3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

• Advanced Member

Hi guys.

I am new around here and I am also a new user/owner of 3D Coat. I literally have no knowledge in 3D modelling but it is something I am very keen and commited to learn and have been doing so for the last 2 months. I have watched numerous videos and I am also a subscriber of the Digital Tutors website, which has really boosted my knowledge and taught me a lot about game development. I am finding a lack of information on 3D modelling and there are a few things I would really like to know in order to progress and better my skills.

I don't want to sound stupid in anyway but I am an absolute beginner and would like to know the workflow or process of creating a 3D model in 3D Coat and preparing it for use in a game engine (for the record I am currently using Unity 4).

Sculpting isn't an issue as I find this very practical and creative and I have no problems making models, it's the next stages that I don't quite understand. After creating your model what would be the next step in preparing it for use in a game engine? Would you have to retopologize the model and then UV map and export as OBJ file? This may be a stupid question but I am trying to model simple prefabs for a game, things such as, walls, floors, pillars etc, for a level I am going to design in the Unity game engine. The problem is I don't know what I need to read up on to learn as the steps once completing your model aren't very clear. My question may not make sense as for all I know there may not be a set process of how this all works but, if someone could point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it as I am reading and learning things that I am very unsure of.

Cheers,

Dave. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My name is Marc Saunier and I live in Provence, south of France. 
My road to 3Dcoat started when I wanted to put some image of my music. 2D and then 3D, mainly with Vue/poser/Daz to slowly come to the idea of creating my own models.
I am 52, have two daughters, a former wife since 14 years. I'm a newbie at sculpting. Tried sculptris and just discovered that I loved to "sculpt", had a look a Zbrush which looks great indeed and fortunately talked to a 3Dcoat/Vue user friend of mine. That's how I heard about it. Installed the trial version, tried and here i am.

• Advanced Member

Well my 1 month trial period for 3D Coat has ended and the vedict is.....

ONE... OF... US...

ONE... OF... US...

I'm impressed with the software, like the direction it's heading, and the forums are friendly and helpful so I am now an official 3D Coat user and look forward to creating many, many things with the software.

I'm a 3D hobbyist and DAZ Studio user who has only been enjoying 3D for a little over a year. This is my Share CG account where I like to freely share what I create. http://www.sharecg.com/Ghastly

I am a musician, actor and 2D illustrator by trade pretty much in that order.

• Advanced Member

Most of the outfits in it were made with the beta version of Marvelous Designer 3. When they were offering the beta for free I was in a situation where I was basically sitting at a desk for 16 hours a day for that entire month and when an alarm would go off I'd click a mouse button. So I basically filled that time using MD3 which made the time fly. I literally made hundreds of outfits (not all of them winners of course). I had decided this year was going to be the year I upgraded my modelling tools from the Hexagon/Sculptris combo I was using. I had hoped to buy MD3 but they don't have a license for hobbyists and the price is just too steep for a program that still requires a lot of work post-export in Hexagon before I have a finished product (which is why only a few of my MD3 outfits have been released). But it turns out MD3's loss was 3D Coat's gain and it's now my new modelling tool. The nice part is while MD3 is only useful for clothing with 3D coat I can model anything so it all worked out for the best. In fact I'm hoping I'll be able to use 3D coat to finish up the huge backlogue of MD3 outfits I made.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Sam and I currently live in Outokumpu, Finland.

Computers, programming and computer-graphics have been my hobby ever since I discovered Commodore 64 in 1982. My knowledge in programming became a profession, which eventually led to the founding of my own company.

I have been a programmer for the last 30 years. I worked at Megavest creating device drivers for point-of-sale devices. Ultimately I found it too restrictive for my creative mind. So, I quit and took up art studies.

I graduated from the South-West Finlands Institute for Arts, Crafts and Design in the summer of 2009.

I founded AIVOMEDIA, a small game development startup company in Finland, in December 2013. (We're all working hard behind the scenes and keeping a low-profile for now, there is a million things waiting to get done and days go by so fast.)

I also have a wonderful woman. She's a teacher at a nearby high-school / college. We have four kids, two boys and two girls. They're all teens, but relatively easy to manage.. most of the time.

I'm using 3D-Coat, Blender, Rhino 3D, Photoshop and Unity 3D game engine, among other things.

I've read most of the character profiles on this forum, and I'm happy to be a part of such a talented and diverse group of people.

Live long and prosper!

Hiya, my name is Tito and I'm new here but not new to 3DCoat's brillance! I'm a professional Character Artist @ Ubisoft and a very heavy Zbrush user, but I think 3DCoat 4.1 finally won me over with the interface/tools and the allowance it gives to artists for unbridled creativity! Thank you! Looking forward to sharing my creations with you lot :)

It's been some years since I've muddled around in 3DCoat and today I'm happy I've made my way back. After growing frustrated with other applications 3D painting tools I found my way back here today as I remembered how well 3DCoat's texturing tools were. And after spending some hours getting acquainted with the new interface (Which I love btw! Didn't like the Lightwave inspired one from before)  I'm definitely purchasing after my experimentations today.

