3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat at SIGGRAPH

Andrew Shpagin

We successfully got American visa so we will be on SIGGRAPH this year. 3 of us will participate there.

We are seeking someone to help us during the exhibition. So if you live in Los-Angeles area and want to help please tell me.

We will provide free participation on SIGGRAPH + some payment per day (don't know how much) even if you will help 1 day of 3.

• Advanced Member

It might be a good idea to take pictures and blog about it for those that cannot make it. And maybe the blog could help 3DC's visibility on the web being attached to SIGGRAPH. Just an idea, I won't be able to make it but I'm interested to see how it goes.

• Contributor

Awesome news! :good::)

....just my humble opinion about marketing ..I think 3DCoat has some pretty powerful features but its

advertised too much as being a zb/mb kindof application.While from my point of view,3DCoat is the ultimate Toolbox for game assets creation.

Studios buy Topogun,Crazybump,Bodypaint(hundreds of $$ in many apps)....

3DCoat can really shine against those apps.

Not against Zb or Mudbox 's raw sculpting power.

Getting expecttions too high will always lead to WHinning...3DCoat is the app where is the most whinning ever.

Showcase ideas:

(small ideas on what should be advertised to empower sales while not creating too much backfiring expectations )

Just for fun. :)

1-Voxel Sketching using Reference image and E-panel Splines while using "move to" feature with shift drag to merge sketched parts.

2-Sculpting on multiple voxel layers that have rotated spaces.(impossible to do in MB and very hard to do in Zb(require many special conditions)

3-live blending of multiple Normal maps on lowpolymodel.

4-Retopo Layers* :brush:

5-Quadrangulation

6-Ptex

• Advanced Member

....just my humble opinion about marketing ..I think 3DCoat has some pretty powerful features but its

advertised too much as being a zb/mb kindof application.While from my point of view,3DCoat is the ultimate Toolbox for game assets creation.

3DCoat can really shine against those apps. Not against Zb or Mudbox 's raw sculpting power.

Good points Artman.

I can't say nothing at all about 3DC-usefullness for the Game Industry but I would

suggest to show the following things to visitors who are more in involved with physical production:

Voxels will be the most interesting Program-Part for this kind of users.

• Reading in of defective Scandata (meshes with holes and overlaps), quick repair and shape-modification
  • Reading in and deformation of a rule-lessly triangulated (Nurbs-Modeler exported)Mesh
  • Raw mesh export from Voxels, Mesh Reduction, show 3D-Printed part from Voxels
  • Reading in of discontinous joined meshes to Voxels (e.g. several intersecting Primitives), merging them to a single piece and smoothing of edges
  • Extract Skin of a complex object, stl-Export
  • Boolean Tools on complex geometry
  • Wrap/Axial Tool

It might be also good to come up with a list of projects that 3DC has been used on. I'm pretty sure my friend used it on a big game coming out soon. Of course someone would probably have to talk to them before advertising that.

3DCoat can really shine against those apps.

Not against Zb or Mudbox 's raw sculpting power.

Getting expecttions too high will always lead to WHinning...3DCoat is the app where is the most whinning ever.

Showcase ideas:

(small ideas on what should be advertised to empower sales while not creating too much backfiring expectations )

Just for fun. :)

1-Voxel Sketching using Reference image and E-panel Splines while using "move to" feature with shift drag to merge sketched parts.

2-Sculpting on multiple voxel layers that have rotated spaces.(impossible to do in MB and very hard to do in Zb(require many special conditions)

3-live blending of multiple Normal maps on lowpolymodel.

4-Retopo Layers* :brush:

5-Quadrangulation

6-Ptex

Totally agree!

:) Congratulation Andrew! That will be another good step, that brings 3DC forward.

• Reputable Contributor

What great news! Enjoy your time at Siggraph and for a fantastic successful time there. :good: Now, I run off to my piggy bank with a hammer to see if I have enough money to come for visit at 3D-Coat's booth... 8)

• Reputable Contributor

I wonder if it would be expensive to have CDs made up with a demo installer and the PDF manual on them. It would probably have to be done in LA though to avoid shipping costs.

Yeah...I wondered if Andrew was intending to sell licenses (physical disks in cases) at the show. I also think it would be great if 3D Connexion, and perhaps Nvidia would work with Andrew to perhaps give a Seat of 3DC w/ a SpacePilot Pro and NVidia card away at the show...for participants during demonstrations (if Andrew has enough room to do so at his booth).

