3DCoat Forums

Quadrangulate and merge for Ptex = Bad results

Hello Andrew,

I been trying to use Ptex but at least for me it seems very buggy

After I use Quadrangulate and merge for Ptex I keep getting some strange mesh inner penetration making Ptex unusable !

All I did was to use the sphere tool and created some simple shape to test Ptex out, unfortunately I have yet

to see how good Ptex is due to either my computer freezing up or this artifacts :(

PS: Subdivision progress takes way too long btw ....

well I hope you can make using Ptex a smooth operation soon :D

Thank you for you attention once again

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3175

running latest build of Snow Leopard

3DC 3.3.07

81644388.png

16234201.png

35023899.png

23171715.png

48456691.png

ex3n.png

ex2o.png

ex2a.png

• Advanced Member

I already posted the same problem using PPP.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6024

Please Andrew, you have to share your samples here so to test them in our machines and builds.

This never worked for me and I don't intend to post all my models here. Everything I modeled has the same problem and I don't expect you or anybody else to tell me that I'm sculpting the wrong way!!!

The wrong answer is to always put the blame on us. Its Apples favorite style actually.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6024

Please Andrew, you have to share your samples here so to test them in our machines and builds.

This never worked for me and I don't intend to post all my models here. Everything I modeled has the same problem and I don't expect you or anybody else to tell me that I'm sculpting the wrong way!!!

The wrong answer is to always put the blame on us. Its Apples favorite style actually.

I need samples not to prove that you are making something wrong. You know that after sending me sample I solved problem really quickly.

I need sample to reproduce exactly same problem and fix it without too much experiments.

• Advanced Member

http://www.3d-coat.c...?showtopic=6024

As Andrew said they are requested to identify the issue and allow a fix. I've not once seen them requested in a manner that suggests "Prove it"

There is no blame. Blame is not welcome.:blink:

• Advanced Member

I'll put this way. Please post a project, a voxel that can be Auto retopo + UVs + normals for PPP. With some holes if you know what I mean (like a mouth). Let me push the buttons. Let me see if retopo is ok, snapping is ok, seams are not visible. Normals are not reversed in some islands. Let me ask you then how to fix some stretching on UVs etc. I still use this app for voxels and manually retopo and export for zbrush. I just posted a fast rocks modeling in wip topic. Used 3DC only for this but normals were once more useless.

You know that after sending me sample I solved problem really quickly

And thank you for this Andrew, I had several problems there, you fixed only one of them.

I'll see what I can do to help.

Please provide 3B file because on my samples it works relatively well.

Hi Andrew

I just attached 1 zip about 256mb file containing 2 different models

it seems that the problem gets worst when the model is small in size less then 4 grids in with and hight

Thank you and keep up the great work 3dc is amazing...can't wait for what you have in store for us bravo :clapping:

topzd.png

PS: pls. let me know if you have any trouble opening the files

My result of Ptex baking was absolutely perfect:

127892044702.jpg

I think the reason of problem is that there remainded some objects in paint room before baking.

So I recommend go to paint room, open Materials (surfaces) window and delete everything. Then go to retopo and merge for ptex.

Please let me know if it helped. Also you should know that while baking object snaps to all visible objects in scene so if you have quadrangulated one volume but have several objects and want to merge it in paint room using only first object you should hide the rest.

Other simplified workflow is to use "Quadrangulate and merge for Ptex/or other". In this case objects will be hidden/shown automatically.

My result of Ptex baking was absolutely perfect:

127892044702.jpg

I think the reason of problem is that there remainded some objects in paint room before baking.

So I recommend go to paint room, open Materials (surfaces) window and delete everything. Then go to retopo and merge for ptex.

Please let me know if it helped. Also you should know that while baking object snaps to all visible objects in scene so if you have quadrangulated one volume but have several objects and want to merge it in paint room using only first object you should hide the rest.

Other simplified workflow is to use "Quadrangulate and merge for Ptex/or other". In this case objects will be hidden/shown automatically.

Hi Andrew

As I show on the images on this post I only use "Quadrangulate and merge for Ptex"

and there is no other models or materials or layers in the Paint or Retopo Areas to cause problems as you have suggested

I did another test with a model and I made sure there was no left over layers and materials in paint room and I still get the artifacts, please take a look

thanks again

ps: I emailed you my model so you can try for your self

Yes, I got and discovered.

I see that Quadrangulation for Mac and Windows produces different result. If I take quadrangulated mesh form Win and bring to Mac I will get good result.

And vice-versa - Mac-generated quads produce poor baking on Windows.

It can take several days to understand why result is slightly different. Anyway I am rewriting quadrangulation from scratch so I hope it will get solution with new quadrangulation.

So here is no big reason to fix old quadrangulation before introducing new one.

Anyway, I can't understand how this can happen:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/299/ex2o.png

because all artefacts was appearing on tight places on angles between surfaces...

Yes, I got and discovered.

I see that Quadrangulation for Mac and Windows produces different result. If I take quadrangulated mesh form Win and bring to Mac I will get good result.

And vice-versa - Mac-generated quads produce poor baking on Windows.

It can take several days to understand why result is slightly different. Anyway I am rewriting quadrangulation from scratch so I hope it will get solution with new quadrangulation.

So here is no big reason to fix old quadrangulation before introducing new one.

Anyway, I can't understand how this can happen:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/299/ex2o.png

because all artefacts was appearing on tight places on angles between surfaces...

Thank you Andrew, you are amazing !

:clapping: