3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

• Reputable Contributor

Welcome Noxoreos! 

LOL.. I tend to overkill watching workflow tutorials at whatever I am learning too... :blink:

The videos by Alienmindfield series is a good one for new users, AbnRanger for the official 3DC Youtube as you described has done an outstanding job there.

I rather sculpt in 3DC too. 3DC and Mudbox do make good software companions though. Real Vector displacements maps which 3DC lacks at this time so Mudbox fills in that gap. Plus the sculpt layers. 

Andrew, I believe at some point will be adding Sculpt layers to 3DC. I know it is much requested my the community here.

Enjoy learning 3DC, It is still one of my most used programs having purchased 3DC Version 2 almost 10 years ago. 

Edited by digman

@Noxoreos

Thank you.

@digman

I find very useful tutorial that are overkill on explaining details. Especially for people like me,  english is my 3rd language and I dont use it everyday.

That said reading tutorial dosent make it for me I love those details and hate speed up videos. I find the art that is created cant be appreciated.

Remembering that everything that comes out of 3D Coat is a piece of art and unique at that.

So please by all means overkill videos are what makes the next generation of artist. Thank you digman for taking the time to take me by the hand and show me around. Noobs like me need more people like you! :good2:

Just to mention I found this video very detail and and super easy to fallow and has gotten me on a good start on 3D Coat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to everybody!

My name is Arian, I'm Italian and I'm a lightwave user....A friend of mine adviced me to try 3d coat cause it is a very good piece of software and very useful to lithgwave users...

I've just downloaded the demo :)

P.S

the demo has some restriction?

Ciao to everybody!

Hi! 
my name is Enric Sant, I'm from Barcelona, spain.
I'm concept artist, but usually Im generalist, I made 2d, 3d, animation, environments, particles etc... I've been working on video games for the last 7 years, and 4 years ago I create with 4 partners the company www.omnidrone.net, we do casual gaming for mobile platforms. 
I discovered 3d coat some months ago, and I started to use it seriously in february of this year, Its amazing.

here the last 3d concept I made in 3d coat, I hope you like it! 

CU!
4144dfc77d.jpg 

• Like 2

Hey all, my name is Hebron, i come from indonesia. Nice to meet you all. Anyone here come from Indonesia?? I have started to learn 3d coat for concept art since last year, but now i want to practice more seriously. Overall, on my mind, 3d coat voxel is really easy to use, easy to learn, and many ways to start a new object and refine it to become more complex..

• Like 1

Kia ora

Hope replying was the right thing to do not start a new topic, you can bet your boots if it can be done wrong I'm that guy.

Any way I'm Celtic descendant born in Gisborne New Zealand ( Aotearoa, land of the long White Cloud ). I maybe European but I think

we here are blessed to have a rich due culture. At coming up 68 I'm a hobbyist, been building my own PC's since Adam was a cowboy, well a while now <grin>

and have gotten into 3D after years of modding the Elder Scrolls game from as far back as Morrowind ( some of you youngish folkl might need to google that lol

now I'm playing round with Unity and UE4 getting no where having a ball, looking at knock the pants off my budget and buying this, shame it's not a 4k limit for a non profit types would not take so long to save, and is easyer to justify given it'll make me no money at the rate I learn, any way your stuck with me now, look forward to a lot of novice type questions <smile>.

• Reputable Contributor

Welcome Jerome and all new recent users...

@ Kiwi-Hawk...  You are in the old timers club here... :D You, Me and Tony leading the pack... I would imagine there are a few others hanging around. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  I'm a C4D motion graphics designer.  I just moved to LA (two weeks ago, in fact!) and am starting to build up some freelance clients.

I've spent the last few years in NYC working in television.  I've done a ton of tight turnaround graphics work, and am now looking to get more into some serious work, really developing my 3D skills.  I SUCK at UV mapping, and am hoping that 3D coat will make that world a little easier for me!

• Reputable Contributor
On 5/25/2017 at 3:37 PM, justincrowell said:

Hi everyone!  I'm a C4D motion graphics designer.  I just moved to LA (two weeks ago, in fact!) and am starting to build up some freelance clients.

I've spent the last few years in NYC working in television.  I've done a ton of tight turnaround graphics work, and am now looking to get more into some serious work, really developing my 3D skills.  I SUCK at UV mapping, and am hoping that 3D coat will make that world a little easier for me!

