3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Hello. Nice to meet you.

I'm Jene.  from Japan.

during 2 years,  I had been enjoying 3D-coat, but I don't write this forum because I could'nt write English language Until today.

I think that 3D-coat is greatest software in my life experience.  All of developers and all concerned , thank you!

I am making pokemon fan art, dinosaur, life form, and etc by 3D-coat. thankyou.

Welcome Jene. I'm learning some Japanese too but it's not as good as your English is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I`m very happy to join this friendly forum. I`m doing CG as a hobby and my primary application is Cinema 4D (for animation and rendering).

The development speed of 3D-Coat is astounding and I have to learn the usage of 3D-Coat from the beginning.

My first goal is to use the impressive functions of the great smart material system to get as much paint information from 3D-Coat to C4D as possible.

May I ask my first question?

If I`m loading filse from C4D to 3D-Coat for painting unfortunately 3D-Coat interprets every flat face as concave. Everything looks like bubbles.

Is there any idea to avoid this?

I have to append that from a 3D-Coat point of view any C4D scene is like low poly.

https://sso.kabelmail.de/portal/public/cloud/share.aspx?sid=eb25c030-6fde-4b40-9595-482918d4cbab-7F7B9F-08

Hi everyone

i just bought the 3dcoat edu edition and i don't really know where to start, i do normally use blender.

Hi, welcome! There are some great tutorials here on the site and a ton of them on the official YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/PILGWAY3DCoat

Hi, I've been using 3DCoat for a while now and figured it wise to join the forum here, in order to learn more.

I get the gist of the modelling process, and enjoy it, but feel I need some help in becoming more familiar with 3DCoat.  My goal is to become a better artist, but I wouldn't mind getting to the level where one could make models for games.  It would be nice to say to my mates "You see that coffee mug over there? Yup...I made that." ;)

Anyway, 3DC seems an amazing package and Pilgway has a great relationship with its customers.  Looking forward to chatting with you all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Bernd and I'm from Berlin-Germany. I'm an old 3D Studio Max and Cinema 4D user. Last week I've bought 3D Coat. For me it's a little bit hard, to become familiar with such a program. But the support with free video tutorials here is great! Last week I spent my time with learning the functions from 3D Coat. My first impression - 3D Coat is beautiful! In the past I had build up many models with C4D and some of them are shown on my homepage. Today I did my first sculpt with 3D Coat and like to show what I did. Sure I have to learn much in working with 3D Coat but I the prog from the first day.

So I wish you all happy modeling with 3D Coat .

Bernd

cartoon_f.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hi, I am Lorenzo from Italy.

I bought 3DC some weeks ago and I am having lots of fun modeling this way!

I only got some problems in setting up the graphic card with CUDA, I'll ask you some advice in the next days

Welcome aboard. You don't need to do anything special to install CUDA. Just install the latest NVidia driver and it includes CUDA in it. It is generally used in the Voxel Sculpting brushes, only.

Hi everyone !!,

My name is Marco, i'm from Italy and i'm a very new 3dCoat user.

After playing sometimes with the trial version, i decided to buy a Pro license for Windows 64 bit, and just this morning i received my license key.

I'm happy for this choice 'cause i had a limited budget and i spent some weeks to try and compare most famous 3d sculpting

software on Windows at nowadays, and i thing that, at the moment, there isn't any 3d sculpt package that can compare

to 3dCoat, especially about the features/price ratio.

I'm also a Rhino 3d V5 user, 'cause i thing it's a fantastic 3d nurbs modeler, and i hope that i can use both software

together in my workflow, in a productive and efficient way.

I hope that in a near future 3DCoat will be supplied with a Rhino AppLink, perhaps even with an integration

to the Thea Render, that i currently use in tandem with Rhino.

Have a nice day!

Marco.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just got started today in 3D Coat, and wow, I love it already.

But anyway, my name is Mike and I am a Canadian / Dutch guy ( Raised in Canada, Living in Holland )

I own a YouTube channel dedicated to modeling, texturing, rigging and animation. Most of my videos are on Maya.

I love learning new stuff and I know I will enjoy the learning path on 3D coat

Mike

Hi everyone.  My name is Kenzie and I am a character artist in the video game industry and I am interested in trying out 3D coat.  I downloaded it and installed it as the 30 day trial. 

