3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

• 1 month later...

Hello! My name is Spyros. I am a Greek freelance 3D generalist and 43 years old. I started learning 3D as a teenager in 1992, using 3D Studio (MS-DOS). I have been freelancing since 2000 using Alias|Wavefront's (now Autodesk's) Maya mainly. I am slowly trying to transition to a Houdini - Blender 2.8 workflow and stop using Autodesk products, but it takes some time to establish a new pipeline while working at the same time.  I have always liked 3D Coat for it's features, and always was considering adding it to my toolset, which I did earlier this month. I am still learning the program, but I thought I should introduce myself and greet you all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there my new Iván J from Spain, I bought 3dCoat a lot of time ago, perhaps more then 5 years, I remind was the 3.7 version for my dead mac mini. Now I begin with Godot engine , some people said will be the new Unity3d (at least more people said is better to use than Unity), and 3dCoat with Blender really works fantastic, I think it the "trio of Ases".

In my past I was using 3ds Max , Cinema 4d, Photoshop and all this things of Windows, but someyears ago I will turn only to OpenSource and Software on my economy can permit me.

Another personal point, I love the 8 bits machines, I like program in C++ and Arduino experiments.

This is a bit from me (and my very bad english), thanks for accept to the forum , and I hope learn a lot of 3d coat.

Iván J

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I am brand new to 3d coat. I decided to get into becuase of retopology options. I am trying to do a retop for the first time and having a little bit of trouble. I can get my quads to work in not sure where I should even start and I watched a few tutorials but it was no help.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm Michele from Hong Kong. I'm a self taught hobbyist in 3D art and love hand-painted stuff. I make lowpoly props and small environment models in my spare time; while I do graphic design for my day job. I'm relatively new to 3D coat and frankly speaking I'm not a very technical person, I'm glad(and feeling relieved!) to have found a community of people to learn things from! :D

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

My name is Catherine and have been in this hobby for a few years now. Have been working more so with Hexagon and Daz Studio.

Now I have some time to learn more about 3DCoat and am looking forward to that journey.

1st step was how to get 3DCoat to "see" another drive to put its Contents. Found a 2017 forum link which was helpful but obviously not up to date for W10. As it took some poking about to find the right commands, thought I would post an image in here for others that might want to know how to get to the options for Environment Variables.

W10.png

Thank you :-)

I had looked over all the options in the program, found nothing ... so I "hid" the C documents and rather than asking where they were, the program recreated them. So then I searched for an answer and found that if one goes about it from the OS, the goal can be accomplished.

Reading your post, okay I looked again, there is a Browse if I want to look for something yes ... possibly I do not recognize the correct wording to accomplish the goal to have the main program on C, and all the Document folder on D.

Any way, it is all done now. {and the program is not recreating a Documents folder on C}

And so I merrily went off to purchase a file I had tested one of the freebies from. The freebie worked. The purchased product did not. Not exactly the best day in 3D I've ever had. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a nOOb here and in the 3D art space.

I wanted to say Hello and that the reason I choose 3D Coat for my sculpting software is because of this (image) 

I have Zbrush (regrettably at this stage) and I have never seen a 3D program hang on for dear life as much as 3D Coat! 

Sure it was sluggish .. but it didn't CRASH and that's one of the main reasons that sold me.

I was running the OpenGL version (not the fastest, but the more stable), with 64 GB of Ram, i9-9900k and a 2080ti Stix (beefy)

I have the CUDA enabled considering the graphics card. 

Is there any other tricks get to get more performance out of the Software?

Thanks

1020209601_Screenshot(37).thumb.png.6cb70efaac2602e26e63e41467751167.png

Hello and welcome !

Check the bottom of your screen, you have a red warning about  the layer being non-uniform. Voxels need to be uniform. Whenever you stretch the voxels along one axis only, they become non-uniform.

Right click on the vox-tree layer and select global space or uniform space to fix the problem.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I think your object just has far too many polys.

Just use voxels  to block out then go to surface mode , remesh and decimate to suit. You get sort of a feel for when you have to go from Vox to surface after a while.

If I was making that "thing" in the piccy it would probably be no more than about 20,000. ( of course I dont know what your workflow or aim is , just commenting on whats in front of me!)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow it's been a long time and it's been 10 years, but I don't think it's too late. I just joined here and really like the UV and Paint 3D Coat features. I am a 3D Model artist and currently studying UV and Texturing. Maybe after texturing can be mastered, I will continue to rigging and animation.
My main 3D software is Cinema 4D, good at using Photoshop and now studying 3D Coat as my texturing workflow.

Nice to meet you all.

Nandur

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. 

My name is Lee. I am a junior university student. I took some 3D classes from my school and I got more interest in 3D related fields. 

My major is a hybrid of computer science and art; therefore, knowing 3D helps me a lot. (Major name is Applied Computer Science) 

For 3D programs, I worked on Maya, 3D coat. For texture: Substance Painter, Quixel (did not really like this one)

A picture below is a tree I sculpted in the class that I am taking right now. 

3DCoatTree.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Hi,

I finally get a trial version of Genie Voice Command done and up on my website.
My Genie Voice Command helps make 3DCoat easier to use which can help 3DCoat in the long run.

Here is a link to my website and YouTube video.

Edited by Genie Voice Command

On 3/21/2020 at 12:45 AM, TheLee said:

Hi. 

My name is Lee. I am a junior university student. I took some 3D classes from my school and I got more interest in 3D related fields. 

My major is a hybrid of computer science and art; therefore, knowing 3D helps me a lot. (Major name is Applied Computer Science) 

For 3D programs, I worked on Maya, 3D coat. For texture: Substance Painter, Quixel (did not really like this one)

A picture below is a tree I sculpted in the class that I am taking right now. 

3DCoatTree.png

Love that tree! And a belated welcome to the forums.

The tree reminds me of some 'family trees' with regards to genealogy ;-)