3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Greetings!

It seems like this is the place to get started.
I am relatively new to the digital sculpting world. I recently purchased 3D Coat and love the way the program works.

It's great to be here and I look forward to getting to know the community better.

On 05/06/2016 at 6:53 PM, AbnRanger said:

Very cool, and welcome aboard. I remember TVPaint from a conversation on the Newtek forums, years ago. Weren't you guys somewhat affiliated with Newtek at some point in the past? Nonetheless, it was very impressive then. I can imagine how much more so it is now. If have to do any 2D animation work, I will definitely look at TV Paint first. It seemed to be a great alternative to Toon Boom, if I recall correctly.

Make sure to check out the videos on the 3D Coat Youtube Channel. There are probably a few hundred on there...not that you will need to watch anywhere near that many, but they are there to sort of cherry pick what you need know:

Thanks for your message ! I didn't notice immediately that someone replied.

True, Newtek was reselling the TVPaint technology under the "Aura" name until 2002-2003 then it was bundled with the VideoToaster only.
But to sum up the story quickly, TVPaint evolved on its own after that, mostly to specialize in the 2D Bitmap animation field.
Today, we are behind some cool films & games : the Song of the Sea, Ethel n Ernest, Red Turtle, Hirune Hime, Charlie Brown, StarCraft, Overwatch, etc.

Thanks for the links. I already watched some of the videos and will post some questions later.
In the past, I used to play with Poser, Silo and Filer Forge for 3D stuff. So I need to think different today.
End 2015, I looked into Substance Painter, ZBrush and 3DCoat. I felt more confortable with 3DCoat approach, so I decided to go ahead with it.

Playing with voxels and PBR is cool and interesting, I wish I can practice more in the future.

Hello guys, greeting from Croatia. I am hoping to get grasp of 3D Coat as it seams very promising. My main goals to do with 3D Coat is UV unwraping and painting. My primary tools are Cinema 4D and Maxwell which I love to the core, lets hope 3D Coat will serve just as those two. My primary concerns are pretty much only workflow, some things just dont make sense, but thats maybe just me. Lets hope for the best. 

Is there any good tutorial you guys would suggest regarding interface and workflow? i would be very grateful. :)

Happy modeling and let the best team wins on soccer World Cup in France. 

Regards,

Igor

• Contributor

Howdy Igor, you will find this forum as congenial as the Cafe. There are numerous tutorials on all aspects of 3D-Coat  and Retopology and Painting are well covered. Painting now is augmented by PBR shaders that you can create or get from other users.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
19 hours ago, TVPaint_Fabrice said:

Thanks for your message ! I didn't notice immediately that someone replied.

True, Newtek was reselling the TVPaint technology under the "Aura" name until 2002-2003 then it was bundled with the VideoToaster only.
But to sum up the story quickly, TVPaint evolved on its own after that, mostly to specialize in the 2D Bitmap animation field.
Today, we are behind some cool films & games : the Song of the Sea, Ethel n Ernest, Red Turtle, Hirune Hime, Charlie Brown, StarCraft, Overwatch, etc.

Thanks for the links. I already watched some of the videos and will post some questions later.
In the past, I used to play with Poser, Silo and Filer Forge for 3D stuff. So I need to think different today.
End 2015, I looked into Substance Painter, ZBrush and 3DCoat. I felt more confortable with 3DCoat approach, so I decided to go ahead with it.

Playing with voxels and PBR is cool and interesting, I wish I can practice more in the future.

Yeah, I have largely stayed with 3D Coat since the early V3 days, mainly because you had top shelf tools in the categories of Texture Painting, Retopo, and UV layout....and Voxels happened to be very different. You could do some really good sculpting work with it, even if it wasn't as refined as ZBrush or Mudbox, then. It has come a long, long way since those early days (in terms of sculpting), to the point that it has effectively overtaken Mudbox, for the No.2 sculpting spot....as it has many more sculpting brushes, not to mention voxels and dynamic subdivision sculpting (which neither ZB or MB offer).