I am having trouble importing models into the voxel sculpting.  They don't show up at all.  Scaling doesn't seem to help.  I made sure the models I try to import are air tight and don't have interpenetrating parts.  Still no luck.  I have watched several videos showing how to import models and nothing works.  I am running Windows 8.1 and I have a GTX 980 and 64 gigs of ram.  I've even tried exporting a box or sphere from Max and they wont import.  I must be doing something wrong.  The objects that come with 3D coat can be added to the voxel scene.  They work just fine and I can sculpt so the issue probably isn't the program itself or an incompatibility issue.  Thoughts?  I can write up a post about this in one of the other secions of the forum but I figured I'd introduce myself and ask a question.  ;) 

Hmm. I don't have it in front of me to test but what I usually do is go into sculpting from the splash screen. Then find the Import tool on the left side. From the tool options panel I load the object then hit the auto-size button. I prefer a little more detail so I scale it up a tiny bit from there, then press enter or the Apply button on the panel. At that point is fine, just have to switch to another tool to see it properly.

If you're still not seeing anything maybe check your video driver. Like if you're using the CUDA version of 3DC but don't have a Cuda card. Or maybe try DX instead of Open GL or vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that once in a while I get this error.  Any idea what I need to do to fix this?  Is it drivers?  It can happen on any of the 3D coat launchers.  Here is a youtube vid I made of the error.  The polys look like they are exploding when I import any kind of model.  It doesn't happen every time but I think it must be why I am having trouble importing models. 

https://youtu.be/9YGB6J7sZYw

• Like 1

I'd appreciate what exactly I am doing wrong.  Considering I have followed several tutorials on importing models and using models to kitbash I don't know what you are referring to.  I started with a sphere to see that I can actually load a model and sculpt.  I tried to add a cube to the voxel scene which I have seen many tutorials do.  It works half the time but it also can do what the video did as well.  When loading up 3D coat and selecting voxel sculpting it asks if you want to import a model.  This has never worked for me.  Again, I had followed a tutorial to do this.  It's pretty simple.  Trouble shooting why it isn't working the way it does in tutorials is where I'm having trouble.  I'll watch the official tutorials to see if there is something I am missing about voxel sculpting and importing models into a voxel scene.  A coworker of mine that has the program at work did exactly what I did and it worked fine so I assumed there is something wrong with my setup specifically. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

In this case and as you describe it right now , i would say

1) Unistall

2) Delete folder from your documents

\Documents\3D-CoatV3

\Documents\3D-CoatV45

3) Restart

4) Reinstall by right click run as  administrator 

5) Re test exactly what you are trying to achieve here 

6) Inform us so we can find a solution

Edited by Michaelgdrs

I just wanted to give an update.  I think anything else I have to ask I should probably start a thread.  I reinstalled the program and it seems to have helped.  I have been able to get models imported into the program now.  The only issues I get now seem to be scale related.  Even when using the auto scale function sometimes it seems to make an object huge or so small you can't see it.  The transform gizmo just disappears or offsets strangely too.  Not every time but it happens a lot.  I find if I start with the Large sphere and add layers and import that helps.  I got 1 crash which I sent in the bug report.  

The main reason I am looking in to 3D coat is because of being able to use Voxels like booleans.  I want to be able to take a sculpt that I have done and then cut out shapes for joints and to hollow it out for 3D printing.  There are many tutorials for 3D coat but many of them are outdated or are so basic that they never seem to touch on what I need to know.  I don't need a video on each sculpting brush for example.  But a workflow video starting with importing, editing and exporting is what I desperately need.  And a decent video talking about the current interface and general navigation.  I watched a few hours of basic tutorials but I still haven't found what I am looking for.  I have 20 days left on my trial.  I'd like to get to be able to really evaluate the program before the end of my trial.  I will purchase it if I can get a good workflow for what I need.  Thanks so much for the help.  Reinstalling did seem to help quite a bit. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Glad i helped.

For what you ask its an easy task.

I can get you a tutorial in the weekend if you want , unfortunately now i am up to the neck with work , i am sorry.

• Reputable Contributor

I just wanted to give an update.  I think anything else I have to ask I should probably start a thread.  I reinstalled the program and it seems to have helped.  I have been able to get models imported into the program now.  The only issues I get now seem to be scale related.  Even when using the auto scale function sometimes it seems to make an object huge or so small you can't see it.  The transform gizmo just disappears or offsets strangely too.  Not every time but it happens a lot.  I find if I start with the Large sphere and add layers and import that helps.  I got 1 crash which I sent in the bug report.  

