3DCoat Forums

Spacecraft HAF

JensD

• Advanced Member

Very cool. As I was texturing something similar a while ago it would be nice to know how you did the rivets and the lines where the panels join. Also, how did you go about placing the decals like the wolfs head?

yery nice. more dirt gives more life to it.

Thank you.

Yes, you are right it needs Damage

Very cool. As I was texturing something similar a while ago it would be nice to know how you did the rivets and the lines where the panels join. Also, how did you go about placing the decals like the wolfs head?

Thanks. For the rivets I used pentool in "Draw with lines" mode and used spacing in the

pen otions. The decals were created as a texture in PS and painted on as a Material (create new Material). The panellines are painted with a small, medium soft pen in "Draw with lines" mode. Mostly everything in Orthographic projection.

A pity that "Draw with lines" and spacing combined don't work in symmetry mode.

Greetings

JensD

• Advanced Member

Awesome, I really like it. Have you ever played "Freelancer", it re minds me of some of the craft in that. To be honest it looks better, well that game is a few years old now.

I am working on a ship myself at the moment, for a SoaSE mod, it's not much to look at yet. Will post when I have it done. Still have a lot to learn with texturing though.

Do you intend to put it in a game? I think it would make a good bounty hunter vessel for Star Wars or something.

I kinda Like the brand new look of it, not just to be different, perhaps it could be the property of a very proud owner.

Did you do the vents with the "strips" in 3dcoat and what resolution is the texture? Mine just don't seem as sharp.

All in all I think a very nice job! well-done.

Awesome, I really like it. Have you ever played "Freelancer", it re minds me of some of the craft in that. To be honest it looks better, well that game is a few years old now.

I am working on a ship myself at the moment, for a SoaSE mod, it's not much to look at yet. Will post when I have it done. Still have a lot to learn with texturing though.

Do you intend to put it in a game? I think it would make a good bounty hunter vessel for Star Wars or something.

I kinda Like the brand new look of it, not just to be different, perhaps it could be the property of a very proud owner.

Did you do the vents with the "strips" in 3dcoat and what resolution is the texture? Mine just don't seem as sharp.

All in all I think a very nice job! well-done.

Thank you. I know there is a game called Freelancer but I never played it (I have to look it up

maybe I get some inspiration).

In the end it will be animated and fly against an enemy spacecraft i designed (see picture below).

The small vent at the tail of the fuselag is drawn with the strips tool the other vents are modelled. ..Correction the vents under the wing are done with the "Draw with lines" tool.

I have 3 colormaps with a resolution of 3000 x 3000 each and a small one with 800 x 800 because only when you use big sized maps you can draw fine an accurate detail and move the camera close.

I stay tuned for your spacecraft.

Greetings

JensD

Enemy spacecraft:

Enemy.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

^^ Also some very nice work, I like it a lot.

The small vent at the tail of the fuselag is drawn with the strips tool the other vents are modelled. ..Correction the vents under the wing are done with the "Draw with lines" tool.

Yeah! I use that tool a lot also

I have 3 colormaps with a resolution of 3000 x 3000 each and a small one with 800 x 800 because only when you use big sized maps you can draw fine an accurate detail and move the camera close.

I stay tuned for your spacecraft.

They certainly are beautifully detailed textures you have done. I just use the single 2048 x 2048. Ideally it should be smaller, but it is quite a challenge to get small details in, and I could never really hope to get the level of detail you have achieved.

hmm. this multi quote has me tricked

They certainly are beautifully detailed textures you have done. I just use the single 2048 x 2048. Ideally it should be smaller, but it is quite a challenge to get small details in, and I could never really hope to get the level of detail you have achieved.

hmm. this multi quote has me tricked

I think drawing textures for game models is an art in itself (I never tried), as you have to work with small texture sizes and get or fake the most detail out of them.

Maybe you could make two versions one 4096 or 8192 for details and beauty shots and one downsized to 2048 for in game use.

Greetings

JensD

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work. One of the finest hard-surface models in here. I want to see more

Thank you. Here is a small update with some weathering and damage added (not finished yet).

The occlusion pass is missing.

Cheers

Jens

post-910-12795332236411_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow!

So precise and so tasteful! Design gets 10/10 from me. Makes me want to model hard surface stuff :) Did you do the modeling in lightwave? I am so frustrated if I can't be "100%" precise in hard surface modeling, and I see you are very talented at delivering this kind of high-end precision and good taste.

