3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Well Umm, OK! Hello Folks!

Just downloaded the 30 day trial in hopes this 3D coat will help me complete my 3D modeling.  Currently I can do 3D modeling and do a finished skin or Texture in layers and all that. But creating a UV map I never could do hardly at all. Hence why I am trying 3D coat. I have done textures or skins and Masters for Il2 Sturmovik and FreeSpace 2 and have done 3D modeling using both Wings 3D and Blender. I do all my skins and Textures on Corel photo paint as I have used that for well over 20 years now. I also do aviation profiles of WWII fighters like the P-51D, MiG-3, RE-2005, Ki-61-II etc. 

On a professional level, I have done Technical Illustration, Production Illustration and Technical Publications since 1981. 

Question, what's the difference between 3D Coat (GL) and 3D Coast (DX)?

Thanks Folks! :) 

• Reputable Contributor

Hello BrandonS59

Welcome!

Back in the day,  I was a member Of AKA_Wardogs squadron flying in IL2 Sturmovik...

There are some settings for UV map creations, that you need to be aware of. Send a pm to me and I will point you in the right direction. 

Hello again! Thank you for the warm welcome and nice to meet you folks! :)

I have a gamer laptop PC from RoG with a GEFORCE RTX 2080 game card. Carlosan, I notice you said Cuda is for Nvidia cards but I dont see it with my download. Granted it's a 30 day free trial and I tend to make the best of it too so I am assuming if I purchase this it will give me the Cuda version? Just thinking out loud  :) 

digman, nice to meet ya! Yeah back in the day that game was fun! I used to do map making at the end and even made some nice I-153 skins as I loved flying that plane. My all time favorite was the La-5FN as I loved it once I got the hang on how to fight with it. 

I'll PM you ASAP once I get time after dinner. I am in the Pacific Northwest of USA. 

Thanks everyone! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day All,

My name is John Gonzales,

I am a MODO User and have decided to use 3D Coat for painting as opposed to the built-in tools in MODO, which are really lacking. What I want to know in order to get started is the proper way to export to 3D Coat. I have been experimenting but the results are looking a bit dicey. I am fairly certain this is a result of my unfamiliarity with 3D Coat. So is there a resource I can refer to to get started?? Or are there any MODO users here that can give me some guidelines to go by?

Thanks in Advance

• Reputable Contributor

Not a Modo user but here is a video series on the MODO applink that was re-written a year ago.  Maybe it will help you on manual exporting as well.

I have not watched the videos.

Link to latest version I believe. Click on the Modo emblem to select the Modo applink for downloading.

https://3dcoat.com/download/applinks/

Edited by digman
more info

On 9/20/2020 at 4:53 PM, digman said:

Not a Modo user but here is a video series on the MODO applink that was re-written a year ago.  Maybe it will help you on manual exporting as well.

I have not watched the videos.

Link to latest version I believe. Click on the Modo emblem to select the Modo applink for downloading.

https://3dcoat.com/download/applinks/

Ahh, thanks. Yes, MODO does give you the option of .LWO when exporting. I never thought of that I have been using .OBJ and.FBZ, so far it has been a mixed bag it does come across but I an still not clear as to how to set it up in 3D Coat and to get down to painting. I am still not a hundred percent with getting started in 3D Coat. I will have some time next month once this project is passed. I thought  I would do what I could to acclimate myself with the process when I had some free time.  Thanks for the video, I will have a look and see if that

doesn't clear up some of my questions.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:45 PM, john gonzales said:

Ahh, thanks. Yes, MODO does give you the option of .LWO when exporting. I never thought of that I have been using .OBJ and.FBZ, so far it has been a mixed bag it does come across but I an still not clear as to how to set it up in 3D Coat and to get down to painting. I am still not a hundred percent with getting started in 3D Coat. I will have some time next month once this project is passed. I thought  I would do what I could to acclimate myself with the process when I had some free time.  Thanks for the video, I will have a look and see if that

doesn't clear up some of my questions.

Hey, John Gonzales! It is good to see another new Modonaut here in the 3DCoat forums! Hope you are well, my friend! 

• 1 month later...

Hello,
I was an amateur user of 3D coat (since April 2020) but decided to forgo any major hardware upgrades this fall and get 3D Coat Pro instead. :) I probably won't be "fast enough" to buy anything anyway, so why not?

What initially attracted me to 3D coat was the pencil tool. Sure, Blender has one too but when I saw a tutorial video showing 3D coat's version I was floored.

Anyway, I hope I can become a successful 3D coat modeler. I have a long long way to go. But it is by far the easiest modeling program I have ever picked up, aside from SketchUp. I also use Modo but it's been more difficult for me to "get it". I have an old perpetual Modo license and bought their maintenance last year, so I have access to 8 software versions and I've made more headway with 3D coat than with Modo this year. Maybe being a traditional sculptor has something to do it -- scribbling with voxels just seems more natural than manipulating polygons.

PS I hope after you release 2021 version Andrew Shpagin can find the time to revive his Tree Generator side project! :D

Hello. My name is Michael. I'm from Atlanta.
I have been fond of games since my childhood. My dream is to create my own game that will gain the same popularity as modern games.

I study 2D and 3D modeling. I work on such programs as Adobe Photoshop, Clickteam Fusion, Unreal Engine. I'm new to this, but I want to continue developing in this area and eventually create something of my own. I also good at drawing and I like creating characters according to my idea.