The main reason I am looking in to 3D coat is because of being able to use Voxels like booleans.  I want to be able to take a sculpt that I have done and then cut out shapes for joints and to hollow it out for 3D printing.  There are many tutorials for 3D coat but many of them are outdated or are so basic that they never seem to touch on what I need to know.  I don't need a video on each sculpting brush for example.  But a workflow video starting with importing, editing and exporting is what I desperately need.  And a decent video talking about the current interface and general navigation.  I watched a few hours of basic tutorials but I still haven't found what I am looking for.  I have 20 days left on my trial.  I'd like to get to be able to really evaluate the program before the end of my trial.  I will purchase it if I can get a good workflow for what I need.  Thanks so much for the help.  Reinstalling did seem to help quite a bit. 

I would just say that if you happen to have issues where the model isn't visible when importing, and you cannot see the gizmo, in the TOOL OPTIONS panel, click on RESET AXIS > AUTO-SCALE. It would also be a good practice to hide other layers you have in the scene, when importing, so that they are not obscuring the visibility of the object you are importing.

• Like 1

Hello all, my name is Everett.  I'm a Graphic Designer who is looking to broaden his horizons, and I've always wanted to break into 3D modeling, but have been trying to find the right avenue to really get started.  I tried Blender, and did make a few things, but the more mechanical way of doing things didn't really appeal to me, and life at the time got in the way, so I never got far.  I have tried tutorials for just about every 3D modeling program out there, but 3DC is the first one that really seemed to suit my way of thinking.  However, my tinkering with it hasn't made much progress, as I had a Macbook Pro, which isn't really all that powerful, and while I liked the tools, the system couldn't really handle the rendering very well.  This has been recently remedied, however, as in addition to other reasons, I have been building a Work Computer that can probably handle anything I could ever want to throw at it, and to go along with it, I purchased the Education/Hobbyist level.  One day I hope I can use 3DC for more professional ends, but at this point, I know that's a ways off.  When the day comes, however, I will make the upgrade.

In any event, I plan on working this week on a fairly simple character model to reinforce what I've learned so far.  I have already figured out a good way to set up a base using the Curves tool, but I have yet to get quite get down what my settings should be for shaping the model, because when I build up on it, it tends to get somewhat blobby.  However, I am still very new, and looking for tips, tricks, or other advice.

• Reputable Contributor

Hello all, my name is Everett.  I'm a Graphic Designer who is looking to broaden his horizons, and I've always wanted to break into 3D modeling, but have been trying to find the right avenue to really get started.  I tried Blender, and did make a few things, but the more mechanical way of doing things didn't really appeal to me, and life at the time got in the way, so I never got far.  I have tried tutorials for just about every 3D modeling program out there, but 3DC is the first one that really seemed to suit my way of thinking.  However, my tinkering with it hasn't made much progress, as I had a Macbook Pro, which isn't really all that powerful, and while I liked the tools, the system couldn't really handle the rendering very well.  This has been recently remedied, however, as in addition to other reasons, I have been building a Work Computer that can probably handle anything I could ever want to throw at it, and to go along with it, I purchased the Education/Hobbyist level.  One day I hope I can use 3DC for more professional ends, but at this point, I know that's a ways off.  When the day comes, however, I will make the upgrade.

In any event, I plan on working this week on a fairly simple character model to reinforce what I've learned so far.  I have already figured out a good way to set up a base using the Curves tool, but I have yet to get quite get down what my settings should be for shaping the model, because when I build up on it, it tends to get somewhat blobby.  However, I am still very new, and looking for tips, tricks, or other advice.

Welcome aboard. I started out studying Graphic Design and got into 3D the same way you did...to use it as another tool to expand my capabilities. Before long, though, I was all in on 3D, but having Graphic Design skills always helps. I think 3D Coat makes the most sense for a Graphic Designer because for the most part, you don't have to concern yourself with vertices, edges and polygons, and having to clean up boolean operations and such. It's good to know how to poly model, just in case, but Voxel Modeling lets you skip all the piddling with all those sub-elements and just create. It also allows you, via Vertex Painting, ot just paint or apply PBR smart materials to your voxel model, directly. No UV's to be concerned with and such. Then when you are ready to render everything out, to add to your Graphic Design project, you go to the Render room and knock it out.

If you need a little more rendering capability (although I think Andrew has someone working on a full-featured GPU render), you can export your model as in .FBX or .PLY format and apply vertex color maps in the corresponding channels of your shaders, in your host 3D app (Blender Cycles would be a good option for you, since you already have a little experience there)