With the PBR Smart Materials and Shaders (neither ZB or MB offer) + vastly improved sculpting capabilities, I never feel like I have to leave 3D Coat to do a particular task in the pipeline, until it's time to send the model to a major 3D app or game engine, for animation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

Howdy Igor, you will find this forum as congenial as the Cafe. There are numerous tutorials on all aspects of 3D-Coat  and Retopology and Painting are well covered. Painting now is augmented by PBR shaders that you can create or get from other users.

Hi Toni, thanks for taking time to drop a reply, very much appreciated. Ill have to sniff out this forum little better. :)

Regards,

Igor

P.S.- why there is no notification for when I get reply or my post being approved?

EDIT: I just realized you didn't tag me or quote @Tony Nemo and I dont follow the thread, so probably thats the case. So little tip for everyone who doesn't know, use @ for tagging  someone like this @SIgor and that person should be notified.

• Like 1

• Contributor
9 hours ago, SIgor said:

P.S.- why there is no notification for when I get reply or my post being approved?

EDIT: I just realized you didn't tag me or quote @Tony Nemo and I dont follow the thread, so probably thats the case. So little tip for everyone who doesn't know, use @ for tagging  someone like this @SIgor and that person should be notified.

Thanks for the 'head's up', Igor! The fact that you're an Admin on the Cafe means your more familiar with a forum's ins and outs than me.:o

1 hour ago, Tony Nemo said:

Thanks for the 'head's up', Igor! The fact that you're an Admin on the Cafe means your more familiar with a forum's ins and outs than me.:o

Hehe, yea, I will not say I know more, but I am very familiar with the IPS as I am admin at C4D Cafe. Pretty much running everything by myself. If you guys need some assistance, feel free to send me a PM or whatever you guys prefer. ;)

Cheers,

Igor

P.S. - auto retopo, its killing me. :( 

• Contributor
6 minutes ago, SIgor said:

P.S. - auto retopo, its killing me. :( 

I find that the user can 'kill' Autopo, usually by too many splines or crossing splines. Try letting the algorithm do the work and see if it can give what you want.

1 minute ago, Tony Nemo said:

I find that the user can 'kill' Autopo, usually by too many splines or crossing splines. Try letting the algorithm do the work and see if it can give what you want.

Problem is I dont have a clue what I am doing as I am a complete newbie in 3D Coat...when I want to switch model to voxelize, my mesh just goes crazy.

EDIT: its a simple model really, but I just cant resolve the issues.

Igor

Edited by SIgor

• Reputable Contributor
7 hours ago, SIgor said:

Problem is I dont have a clue what I am doing as I am a complete newbie in 3D Coat...when I want to switch model to voxelize, my mesh just goes crazy.

EDIT: its a simple model really, but I just cant resolve the issues.

Igor

I think what is happening is that you probably have single-sided objects and Voxels cannot work properly with single-sided objects. You need to give it some thickness (shell) or close the object. A good example of this would be importing a piece of clothing, where it is just a single-sided mesh. Upon import, you should check ADD THICKNESS in the Tool Options panel (of IMPORT tool).

If you have already imported the model as a Surface mode object, to voxelize it, you can RMB the layer and click THICKEN. Voxels simply demand volume, as the name implies (VOLUME-etric pixels).

• Like 1

@AbnRanger, I just cant  figure whats wrong  with the mesh and switching to Voxel mode, so here's the file and if you have time to decipher whats wrong with this mesh I would be very grateful. Its nothing I need, but I am just curios at this point as I just cant figure out what to do to fix this, I always get messy mesh, whatever I do.

Cheers,

Igor

bananaupdateDJ.obj

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi. My name is Werner Ziemerink from a company called Luma Animation in South Africa. We are a SideFX Houdini production house.
Our focus is character animation for commercials, but do also do some tv series and movie work...from time to time.

I just started with the trail version and hope 3D Coat can be introduced into our workflow. So far I'm really loving it.

• Like 1

Howdy!

Being a new 3D-Coat User for a few days now I missed to introduce myself.

