3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Hello!

My name is Saad, located in North Carolina. 

Links: https://www.behance.net/emrgnce_ | http://emrgnce.tumblr.com/ | https://www.instagram.com/emrgnce_/

Experience: 5+ years with After Effects, 1 year with Cinema4D (3D stuff in general). 

I just purchased 3DCoat a week or so ago -- definitely looking forward to learning it well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm Antti from Finland.

A friend of mine suggested 3D-Coat and I bought it after watching couple of videos. And it is GREAT!

Especially as I use Lightwave (with Octane Render) for 3D in general. I have tried to learn ZBrush for a year but already now I am much more familiar and 'at home' with 3DC than ever with Zbrush. I still have a lot to learn of course and that online 'manual' does not help with that but still I really like 3DC :)

I also do 3D Printing at home (and at work) so 3DC using real units is VERY important to me as well :)

P.S. What I need to do to be able to reply in this forum elsewhere?

Antti

1 minute ago, philnolan3d said:

Hi Antti, welcome to the forum. I'm also a LightWave user. You shouldn't have any trouble replying in the rest of the forum.

Thank you :)

But I wanted to report problems with latest beta but in the "beta tesing thread" I cannot reply or quote at all. Is that some special place where you need to invited or why is it like that? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally downloaded the trial of 3D Coat after many recommendations from people for doing UVs. I'm blown away with how well it works. It reminds me of Headus, but it's a bit easier to manage. I'm just getting back to work on my portfolio and I'll be purchasing 3d Coat and adding it to my workflow.

There is one weird issue I'm having where I'm unable to select geometry. Is there a special tool or something I'm missing or is this a bug? I'm exporting .OBJs from Maya 2016. Thanks!

1 hour ago, artbyv said:

Hi all,

Finally downloaded the trial of 3D Coat after many recommendations from people for doing UVs. I'm blown away with how well it works. It reminds me of Headus, but it's a bit easier to manage. I'm just getting back to work on my portfolio and I'll be purchasing 3d Coat and adding it to my workflow.

There is one weird issue I'm having where I'm unable to select geometry. Is there a special tool or something I'm missing or is this a bug? I'm exporting .OBJs from Maya 2016. Thanks!

Hey Jeffrey! Welcome. :)

It depends on what room you're in, each one has a different way. If you're trying to select in the Paint Room, you actually  need to go to the Tweak Room. That's the mesh editing room for Paint Objects.

For the UV Room you can only select edges in the 3D viewport, and any element in the UV editor. To change selections, look on the top bar for the different mode toggles. To actually edit them, make sure "Manipulate" is ticked on.

The Retopo Room has similar functions as the UV Room, the element modes are on the top bar, but there is an actual Select tool. Activate the tool to see the modes.

In the Sculpt Room, is different. Essentially everything is selected, until you mask it. Any operation can be performed on area of the sculpt excluding the masked area. I can elaborate on that if you'd like. Just let me know. :)

4 minutes ago, Javis said:

Hey Jeffrey! Welcome. :)

It depends on what room you're in, each one has a different way. If you're trying to select in the Paint Room, you actually  need to go to the Tweak Room. That's the mesh editing room for Paint Objects.

For the UV Room you can only select edges in the 3D viewport, and any element in the UV editor. To change selections, look on the top bar for the different mode toggles. To actually edit them, make sure "Manipulate" is ticked on.

The Retopo Room has similar functions as the UV Room, the element modes are on the top bar, but there is an actual Select tool. Activate the tool to see the modes.

In the Sculpt Room, is different. Essentially everything is selected, until you mask it. Any operation can be performed on area of the sculpt excluding the masked area. I can elaborate on that if you'd like. Just let me know. :)

Thank you! I appreciate the quick reply. There is a video on YouTube that shows how to copy and paste UVs from one object to another that I was trying to follow, but I can't get it to work. It's about 4 years old so I'm not sure if it changed. I'm in the tweak room and I can see the list of options across the top bar. If I click on vertices, edges, or faces, I still can't get anything selected when I click on the model. I can paint on the model in the Paint room and I can do UVs and all that in the UV room, but I can't select anything. Not sure if I'm just being dense, but it's not working for me.

No problem. :)

For the copy/paste of UVs, I'm sure you've already made sure of this, but just in case... The mesh should be perfectly symmetrical, or it wont work at all. I don't think the operation has changed, so it should still work. For selections in the UV room - I think I understand what you're trying to do. In the UV room, you can only select edges in the 3D view, whatever element mode you have active will apply only to the UV editor. It seems counter intuitive, I know. But you'll (eventually)get used to it. :) 

In the Tweak Room, unless there has been some change, there shouldn't be any options on the top bar for the element modes. On the left Tool Panel, there's a Select/Transform tool, when activated will bring up the Tool Options panel, and that panel should have all the options you would need to transform your selection, and to expand/contract/etc. your selection. There are a couple of different modes tool, brush selection, object and gradient. You probably want to use the brush mode from what I gather. So paint a selection, and then use one of the transform modes to bring up the gizmo.

On 8/15/2016 at 11:13 AM, Carlosan said:

Hi !

Sorry but you need Apprentice rank (+50 content items) to post there

On 8/15/2016 at 11:16 AM, atnreg said:

Ah ok so not anytime soon :D

Ok then I'll write to support as I already have once :)

Thanks!

