3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat at SIGGRAPH

Andrew Shpagin

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah that was NewTek's booth in the video, behind that wall was a desk with NT employees that would demo LightWave on computers and talk to you about it. I don't think there's a general stage area, I don't remember one anyway.

Edit: Ah Here's the floor plan showing where everything is. You can see Pilgway along the left wall, just to the left of NewTek's booth. Looks to be about 10'x10' in size.

http://old.siggraph.org/s2010/downloads/SIGGRAPH2010Floorplan.pdf

Thanks...wow, look how big Pixologic's (ZBrush) booth is. It's as big as Newtek's, and it is right next to NVidia's. Wouldn't that be great to have an arrangement with NVidia to showcase CUDA using 3DC in a demonstration right next to ZBrush's booth? :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I wonder if Andrew is already in LA, venders are setting up their booths already. (Pilgway will be on the far left of this shot towards the back.)

They are flying in Monday and going straight to the booth from there. I asked Stanislav (Marketing Director) if they could arrange for someone to demo CUDA using 3DC at Nvidia's booth...as it is RIGHT NEXT to Pixologic's :pardon:

Well, I've been there today, and seen the booth on aisle 100. It is very small, but for a small booth, it has class. It's already set up with spaces for 2 large demo monitors and one small table for guests to try things out. I'm hoping we will have another couple of seats for those doing the demos.

I'm sure Andrew's new auto-topo will be a huge "sleeper" for everyone attending. It's gonna rock the house, for sure. I'm glad I get to see the faces of those watching.

Weta has been stealing the show, so far, with talks on how they assembled and automatically animated the characters for Avatar. To be honest, I left feeling a little disappointed because I can see where photo-realistic art is heading, and it's not really somewhere I want to be, as an artist.

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

Well, I've been there today, and seen the booth on aisle 100. It is very small, but for a small booth, it has class. It's already set up with spaces for 2 large demo monitors and one small table for guests to try things out. I'm hoping we will have another couple of seats for those doing the demos.

I'm sure Andrew's new auto-topo will be a huge "sleeper" for everyone attending. It's gonna rock the house, for sure. I'm glad I get to see the faces of those watching.

Weta has been stealing the show, so far, with talks on how they assembled and automatically animated the characters for Avatar. To be honest, I left feeling a little disappointed because I can see where photo-realistic art is heading, and it's not really somewhere I want to be, as an artist.

Greg Smith

How did you get to check it out ahead of the team getting there? Was it free admission today? For what it's worth, here is the poster I cooked up for display within the booth (on a tripod). I hope there is a lot of traffic going through there.

• Advanced Member

Have a great time demo-ing guys - I hope that Siggraph 2010 goes well for 3D Coat - good luck and happy modeling/sculpting,painting,uv-ing and retopo-ing (in no particular order).

How did you get to check it out ahead of the team getting there? Was it free admission today? For what it's worth, here is the poster I cooked up for display within the booth (on a tripod). I hope there is a lot of traffic going through there.

You should show, what you are talking about. Where are the guidelines? ;)

The most people are not reading, they look first, and see "just" a nice char.

• Reputable Contributor

You should show, what you are talking about. Where are the guidelines? ;)

The most people are not reading, they look first, and see "just" a nice char.

I didn't mean that in a suspicious way....just wondering if maybe Andrew had arranged for him to pick up a pass, or was it free Sunday. I was thinking about heading over a little early myself to take a look-see.

• Contributor

Greg Smith

Howdy Greg,

your remark begs the question, "what's the matter with the 'suspension of disbelief'"? As an artist, I seek only to make things 'mind' realistic rather than photo realistic. This means I lack interest in camera lens derived effects. Traditional painting came to regard "Uniform Surface Tension" as an important aesthetic quality. Basically, this refers to techniques where every part of the visual field has the same importance (everywhere you look is 'in focus') and DOF is restricted to diminished contrast without any blur. The mind's perception has greater latitude than that of a camera but still depends on 'realistic' for effectiveness. :unsure:

• Reputable Contributor

That's interesting. I figured they were arriving today so they'd be spending their whole first day setting up. I hope someone will be taking pics there (discretely of course).

They will be setting up all the video equipment and such today. But the booth itself is what he is referring to

BTW, Thanks for the tip, Greg.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, it was a very busy day. Their idea to put a poster up highlighting the new Auto retopo tools was pretty big. I'd say that alone drove about 1/3 to 1/2 of the traffic to the booth. At times there were as many people checking out the poster as there was talking to demonstrators. :D

I think Andrew stumbled upon the Leprechan's pot of gold with that feature.

After seeing the 3d coat booth at siggraph i figured i'd give 3dc another looksy. What they were displaying was pretty nice and it seemed the most packed booth of all the small booths at the convention.

It was cool meeting Greg there and got to talk to Andrew for a minute which was nice. I didn't get any swagg though. I wanted a shirt or something. hehe. j/k

There was an interesting moment when Rob Powers of LW came over and wisked Andrew away to their newtek booth. I quickly followed to see what was up, but i couldn't find them. Anyone have insider info on what that was about? this happened on Tuesday evening before the convention closed for the night.

Anyhoo, the new stuff looks pretty sweet. I was going to buy zbrush 4 with the siggraph discount, but 3d-coat booth made me re think that for the moment. Gonna check out the new version and if i like i'll go ahead and upgrade and hang out here a bit more :)

God Bless,

George

It was pretty crazy, I think we are all happy now that it is over, because we're all uber tired. :p

We got swamped at the booth, and talked to soooo many people, it was actually quite great meeting everyone. Many existing users stopped by, and I want to thank all of you that did!! It was very fun to meet and talk to you guys and gals. :)

As for the "whisking" away part, it's nothing to worry about. Just business. ;)

• Reputable Contributor

I doubt anyone was worried, I think it's fair to assume everyone expected it was business.

Well there is always going to be some concern, anytime a major 3D Application's exec's talk to a smaller vendor...as many times "business" takes on an exclusive nature, if you know what I mean...cough "Autodesk"....cough, cough "Mudbox". Pardon me, need some water. :D

• Reputable Contributor

That's a good point, I also got Vue Infinite and LWCad with my upgrades.

That was one of the things they were doing during the show...talking to different studios, vendors and educational institutions.

I agree, that would be a great promotional combination (LW 10+ 3D Coat), but I personally feel Rob thinks more highly of Andrew's accomplishments than to just seek a cross-promotion deal. That's not any inside info or anything. Just a gut feeling. Kind of like reading the wind before taking a shot.