• Reputable Contributor

Javis or Phil....any chance you can get with Andrew and try to contact NVidia and 3DConnexion about being co-sponsors during Andrew's trip. After all...his booth there is PRIME choice advertisement for them, especially with demonstrations using their technology/products. If Andrew can get CUDA involved in the multi-threaded operations, that will be huge...and if there is indeed a demonstrable impact CUDA makes (with the multi-threading work ANdrew is doing), I'm sure NVidia would be very interested.

It only makes sense to ask, right? It should help defray much of the cost for the booth and traveling expenses.

It makes sense to ask, I don't know if Andrew will be doing any demos though I have a feeling the Pilgway booth will be pretty small. Only he and 2 other people are coming and I'm not sure if they are even artists, let along if there will be enough room for a demo. I'm certainly not trying to put down Pilgway, just trying to think realistically.

• Reputable Contributor

It makes sense to ask, I don't know if Andrew will be doing any demos though I have a feeling the Pilgway booth will be pretty small. Only he and 2 other people are coming and I'm not sure if they are even artists, let along if there will be enough room for a demo. I'm certainly not trying to put down Pilgway, just trying to think realistically.

I figured it would be small, but No.1, I wasn't sure if Siggraph allots a space for demonstrations at scheduled times...like Autodesk taking a few hours, and others getting squeezed in at various times. Wasn't sure about that. No.2, is even with a small booth, I figured Andrew would want to demo for visitors as they come by...plus, having NVidia and/or 3DConnexion PoP material visible at his booth should warrant some level of sponsorship from them.

Well I figured there would at least be a TV or monitor showing it in action. I don't know if they have scheduled demos, The times that I've been to Siggraph it just seemed that there were people giving demos throughout the day, not like "Come to our booth at 1pm for our main demonstration!".

• Reputable Contributor

Well I figured there would at least be a TV or monitor showing it in action. I don't know if they have scheduled demos, The times that I've been to Siggraph it just seemed that there were people giving demos throughout the day, not like "Come to our booth at 1pm for our main demonstration!".

Right...understood, but I guess what I'm saying is that Autodesk, for example has their own booth (which is naturally larger), yet has demonstrations held at given times. Where are they giving those demonstrations? They rent out that much space or is there a few locations where vendors can demonstrate their wares to a larger group of visitors (at a set schedule)...in addition to their booth space?

Newtek is a good example as well. When they have William Vaughn demonstrating Lightwave, surely they didn't rent that much space?

I'm not saying...just wondering.

As I recall NewTek's booth had a stage where William, Dick Van Dyke, etc. would show LW. Here's a video:

I was there when this was filmed, won a book on texturing in a drawing.

Edit: lol You can see me in the vid. Right at 5:51 you can just see my head in the lower left corner.

Edit again: hehe Part 2 of that video has them calling my name and me collecting my prize at about 5:05, though I think Dick called me Bill.

• Advanced Member

I'm in Southern California, not sure If I can help him out but I may have someone who can . Here is Andrew coming from?

• Advanced Member

Cool, I worked down in the Crimea for a while, one of our wheeling members is from the same general area. I'll see if Sergey can help him out.

• Reputable Contributor

As I recall NewTek's booth had a stage where William, Dick Van Dyke, etc. would show LW. Here's a video:

I was there when this was filmed, won a book on texturing in a drawing.

Edit: lol You can see me in the vid. Right at 5:51 you can just see my head in the lower left corner.

Edit again: hehe Part 2 of that video has them calling my name and me collecting my prize at about 5:05, though I think Dick called me Bill.

So that was all in the area they had rented out? No other vendors ever used the stage? I just wonder if Siggraph doesn't have a general purpose stage/area(s) for various vendors to showcase/demonstrate to a larger audience during a scheduled timeframe.

The other thing too is that, even with Andrew having a small booth...perhaps he can arrange something ahead of time to demonstrate 3DC using CUDA over at NVidia's booth?

Yeah that was NewTek's booth in the video, behind that wall was a desk with NT employees that would demo LightWave on computers and talk to you about it. I don't think there's a general stage area, I don't remember one anyway.

Edit: Ah Here's the floor plan showing where everything is. You can see Pilgway along the left wall, just to the left of NewTek's booth. Looks to be about 10'x10' in size.

http://old.siggraph.org/s2010/downloads/SIGGRAPH2010Floorplan.pdf