welcome, and as Maddox says, erasing/adding edgeloops in an already "good" mesh means, well, ultra-faster-and-more-efficient workflow.

As we say here, I'll light a candle, turn saint Anthony statuette on it's head, and do a hat-and-tap dance, for the success of Andrew's latest endeavour! :yahoo:

k.. thanks for the info Phil.. If you want I can just edit my above post adding my system specs and you can move the post over there, so we don't have dual posts, or do you want me to go add it to the correct spot and you can just delete the above post.. sorry about that, I thought errors with betas would go in the beta thread, and the support threads were for the full releases..

Nevermind, I fixed it!.. Thanks 4 the nfo..

3.3.08 beta uploaded (Win+Mac, Linux - very soon):

- The problem with exporting 4K/8K textures in Ptex mode solved.

- The problem with image picker solved (including incorrect work of Paste button)

- There is new section in preferences to customize how pen looks in usual and CAPS modes - http://bit.ly/9zZzz8

- correct adjacency export of Ptex in flipped mode (for those who knows).

I am working hard over new Quadrangulation, so only minor urgent changes there. Next week (starting tomorrow) I will be in country with very limited connection, I will try to do new Quadrangulation that time.

That's great but as i already asked, it would be really great for my workflow to add back the feature so when in CAPS you only see the cursor when changing size and or depth (like it use to be before 3.33 if i remeber correctly). IF not fully invisible, just a small dot would be good enough .

anyway, i want to thank you for this great software, keep the great work you're doing :)

Edit: sorry, i haven't looked enough in preference, i found what i was asking for :).

• Contributor

http://bit.ly/cBZiOY

Для квадрангуляции нужны управляющие элементы?

Боюсь что на сложных моделях подобрать эти сечения будет по времени/эффективности равным созданию полноценной топологии.

Пичаль...

Quadrangulation need controls?

I'm afraid that the complex models to select these sections will be on time / efficiency equal to creating a complete topology.

Grief...

Well I haven't tried it for myself yet, but it would seem to strokes just give you as much or little control as you want over the poly flow, not that it's required. Besides it looks like you need to make maybe 10% of the strokes you would normally make at the most. Just look at that orc. I count maybe 20 strokes, versus hundreds that you would have to make otherwise. Plus they're extremely clean, doing it by hand is not often very clean looking in the end.