3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Hi! New guy here. I've been using 3DC for its awesome UV mapping and retopology procedures. I could use some help! I can bring any retopo mesh into Unity and it looks great, but when I bring it in to UDK, there appears to be something very wrong with the mesh. Possibly the normals. Everything looks just fine in Maya, so I'm a little confused. Again, great in Unity, destroyed in UDK. If this is a known issue, I would love a work around or to know why it's happening. Is there an export setting I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

-Cory

• Advanced Member

Welcome aboard Cory. I was about to say 'You're probably best off starting a thread about that in the support forum'... but you already have. I'm sure one of our UDK users will be able to help.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I am only here because I came across one of Jarvis's tutorials.

I started learning topogun and thought it was brillient until I decided to load in a hires model, and it wouldn't have it.

So now I have tried 3D coat, and it loads in my model fine and I am able to rotate it.

There is a small problem, but I will make another thread for that.

BTW thanks Jarvis. Your tutorials have helped a lot.

regards

Asimov

• Advanced Member

Hi everyone. I'm from Detroit Mich in the suburbs areas. I have been using 3d coat since version 3.7 and now with version 4. I wasn't getting the hang of it and so I went and tried the Z but came back to 3d coat. I haven't been on the forums recently because I have been studiously trying to do a complete sculpt and I think I finally have something I think is an improvement to past attempts. I have seen a couple videoes recently in which a brush called the "sharp?" was being used. I don't see that in version 4. Or the bulge tool for that matter. Can anybody clarify this for me. I imagine those have been replaced but with what I don't know. Maybe something like the inflate or build up? Anyway here is a sculpt I did. It is based off of a painting by Boris Vallago. It was a book cover for Philip Jose Farmer's Tier world series. I learned so much with this sculpt.

post-8770-0-04755700-1381733461_thumb.pn

post-8770-0-07181300-1381733473_thumb.pn

post-8770-0-22154200-1381733486_thumb.pn

Hello everybody.

My name is Diogo, I'm from Brazil

I just acquire the 3D coat, so i'm a newb right now. I used the trial version and decide to buy it because i LOVED the painting, topology and uv tools (rooms) <3

I use zbrush, 3ds max and photoshop and now 3d coat.  

I think 3D Coat can be a very useful tool. Now i just need to get used to the interface....,  already started customizing things there for my taste. 

Hello everybody!

I am Ana and I am new with 3D Coat - Actually, I just received the program from my husband as an anniversary gift :)

I have started with the tutorials "Rat from Scratch" and I am doing pretty well. However, I have a few questions and I hope that the 3D community will help me out....

• Advanced Member

Hello, from Canada. I consider myself a junor 3D Environment Artist. I started using a computer about 3 years ago during college and have been a gamer all my life. Started just over 2 years ago learning at home in my spare time with UDK. Then started using numerous related software, such as Blender 3D, Gimp, Sculptris, almost all heightmap editors. Emerging from Sculptris and out of the "Open software" the 3D Coat trial software so far appears to fit with finer details and the need for high-low poly assets for models. I'm looking to use it for the creation of environment props and environment creatures. Hope to purchase over the holidays. Not sure if I would use Sculptris again. If life permits maybe I will be Intermediate soon! :) 

• Advanced Member

Hi FreezeFrame. Coming from sculptris you should be up and running with 3DC in no time. Check out the youtube channel and the workflow videos to get you up to speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0j3eOUZqug

and then check out the tutorials section: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showforum=15

Good morning from the Mountain Time Zone!  My name is A. Lynn, and I'm a soon-to-graduate student at NMSU.  While studying Animation/Visual FX at NMSU, I became very dissatisfied with the sculpting software that the school was teaching and went on the hunt for a more robust program.  That's when I found 3D Coat, and I fell in love with it almost instantly!  I've been using the Educational version for my Senior Project, and the program is starting to catch the eye of the other students in my class, so it's probably only a matter of time before 3D Coat invades the Creative Media Institute at NMSU (here's hoping!).

I am looking forward to spending time here.

• Reputable Contributor

Good morning from the Mountain Time Zone!  My name is A. Lynn, and I'm a soon-to-graduate student at NMSU.  While studying Animation/Visual FX at NMSU, I became very dissatisfied with the sculpting software that the school was teaching and went on the hunt for a more robust program.  That's when I found 3D Coat, and I fell in love with it almost instantly!  I've been using the Educational version for my Senior Project, and the program is starting to catch the eye of the other students in my class, so it's probably only a matter of time before 3D Coat invades the Creative Media Institute at NMSU (here's hoping!).

