3DCoat Forums

A happy discovery - adjust stylus pressure

Greg

• Contributor

I really need to be sure to read the manual more carefully! I just adjusted my Wacom pen pressure in preferences from default to 1024 and it's like night and day. My Wacom has 2048 levels I think, but that setting seemed too high as I had to press really hard. I'm sure you veterans know about this, but maybe someone else new to the program will find it helpful.

No. 3DC ends (unfortunately) at 1024 levels...

I think Andrew will rewrite the wacom support in the future, he should...

I am using a Intuos 4 here and the possibilities are far away from what could be possible with my tablet. But Andrew don't have a Intuos 4 as I know, so it will need some time to see news here.

Let the value at 1024 levels, it should work well for now.

• 2 months later...

It would be nice to see some basic support for tablets that don't use Wacom drivers to make use of pressure levels.

At the moment, my Wacom works fine, but the Trust Widescreen tablet I also use has no pressure sensitivity at all in 3d Coat.

Note that, this is the only app that pressure levels do not work with this tablet.

• 1 month later...

Maybe something to do with the Waocm drivers.

Is there no one else that is using a non-Wacom tablet? For example, a Trust Design Tablet or Genious Tablet, that don't use Wacom drivers, and can not use the pressure levels at all in 3dc on Windows Vista?

Other 3d apps and Photoshop work fine with these tablets, but not 3dc. If I plug in my Wacom, that works, but not the Trust tablet I use day-to-day.

Here's hoping that one day, it might be fixed.

I haven't but I'd be wary. MonoPrice isn't exactly a brand name. They have great deals on cables, but I don't know if I'd want a tablet with their name on it. They don't offer a very good description of it either, doesn't even say if it's pressure sensitive (unless I missed it).

I may be considered by "some" to be not a pro for using a Trust tablet, but at £80 compared to £400 as a replacement for my worn out Wacom A4 Intuous, it's just fine for now on every app apart from 3dc. I don't want to wear out my Wacom Cintiq by using it as a mouse substitute.

I'd lay money on the fact that a good deal of the user base for 3dc is not in the "Pro" bracket in any case, so I would expect many of them to consider the cost of a Wacom a little high when cheaper alternatives can be had for much less wonga.

PS. Those tablets do have pressure sensitivity listed in the specs. They are probably working in a similar way to the trust/Genious tablets, and at about $40 each, you can afford to take a shot, even if they only last a few months while you save up for that Cintiq.

• Advanced Member

Since a drawing tablet is a very nice tool to have with 3DC, it might be a good idea to have a thread with drawing tablet reviews. 3DC users can share how they work with 3DC and in general. I know if I didn't already have a Wacom tablet, I would also be wary of other brands. This thread could also help Andrew get the "other" tablets working smoothly.

Just an idea.

• Like 2