• Reputable Contributor

Hiya, my name is Tito and I'm new here but not new to 3DCoat's brillance! I'm a professional Character Artist @ Ubisoft and a very heavy Zbrush user, but I think 3DCoat 4.1 finally won me over with the interface/tools and the allowance it gives to artists for unbridled creativity! Thank you! Looking forward to sharing my creations with you lot :)

It's been some years since I've muddled around in 3DCoat and today I'm happy I've made my way back. After growing frustrated with other applications 3D painting tools I found my way back here today as I remembered how well 3DCoat's texturing tools were. And after spending some hours getting acquainted with the new interface (Which I love btw! Didn't like the Lightwave inspired one from before)  I'm definitely purchasing after my experimentations today.

That's really cool to hear, Tito. I do think just a few builds after 3D Coat v4 was released, last summer, it crossed a threshold of legitimacy (where it is in the same discussion as ZB and MB), in terms of high-end sculpting. One of our forum regulars (more than one, actually...but Artman in particular took the lead) worked closely with Andrew to mimic the brush feel and behavior of ZBrush as closely as possible...along with more options per (Surface Mode) brush. Surface mode is where the focus has been, for a while now, when you want to just sculpt. Voxel mode is really sweet for boolean and construction type operations, but Andrew has pretty much left the Voxel Brushes largely untouched for the past few years. He obviously intends for the user to make use of each mode's strengths.

If you want to mask like you do in ZB, switch to Surface mode and use the Freeze brush. You can assign the same hotkey to it that you have in ZB, and even use that hotkey as a sticky key, while using something else. I think one of Artman's presets is the Freeze tool. So, if you are voxel mode, just click the preset and it will both switch you to Surface mode and into the Freeze brush. CTRL + D deselects (like Photoshop). CTRL + SHIFT + I inverts the selection (like PS). Just some notes on how to jump right in.

Andrew is currently working on things like Paint Layer groups, and some AO/SSS and other shaders. Although you do have sculpt layer capability in the Paint Room (via image-based sculpting), it's not yet available in the Voxel Room. Andrew just said that is a high priority, and should be in the works, soon. So, yeah....welcome aboard and we hope to see some material from you, soon (where 3D Coat was used heavily). :)

Welcome Tito! Glad to have you aboard. Personally I liked the LightWave style but it's nice having the icons as a back up. That's one great things about 3DC is the ability to change stuff around so much, even though the defaults are really nice as they are.

Appreciate the welcome gents! Looking forward to getting myself acquainted with all the features... I actually have my first project in mind to get my hands on the hard surface tools. Can't wait to see how it all differs from Zbrush.

Hi there,

My name is Bruno Accioly, I'm from Brazil and 43 years old. I have a small digital marketing company that deals mainly with web development, graphic design and cg animation (mostly for book trailers).

I used to model in 3D Studio 3.0/4.0 back in the day and about 25 years ago I used it to model ships for a play-by-mail (remember those?) I ran in College for about 30 people - 

(not very impressive I guess, but I had to render those and send people cut scenes every two weeks, along with a lot of other stuff concerning the game). Yeah... not very sustainable...  :huh:

I plan to come back to modeling/sculpting/texturing so I can design my own stuff for animation, comic books, digital art, for personal projects and maybe even to put the resulting models for sale.

We use Daz Studio a lot here to produce our animations and it would be nice to find someone that had the experience already.

If there is any tutorial on morphing, exporting and packaging workflow Genesis Characters or Genesis Cloths from 3D-Coat it would come in handy.  :)

Just acquired 3D-Coat and it was love at first launch!

Anyone here uses 3D-Coat along with Daz Studio?

[below I attached a promo image for a free web comic that will be released next June (in portuguese and english) - there are some easter eggs on the image (on purpose) like the Carnifex and the AK 47 - conceived, written, posed, illuminated (and maybe in the future, sculpted) by me.]

Bruno Accioly
www.dotweb.com.br

post-38394-0-89632000-1397029852_thumb.j

Hi Everyone. My name is Mitch I am a Creative Director for a live event production company. 3D Projection Mapping is a big thing for us. 

I discovered 3D Coat out of a need for retopologizing over those nasty meshes that come with 3D scans and a need for better UV template creation.

We use a pretty killer 3d media server called d3.   http://www.d3technologies.com/projects_categories/9

I look forward to learning and sharing here.

Also this looks like a good place to look for content creators to hire out for projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello there,

My name is Sándor Veres (Alex) and i live in Hungary, Budapest (not Bucharest :) )
I'm 32 yrs old, and i'm married and have 1 beautiful children. (1.5yrs and boy)
I work as graphics designer (BTL etc.)

In my free time i'm working on a short sci-fi film with my friends. The project working title: NX-27
https://www.facebook.com/nx27shortfilm
We use programs: Blender, 3D-Coat, Octane Render, V-ray.

Blender+3D-Coat+Ocrane Render is perfect combination, very quick and easy workflow. I LIKE THAT  :clapping:

We operate with two friends - Róbert Ferenczi (jay27), Lázsló Sáfár (kurzor) - in a speedsculpting youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3PHtDtdiV6-FlLmqu8OUCA

Nice to meet you all. 

Best,

Alex

Hi all! Nice to meet everyone. 

I'm a 26 year old 3D artist working in the Midwest. 

I've had 3D Coat for a while but haven't used it for much more than its UV and retopo tools. Thought I'd jump in a see what the forum community is like :)

Lately I've been using voxel room and working on my hardsurface modeling skills. Its really great!