On 8/15/2016 at 1:36 PM, philnolan3d said:

Ah, my mistake. I didn't know about that rule.

I changed this setting. Any new user can post there now. It seems really restrictive to new users, It also didn't exist before the last forum update. Poof.

11 minutes ago, Javis said:

I changed this setting. Any new user can post there now. It seems really restrictive to new users, It also didn't exist before the last forum update. Poof.

Thank you very much :)

Which is best place/way to notify about bugs/ideas, that thread or directly writing to Andrew?

• Like 1

It depends I suppose. I usually will post on the forum if I feel discussion is a good way to go, or to get other people involved to show Andrew there is interest. If it's immediate and serious bug, I email him directly. There's also Mantis, which really helps keep track of things, so for most reports/FRs I post there, and will post on the forum too.

26 minutes ago, Javis said:

It depends I suppose. I usually will post on the forum if I feel discussion is a good way to go, or to get other people involved to show Andrew there is interest. If it's immediate and serious bug, I email him directly. There's also Mantis, which really helps keep track of things, so for most reports/FRs I post there, and will post on the forum too.

Ok :)

I tried Mantis but bugs that I reported there were fixed already some time ago (4.7.10 but before this official release) but Mantis still lists them as unsolved ;)

Thanks for the tips!

5 minutes ago, atnreg said:

Ok :)

I tried Mantis but bugs that I reported there were fixed already some time ago (4.7.10 but before this official release) but Mantis still lists them as unsolved ;)

Thanks for the tips!

NP! If you send me your Mantis user name, and/or the reports that are unresolved, I'll be happy to clean them up. :)

Edited by Javis
Added Mantis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Marvin. I currently reside in Oklahoma City. Through earning my Associates Degree in Computer Science/Game Development I learned the in & outs of polygon modeling, texturing, and level/environment design. As a child I was always drawing something that I would study and add my own artistic touch through shading/detail but I actually started getting more interested in games around the time Toy Story came out. I just remember thinking "games will be a huge thing when they look like that someday" This is very much my "coming out party" and to give a bit of history- after earning my degree the 'ol chip on my shoulder reared it's ugly head and basically my work was literally crap and I was aware of that much, heck I didn't even know how to bake normals from high poly, my textures always looked low res on my models even though there were 2048x2048, specular/gloss maps were a moot point[metal never looked like metal anyway] and I would just never get the results I wanted.I wanted it to look realistic and just felt something was missing.

After playing falling in love with the beauty Crysis 3 I came across a few PDF that Crytek release that showed their approach to developing the game. They briefly touched on creating diffuse and specular in a more physically based manner, not long after I came across a post-mortem for Killzone Shadowfall where they fully detailed that their materials were created for PBR. My first experience in PBR was with substance designer but prior to that I had remembered seeing someone doing amazing texturing directly on a model using this incredible program called 3DCoat. I was most likely just downright intimidated by the 'technical/elite' programs like 3D Coat and ZBrush. But as my skills improved I couldn't stop contemplating the possibilities. I was actually looking for a more advanced UV mapping tool, and although what improvements Maya has done in that area is great, I wanted the perks of a more dedicated tool. 3D Coat fits the need perfectly and then adds a ton more. I purchased the educational license and plan on upgrading. I'll be using it religiously for my more complex models. It is a bit more on the restrictive side due to it's different modes so I want to make sure I'm in line with what "can and can't" be done. So I do have a few questions:

1) If I want to bring in a high poly mesh from zbrush is fbx or obj preferred?

2) The axis orientation is completely off, I export as Y=up but the model imports as laying flat instead of standing up. What setting an I missing to import it with proper orientation?

3) I use the import object option, is this correct?

4) If I've created a model and its comprised of multiple layers, some surface/some voxel, what must be done so I can export the model as a single mesh for future endeavors[like texturing].

Thank in advance for welcoming me and for any valuable tips to help things so smoother.

Greetings,

My name is Anna and I live in Washington State. I have been using several 3d Programs over the years. Currently my two that I have been using are After Effects (Element by Video Co-Pilot for the past six years) and Iclone Pro for the past five years. On Occasion I have been using Bryce 7 to make backing plates.

I have been dabbling with making a Sci-Fi video with all 3D input.

I have purchased this new Program 3D Coat and I am afraid I am going to need some help on this one, I am very baffled with this one and I can usually figure things out on my own but not this time. Getting older is not helping either. I will be 69 on Halloween but still feel like 18.

I am looking forward to sharing your ideas in getting back on track with this great program.

• Contributor

Welcome aboard, Rock Headed Girl. I have eleven years on you so I can safely say that you have enough spare neurons to become proficient in this marvelous program. At the top of this screen is a tab for 3D-Coat.com where (under "Learn") you can access the online videos.  It is constantly evolving so some of the videos are out of date but the techniques are the same. Have fun!

Hi

my name is Michael come from Trnava in Slovakia and I am new user of 3D coat what is great source for you creativity 

I use it since June this year what means not to Lang but I use him almost 24h/day

i am hobby graphic artist and for me is important to know perfect painting .

I work actually on simple game for mobile platform in unity direction painting 

thx