My name is Phiipp and like Brian I am a stay-at-home father, for so many years now. I started working in a Architectural Office, then doing ArchViz there and making myself a freelancer until the kids came and I thought I could do both at the same time. Boy was I wrong :D

Now they are getting older and I would like to start again. I use Rhino and Lightwave, never got the grasp with ZB, render with Keyshot for ZB and Octane for LW. So many great improvments have been made since the last time I did such stuff, cool!

A friend of mine told me about 3D-Coat he uses mainly for Painting, then I got the reminder mail that it was five years ago I had tested 3DC and was invited to do another test. And yes, that's the beginning of a love story. :) And the guys and gals? from the support&Sales are so nice, that I directly had another other friend buy 3DC, :) and he his friend :)

Yep, happy to have found 3DC again. And 4.7 is sooo cool.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone, just bought 3D Coat Pro, after testing it out for 30 days I am so happy to stumble over this Program from PILGWAY, you guys just such a great job, it has a real easy learning curve and one can adapt rather fast to the logic behind every perspective, I tried almost all 3D Sculpting/Modeling Programs ( From Z to A ) and in my humble opinion you guys are really on the right track. Thanks for sharing this wonderful application with the rest of the world for such a small price.

The Community here is really great I read lots of great things and I am happy it is not corrupted. So thanks again!

My real name is P.Simon, I go under the nickname Speike-Styles.

I do many things so it would be hard to compile this all down to just one name, but I can give it a try a "Multi Media Creator :) "

I wish everyone a pleasant day.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm Davide from Italy.

Arrived to 3d-Coat searching for a tool helping me with 3d scans.

Collaborating with a NPO I'm just the guy that push for innovation in term of visual scenograpy and technology.

Planning to use 3d-Coat to support some 3d theatrical background creation and also experimenting with 3d scanning and 3d printing with some other companies and academic institutions.

Using right now HitFilm Pro and experimented with iClone, Cinema 4D and Indigo Render, I tried also some CAD for solid modelling.

Main interest retopology, mesh operations and adjustment, painting, I hope in the future to become good enough to start sculpting.

• Like 1

G'Day to all the folks at 3D Coat forum

I'm Chris from Melbourne Australia

I started in 3D modelling/Animation back when Alias Wavefront was the software of the day. Anyway I took a break from the 3D industry for about 4 years ago to pursue other things, now  I'm just doing 3D stuff for the fun of it. So these days I'm just working on stuff I enjoy mainly working on a Fink style of art which 3D coat lends itself to very well.

I found the 3d coat demo about six weeks ago and have been playing with it ever since. I brought the software a couple of days and enjoy using it very much. I personally think it's every bit as good ZBrush.

So anyway I upload a few images a bit later as I become better with the software.

Cheers

• Like 1

Greetings all,

I'm a digital artist designer who graduated art school not that long ago with a degree in Visual Effects & Motion Graphics (VEMG). I had wanted to update my skills. VEMG encompasses a whole spectrum of technologies related to making visuals that fool people - mostly effects for commercials and movies. So 3D modeling was just one of many aspects covered.

The training I did receive in 3D modeling was on a very basic level. I did experience some box & strip modeling, rigging, and animation in 3DsMax. And also I did a little subdivision sculpting within Cinema 4D; but I've never taken a 3D project from start to finish in a work flow built for games or video. So I know very little about the specifics of UV mapping, topology, or rendering-based technologies like ray tracing & shaders. 

When I was graduated, I had the opportunity to take a different path. I started doing some practical design/prototyping. For that I had to train in CAD with Rhinoceros. I loved being able to prototype real-world objects using CNC milling or 3D printing. The CAD environment, with its NURBS and T-Splines is precise and a perfect fit for those output technologies. But CAD is stricter and less flexible than strip modeling... plus it is really weak when it comes to producing organic shapes and textures. I can see how 3D models can be "organically enhanced" through painted UV maps (and it does look like 3D Coat has a lot of great tools for that).... But that stuff only works for screen-oriented products. Real-world prototypes need real-world volumes & textures.