• Like 1

Hello Michael, welcome to our community !

Diiscord server was made for 3DCoat users to help share tips and get feedback in a live-chat environment. 

Please feel free to join if you want to.
https://discord.gg/014EEW9TajlBYvRg9

Cheere

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone

My name is Urs i am from Switzerland and i worked as a freelance 3d artist many years ago, mainly for television ads and exhibitions.

I did my first steps in 3d, in 1998. In parallel i am a music producer. The latter took over around 2010. But, i want to 3d again, need to learn a lot, however.

So much has changed in the past 10 years and i am eager to learn 3Dcoat as my go-to tool. 

I look forward to version 2021, as do many, i guess. Until then, i just try to learn the basics with the software and hope, with the 2021 release i have the foundation to really get started.

That's the short about me. Thanks for reading!

• Advanced Member

Hello!  I started a career many years ago, as a computer programmer.  I achieved a job working for a home improvement company for nine years, but found that my creative desires in that job were not being fulfilled.   Towards the end of that job, I started to stress, and become depressed.   When I requested a leave of absence to deal with what I felt was a building mental break down, they decided to let me go.  

Throughout my education, and later my career as a programmer, I often thought about getting into 3D modelling, and animation.   I often experimented with several programs over the years, and I wasn't too bad, but not the greatest either.   First 3D Max, because that was what the school I went to after I was fired used for training.  Later Maya, and now Blender.   Eventually I found the Second Life simulators, which allowed me to practice and improve my skills and make a little money on the side doing it.

Now, I'm working on my first full mesh playable creature.   Initially I intend to just make Second Life avatars, but once I am efficient at it in Second Life, I intend to apply my skills to other mediums.  I bought 3D coat consumer in the hopes of finding an efficient way to generate normal maps for my creatures.   I'm not the best at it yet, but I keep practicing and experimenting with it, and finding it very very powerful, I'm just clumsy with it yet.    Give me time though, and I'll improve.  Maybe some day I will actually make my own game.   One can hope right?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Callak said:

Hello!  I started a career many years ago, as a computer programmer.  I achieved a job working for a home improvement company for nine years, but found that my creative desires in that job were not being fulfilled.   Towards the end of that job, I started to stress, and become depressed.   When I requested a leave of absence to deal with what I felt was a building mental break down, they decided to let me go.  

Throughout my education, and later my career as a programmer, I often thought about getting into 3D modelling, and animation.   I often experimented with several programs over the years, and I wasn't too bad, but not the greatest either.   First 3D Max, because that was what the school I went to after I was fired used for training.  Later Maya, and now Blender.   Eventually I found the Second Life simulators, which allowed me to practice and improve my skills and make a little money on the side doing it.

Now, I'm working on my first full mesh playable creature.   Initially I intend to just make Second Life avatars, but once I am efficient at it in Second Life, I intend to apply my skills to other mediums.  I bought 3D coat consumer in the hopes of finding an efficient way to generate normal maps for my creatures.   I'm not the best at it yet, but I keep practicing and experimenting with it, and finding it very very powerful, I'm just clumsy with it yet.    Give me time though, and I'll improve.  Maybe some day I will actually make my own game.   One can hope right?

Never lose hope, and welcome!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, threedee said:

Never lose hope, and welcome!

It's hard to keep hope sometimes, but I manage.   Thanks for the well wishes though!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Marcin here, from Poland. I am a Blender user  and huge fan, 3d hobbist (i hope it will change some day). Former photographer, retoucher. In reality I like to draw with deep black ink and pencil as well. I absolutely love everything connected with 3D since I touched this area. 
I am becoming a fan od 3DC:) 

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone, I am really new to 3d Coat I decided to purchase it  last week and I am absolutely blown away at how good it is.  The feature set is so rich and already after only a week of practicing with it I can see  how 3d Coat is really going to help improve my skill level. Doing really complex modeling is a breeze, I have only skimmed the surface but what an amazing piece of kit. I am looking forward to really digging deep and seeing what I can produce with it. Thank you for making an excellent piece of software at an affordable price.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Zero plans on ever posting another thing on this forum but I'm forced to post this one. Ended my Windows career with Zbrush and Photoshop with a Linux move a few months back (harhar on the Lutris/Wine Zbrush thing- you can't make a living with dicey workarounds). Traded all that for Houdini, Krita... and. this. thing. called 3dCoat?

Majestic application. Mind crushed at this powerful toolset. Had some odd issues here and there but the more I dig the more I fully understand 3dCoat is a ZBrush killer ESPECIALLY for those moving from the tech giant insanity of Windows into the more sanguine fields of Linux.

I want to express deep appreciation to Pilgway for supporting the Linux world with a masterful piece of software. I fully plan on purchasing within weeks. I had zero interest in the sale. A company creating such a wizardry beast for the artists deserves to be paid handsomely.

Peace out from the bat

• Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Hello everybody!

My name is Vikrant and I live in Pune, India I am the founder of Atelier Studio! I am in this field since 2007 and would like to share my experience with you guys.

I love 3D modeling, rendering, product animation, and all that behind the three-dimensional graphics mode. I use 3D Maya, v-ray, Photoshop, Mudbox, Adobe After Effects, and others.