I am looking forward to spending time here.

Is that the Mountain Dew time zone, you say? :D Cool stuff. You can ask your professor to simply e-mail the staff at Pilgway about getting free licenses for the classroom/lab. All they have to do is ask (I think it needs to be on an official letterhead, to authenticate it is indeed from an educational institution).

http://3d-coat.com/community/academic-program/

Edited by AbnRanger
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A Big Welcome!  

Lots going on here, Beatkitano does live sculpting at times, Carlosan answers questions and others as well. AbnRanger makes great videos for new users posted at the official 3DC YouTube channel.

Me, oh I'm the resident digital doodler... :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pilgway3dcoat

Edited by digman

Is that the Mountain Dew time zone, you say? :D Cool stuff. You can ask your professor to simply e-mail the staff at Pilgway about getting free licenses for the classroom/lab. All they have to do is ask (I think it needs to be on an official letterhead, to authenticate it is indeed from an educational institution).

http://3d-coat.com/community/academic-program/

Free you say? Well; Professor Fisher is always looking for the latest+greatest, and the price tag is certainly right.  Which address in particular should he e-mail? It will probably come from his @edu domain.  Does this count as a "letterhead" from NMSU?

• Reputable Contributor

Free you say? Well; Professor Fisher is always looking for the latest+greatest, and the price tag is certainly right.  Which address in particular should he e-mail? It will probably come from his @edu domain.  Does this count as a "letterhead" from NMSU?

The e-mail address is sales@3d-coat.com (could address it to Stanislav Chernyshuk or just "sales manager"). The key part is this quote:

In order to apply for the Academic license we require an official request made on your establishment's letterhead, duly signed and stamped. Please, be sure to mention the number of simultaneous  work places you require for your class.

• Reputable Contributor

Alrighty, I let him know today, so we'll see if it piques his attention.  I think the more he sees me use it, the more curious he gets about it ;)

It would be cool if he'd at least take the time to do so...that way, the students in the class have a full-fledged app to use in the classroom/lab, if they want to at least use it for UV editing and texture painting. It's so much like Photoshop (in the Paint Workspace), that there is practically no learning curve. But some instructors just couldn't be bothered with it, no matter how much it might help the students.

They might say "well, it's not industry standard software"...well, 3D Coat has pretty much overtaken Mudbox as ZBrush's chief competitor, and I'm sure they'd consider Mudbox an industry standard. This is largely because Autodesk has stagnated MB's development in the past 4yrs or so. I was talking with Stas (sales manager) at one point, and he said they have multiple seats of 3D Coat in some of the biggest studios...including Disney of all places. Lots of seats at Blizzard, Activision, some at Blur, Mattel, etc.

• Contributor

Hi A. Lynn! I am a freelance 2D and 3D artist just North of you in Albuquerque. I studied animation at SUVA (Southwest University of Visual Arts) and graduated last year. I am in the local SIGGRAPH chapter here, and there is a guy who used to be in it named Thomas DesJardins who graduated fairly recently from NMSU. He is a lighting/rendering guy, who ended up working at Disney for a while. I think he is now freelance somewhere in California. Maybe you know of him?

I have been doing different kinds of projects (2D animations for iPad apps, motion graphics, etc.) but sometimes I also need to use 3D apps to speed up my work. My favorite is 3D-Coat (for modeling/texturing), but I also use Zbrush, Maya, and recently started exploring Blender.

As you probably know, a bunch of big budget films and TV shows (like Breaking Bad for example) have been/are made here in Albuquerque, and there are several local VFX studios here who help to work on those films. Pivot VFX and Cosmic Forces are two that I know of. I have a friend who worked at Pivot VFX, and said he used 3D-Coat to do UVs. Pivot VFX worked on Iron Man 3.

There is also a high school here in Albuquerque that specializes in art called The Media Arts Collaborative Charter School (MACC) and several of my friends have taught animation and modeling there. They have something like 20 licenses of 3D-Coat there.

Personally I think 3D-Coat has quickly become a very powerful and useful app in a short amount of time. It isn't industry standard yet, but it is out there being used, and it is gaining momentum. If you want to work at a medium to large studio, you still should learn the industry standard apps though, but by all means, 3D-Coat is a nice addition to your toolbelt!

• Like 1