I'd love to see wireframes if possible, cause I cant imagine how you handled the areas where different shapes merge. It's almost like a CAD design :)

bravo.

Wow!

So precise and so tasteful! Design gets 10/10 from me. Makes me want to model hard surface stuff :) Did you do the modeling in lightwave? I am so frustrated if I can't be "100%" precise in hard surface modeling, and I see you are very talented at delivering this kind of high-end precision and good taste.

I'd love to see wireframes if possible, cause I cant imagine how you handled the areas where different shapes merge. It's almost like a CAD design :)

bravo.

Don't know what to say. Thank you for the enthusiasm. It is posts like this one which keeps you going when you are runnning against walls sometimes. As for the modeling, I can say it can be done in LW too. I own LW and C4D and they are both capable of doing precise modeling.

I will post wireframes tomorrow but some parts of the model already have been frozen for further modeling (maybe I can go some versions back and find the unfrozen parts).

Greetings

Jens

P.S. Fighting with new engines but not really satisfied. :nea:

post-910-12845018826553_thumb.jpg

Hi!

Can I ask you what you're not satified with? :) I'm just curious, because it's hard for me to make these design choices (this could be a little bigger, that needs a bit of tweaking on it's shape, this part is unneccessary, etc... :)

do you sketch? or how do you revisit your work and be critical of it? it's an important question for me :)

Keep it up!

cheers,

Adam

Hi!

Can I ask you what you're not satified with? :) I'm just curious, because it's hard for me to make these design choices (this could be a little bigger, that needs a bit of tweaking on it's shape, this part is unneccessary, etc... :)

do you sketch? or how do you revisit your work and be critical of it? it's an important question for me :)

Keep it up!

cheers,

Adam

Hello!

Yes, I sketch a little in the beginning but mostly basic shapes as my drawing skills are a little undeveloped.

I think at a certain point it is always hard to make design choices because you made the basic design and fell in love with it. You focus.

On the one side this is a good thing because it keeps you going on, on the other side you loose your objectiveness, the big picture, completly. :)

So somtimes when I work on a design late until midnight and get up the other day and have a second look I think: "man, what the h.ll did you do there last night, this looks like crap".

So for me it workes best, in most cases, to have a time delay before further working on a design, to see parts which don't fit or can be bettered.

I ask myself often questions like "does this part or shape harmonize with the rest of the design, does it make sense"?

It is a rather complex process, I think, and sometimes it is a pain. :D

After all I think you should never stop too soon. You have a nice design you like and think it is finished? Nooo, keep going!

(Well up to a certain point or it will drive you crazy :D ).

The pic. illustrates some of the last thoughts I have and will solve before I paint this thing.

Cheers

Jens

post-910-12846664930804_thumb.jpg

Hello!

Yes, I sketch a little in the beginning but mostly basic shapes as my drawing skills are a little undeveloped.

I think at a certain point it is always hard to make design choices because you made the basic design and fell in love with it. You focus.

On the one side this is a good thing because it keeps you going on, on the other side you loose your objectiveness, the big picture, completly. :)

So somtimes when I work on a design late until midnight and get up the other day and have a second look I think: "man, what the h.ll did you do there last night, this looks like crap".

So for me it workes best, in most cases, to have a time delay before further working on a design, to see parts which don't fit or can be bettered.

I ask myself often questions like "does this part or shape harmonize with the rest of the design, does it make sense"?

It is a rather complex process, I think, and sometimes it is a pain. :D

After all I think you should never stop too soon. You have a nice design you like and think it is finished? Nooo, keep going!

(Well up to a certain point or it will drive you crazy :D ).

The pic. illustrates some of the last thoughts I have and will solve before I paint this thing.

Cheers

Jens

post-910-12846664930804_thumb.jpg

Jens my FRIEND!

We are Brothers! Like for real! :D I believe in the exact same principles that you just wrote down. when I read what you wrote, I said WOW! Here is a picture of an exact same page like yours(a render with questions scribbled all over it). Now I will be watching your work even more closely, and yes waking up in the morning is the same for me. The only thing that's maybe different is, that I let my old charcter designs rot on my hard drive for about two years!!, and now I'm revisting them to do them justice!

Back to your work! I really like the disciplend wire frame. Keep your motivation up! And your good sense of selfcriticism. I know what it's like to get lost in the jungle of design decisions. So right now I also like the latest engine better than the previous one, the rest I can't crit, cause it works for me...but does it work for you too? :)

will be watching!

cheers, and thanks, for inspiring!