They are really easy in 3D Coat and if you are in a pinch for time, you can let 3D Coat apply UV's automatically, or you can use Ptex.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, John Carpenter here.  Retired mechanical engineer with lots of CAD and CNC experience but very little art modeling.  I play with Blender a little but really just starting to learn.  Want to model bas-reliefs and use my CNC routers to carve out the result.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm learning 3D graphic for games, and my aim is to become a character artist, even if I'm currently struggling even creating weapons :P
After long time trying ZBrush and 3DCoat I decided to opt for the second, and I'm liking it! Everytime I find myself saying "Oh ok, that detail should be made in ZBrush, I can't do it in ZBrush" after two minutes I find how to do that detail in 3DCoat. And I love that! 

I come from a traditional instruction, so it's a bit hard for me to work digitally sometimes, most of all because I'm studying all that stuff on my own, but I think that if I try very hard I can do it. Now I'm creating my first weapon for a game, and I'm a bit frustrated but also very satisfacted!

I want to say that I really appreciate the fact that 3DCoat's staff is always ready to help and support and also very educated.

Hope you're having fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.  I found 3dCoat while looking to solve a problem that couldn't be with Rhino for Mac.  I'm a hack for the most part - learn just enough to get what I need out of an application and then forget later how it was done.  These days the interface conventions are becoming more and more disparete.  It seems there should be a greater number of conventions adhered to in the progamming world, but even adobe makes different apps behave differently for instand with a scroll wheel - PS zooms, AI scrolls.  Command+C no longer copies in PS but brings up a color menu - F3 is copy. WTF?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi all,

Old newbie here.  Been playing with 3DC for years now but as I've been getting more and more involved with the small cottage industry of Poser/DAZ Studio I wanted to get more familiar with 3DC for things like making skin maps and morphs and what not.

I am 56 years old and I currently reside in the overly expensive area of Redwood City, California.  I've always been known as the "class clown" in about every circle in RL and on line so I may, in time, get silly and hopefully crack you up.... or not... but that's not my problem! :p:  Enjoying a mostly tolerable mild summer but I really want more rain, I do NOT want to go back to a drought situation any time soon, no fun, considering I work my real job doing hair so washing hair, rinsing out color and perms is just so wasteful but can't be avoided. 

Any who hopefully the friendly folks here will tolerate my many questions as they come up. 

My current works are creating products for Hivewire 3D's Dusk and Dawn figures, currently finishing up the brother and sister Tommy and Tina for them.  I'm pretty good in Photoshop and ZBrush and want to get much better in 3DC as I get more and more familiar with the many tools in this wondrous program. 

Thanks for the help in the past... now to go make a thread about skin help I need.....

Richard

• Like 2

Hello I'm Dhani. currently freelance 3d artist..i started learning 3d using 3ds max 7 back in the days, i mainly intrested in modeling and rendering, discover 3d coat about a year ago, and decide to bought it, i usually making Architecture 3d render, now i'm learning toward 3d illustration and concept art..3d coat help me learning to explore form and shape, so far i love 3d coat its different from zbrush but serve the same purpose is to having fun playing with form :p:.. here's some of my 3d coat 'experiment'

Primitive_robot7.thumb.png.8eda79ea2172c35e9a0d9bba048eb2f1.pngPrimitive_robot3.thumb.png.99e77a77b19d70fd75ee2877fc9fcf2e.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Hi all, long time 3D Coat fan and forum lurker here. I'd been heavily into 3D for quite a few years (mostly using 3DS Max and Maya) before discovering 3D Coat, but pretty much fell in love with it instantly and now it's my weapon of choice for almost everything.  Looking forward to contributing here and hopefully learning a whole bunch more in the process. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I tend to read forums and do not post much. I'm really interested in 3DCoat and using it along with Houdini. It is rather expensive where I am from (and I'm a part time UNI student), but hopefully I can pick it up near the end of the year and support it that way. For some reason, I'm more interested in 3DCoat than Zbrush - though I hope they give low poly modeling and sculpting tools more love in the future - and not just texturing tools (thought those are great too). Looking forward to the road ahead.

Hello everyone!!
Just recently joined the forums, although been watching it and using 3d coat for some time now, I work as a inhouse concept artist, and freelance illustrator at times. It really feels great to be a part of this 3d coat community :D Since I satrted using 3DC  I even completely forgot there is something like zbrush.. :P
Really looking forward to how this software will continue to evolve :D
Cheers everyone

Howdy all.

Decided today was the day, and I am now the proud owner of 3d-coat pro.

I am a hobbyist gamedev/artist, while most of my work has been 2d/vector, with a little experience in traditional 3D poly-modeling , but am looking to get into sculpting more.

I just couldn't seem to get my head around zbrush where I ever felt comfortable with it, and after tinkering with 3d-coat, it seems like I may be a good fit for me.

I have found some tutorials online, and looking forward to diving in, and learning more!

- Method72