I'm really intrigued by the voxel paradigm within 3D Coat and I'm hoping I might find a workflow that enhances Rhino CAD models with Coat sculpts...

I'm not thinking it's going to be easy; but I'm hoping that it could be... I've played with ZBrush a little; and I was taken aback by the complexity of its unique UI and its strategy for subdivisions. I'm perceiving there would be a steep learning curve. So I pointed my self at 3D Coat. Coat's interface is also a bit confusing and overwhelming to me as well; but it does seem a little more conventional, and therefore might possibly be more intuitive for me. My main problem at this point is that everything seems so oriented toward UV mapping.

As I said I'm hoping that I can find a usable Rhino/3D Cat workflow that avoids everything but actual geometry and practical sculpts.

Thanks 4 listening

dayoldy

I understand, or think, that 3d Coat has an automatic retopology feature. If this is so, I would like to know. I want to know also, if it is easier and/or more automatic than that of Blender retopology with J. Williamson's retopology add-on. How much work does it entail to get 3D Coat to automatically retopologize my sculpts. I don't think the 30 day trial is going to do it. However I would feel pretty stupid to buy the full licensed package and find that Blender can do as well, or better. I am pretty slow to start with but hope eventually to find a software that does retopology fairly automatically, maybe someday when it has been produced. Where is even the command or tab or key to start auto retopo in 3D Coat? I am only interested in 3d Coat because it appears to claim that the user can automatically retopologize a high poly sculpted obj.

BTW I tried to attach an existing .obj file here and the software told me I am limited to 19+ MB file size but file is 3,769 KB. Is this an evil Omen of what to expect from 3D Coat?

16 minutes ago, reidh said:

I understand, or think, that 3d Coat has an automatic retopology feature. If this is so, I would like to know. I want to know also, if it is easier and/or more automatic than that of Blender retopology with J. Williamson's retopology add-on. How much work does it entail to get 3D Coat to automatically retopologize my sculpts. I don't think the 30 day trial is going to do it. However I would feel pretty stupid to buy the full licensed package and find that Blender can do as well, or better. I am pretty slow to start with but hope eventually to find a software that does retopology fairly automatically, maybe someday when it has been produced. Where is even the command or tab or key to start auto retopo in 3D Coat? I am only interested in 3d Coat because it appears to claim that the user can automatically retopologize a high poly sculpted obj.

BTW I tried to attach an existing .obj file here and the software told me I am limited to 19+ MB file size but file is 3,769 KB. Is this an evil Omen of what to expect from 3D Coat?

Check this out, maybe this will help. 

Morning...  Another sort-of new user here.  Previously I've only used 3D Coat to clean up jewellery models generated in Rhino, now I'm starting to look at sculpting them from scratch in 3DC for subsequent 3d printing.  If I've understood things correctly, that generally means I've no reason to venture outside the sculpt room?

I've not yet found much in the way of tutorials on modelling objects to specific real-world sizes (google fu failure, probably), would anyone be able to point me towards one or two, please?

Honestly I'm still a little confused by the scale thing myself so I always bring my models into another program like LightWave to check the scale before 3D printing. As for other rooms you may find the Retopo room helpful, If I'm looking for really smooth clean lines sometimes I like to sculpt it roughly in the Sculptroom, then do a retopo, then bring the retopo mesh into the sculpt room and apply smoothing to it while importing.

Everything gets put through Netfabb prior to printing, so there's an opportunity to check measurements, but it'd be far preferable to make sure it's right first time.  What I've been doing is to create a primitive (e.g. cylinder for a ring cutout) and using that, but it'd be nice to see a workflow that was based around sculpting jewellery.  One thing I use in Rhino is gems with associated cutters - both get scaled the same, both get the same alignment.  I think that would mean they need to be on different layers in 3D Coat, but I've yet to find a way to link transform operations to both of them (or work out if they ought to be primitives instead).  That said, I'm still adapting to moving between voxel & surface modes.

I'll have another look at retopo, thank you.