3DCoat Forums

nVidia GTX 470 or 480?

• Reputable Contributor

Oh on mine I've tested or replaced just about everything there is except the mobo and CPU. But I don't want to go too far off topic.

That sounds like it's an issue on the software side, then. Did you ever attempt to format your HD and re-install the OS (backing up critical files first, of course)? I've built my own systems for almost 2 decades now and I've had relatively few issues. I've bought 2 store-bought desktops in that time, as well, and one had both the CPU and MB go bad....took almost a month to get the PC back. So, even if you have support and a warranty, it won't help you while it's in the shop.

You normally have 5yr-lifetime warranties on graphic cards and MB's. Can't remember how long the CPU's are, I think they are lifetime (barring signs of misuse) as well.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah re-installed Vista at one point.

Sounds like a good time to take find a trustworthy local shop. That's why I said even if you don't have the time or patience to build a system yourself, you can still take them the components and have them install and OC (if you want that done) it. That way, you'll have some piece of mind that it's professionally done and you have some level of support should something go wrong.

I don't think they would like having someone buy all the parts themselves (instead of buying through them), but I would just tell them that you had planned to put it together yourself, yet have since changed your mind.

I've been building my own boxes for the greater part of 13 years, so I always opt for custom built cases. If a problem hits, I can almost always guess the issue, and usually solve it with in a few hours at most, unless I have some crazy issue (like that annoying Wacom driver issue that happened last year during the released of Win7).

Anyway, as Don said... Always go with a custom box unless you don't know how to maintain it. In which case it's probably better to roll with a pre-built machine. Just my two cents.

Robert, there are a host of reasons why you should almost always go the custom build route. The only reason to buy one of the shelf is if you don't know how to build your own and just don't have the time. Nevertheless, there are a number of companies that have custom builds, with all aftermarket parts. Check Ebay first. There are plenty of brick and mortar stores that happen to have a storefront on EBay. Many of them let you pick everything that goes into it, and none of them are OEM parts.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion AbnRanger.

I considered putting one together myself a few times before, but I always felt that it would be to much of a hassle and maybe not even worthwhile.

But after your advise it took me only a little bit of research to be convinced otherwise.

So yes, Im going to prepare myself now to understand the right steps, Im sure I will manage all right.

Are there any suggestions somewhere on this forum that you can recommend reading about what matters most for 3DCoat to work well on a computer?

Thanks for the links and helping.

Kind regards, Robert

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks a lot for your suggestion AbnRanger.

I considered putting one together myself a few times before, but I always felt that it would be to much of a hassle and maybe not even worthwhile.

But after your advise it took me only a little bit of research to be convinced otherwise.

So yes, Im going to prepare myself now to understand the right steps, Im sure I will manage all right.

Are there any suggestions somewhere on this forum that you can recommend reading about what matters most for 3DCoat to work well on a computer?

Thanks for the links and helping.

Kind regards, Robert

You can find all kinds of helpful tutorials on Youtube and elsewhere (3Dgameman.com is another good site with helpful video reviews and tutorials on installing components), to help you in the process. Once you put one together yourself, you won't want for a store-bought one again.

As for what is best for 3D Coat....RAM, RAM and some more RAM :D . That and as many CPU cores as you can afford. AMD has a six core CPU that beats all the Intel i7's, except the most expensive model (which happens to be a six core itself), and for a sweet price at about $265

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

good motherboard for that CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236R

A 470GTX or better video card (with 448 processor cores, which makes the biggest difference with CUDA performance in 3DC). Personally I would try to go with 12GB's, or more, of the fastest RAM you can afford. DDR3 modules are pretty affordable, so shop around a bit to get a good deal.

• 1 month later...

Hi every one .

I'm new , i use a 3d coat 3.505A trial DX CUDA 64 bit win7 with my card GTX 470

I install latest driver 260.99 and try 263.6 (dev)

In 3dCoat i turn on CUDA but it's slow like without CUDA when i turn off

I use GPU-Z to view gpu load , it ~ 0 % ==> i think cuda not work with me

Anayone can help me,

Thank in advance and sorry for my english