3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Since I started this forum, I'll start off a thread too I suppose!

My name is Javis. I am a freelance 3D generalist, leaning more toward the technical side of things versus the "art" side. I do mostly modeling, texturing and character rigging, while I am learning and especially interested in character animation. I am from Portland, OR in the U.S.. I do Video training for 3D-Coat and, minutely, a few other applications. I also do private tutoring if time allows.

I'm an admin on the forums here, and would like to welcome everyone aboard, new and existing users alike. All of the admins here are great, friendly, and even handed. So, enjoy your stay, introduce yourself, and feel free to ask any questions you need, even if they seem "newbie"ish to you. ;)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Nice idea, Javis! I live a few miles to your south on Humboldt Bay. In retirement I resumed an art career (3D modeling and animation used to be painting) and now I claim the 2nd oldest 3D Enthusiast title (@ 73; the "Oldest" title belongs to a Frenchman whose name escapes me). I go from project to project which creates a jack of all trades and master of none. If I live long enough I may develop a level of skill often seen in these forums (you folks know who you are)and maybe post an animation. 8)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hey all;

I live on the east coast of Canada. Love dogs (have 2 myself), 3D is my hobby. I'm no artist but I love to model 3D objects and scenes. I own Carrara 8 Pro, ViaCAD 6 Pro, Hexagon 2.5, and Paintshop Pro X3.

I just recently learned about 3D sculpting and find it fascinating and hope the learning curve isn't to much for a senile old fart like myself. The help and tutorials I've found to be extremely helpful so maybe I have a chance.

Below is something I modeled with ViaCAD and textured and rendered in Carrara.

Denis

post-2910-12787186691564_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

I am also from Portland, though a different 1 in Australia. I am pretty much a newb. when it comes to Art of all forms really, and have only sort of started with 3D art about 2 year ago or something like that, after becoming somewhat crippled by the dreaded arthritis and had to sit around for months on end. I am glad in a way, because I am really liking making stuff, modelling with SoftImage, Gimp, Photoshop and more recently sculpting and texturing also with 3DCoat.

3D is still a hobby for me also, but maybee, some day I would like to be able to go freelance when I become good enough. I have a trade as a profession amongst other things on the engineering side of things to make a living off of at the moment, to help support the family - 2 kids who don't mind a bit of a dabble with 3D also.

I love dogs too, and have a boof headed staffy who is great fun.

Well, nice meeting you.

• Contributor

Hi All,

My name is Greg and I've done too many different things in my life to list them all! lol

I live a little outside of Nashville, TN.

After a very long time in the military, I got a job as an airbrush artist for Big Dog Motorcycles in Wichita, KS. While there I began studying 3d and digital design. Since then I've worked as a digital design instructor, web/multimedia designer and most recently flash game programmer/designer. My primary interest through all of this has been in 3D, and think this is a great time for us, with fantastic programs like 3D Coat within financial reach of most people. I buy way too much software, and will probably never be able to retire! :D

I've got a great wife, a spoiled little Maltese dog, and life is good!

Nice to meet you all.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Colin, I'm 50yrs old & live in Melbourne, Australia.

I originally did my apprenticeship as a Jeweller then got into Tattooing & spent 20+yrs working as a Professional Tattoo Artist here in Melbourne, Australia.

Retired from Tattooing in the late 90's & retuned to being a Jeweller-Goldsmith, but also had to retire from this due to failing eyesight.

Without any real understanding of what's involve, I ventured into CAD/CAM for Jewellery & have been learning (trying) to do it for the past 6 years.

Prior to this I'd never used a computer before or even knew how to turn one ON.

I'm mainly using MoI & Rhino4 to create my jewellery models, which are obviously NURBS programs.

So my total experience with doing anything in 3D is mainly limited to just these 2 programs & using NURBS.

After some time I finally realised the type of jewellery work I'm doing is really more sculptured & organic based, which NURBS isn't suited to.

Bought 3D-Coat & now trying to learn how best to use it in conjunction with MoI & Rhino to create jewellery items to be milled in wax.

regards Colin

Hello every one, I'm Phil. I've always been into art and went to school for it for five and a half years before getting my degree from the Digital Animation & Visual Effects School (DAVE School) in Orlando, FL. Now I'm back home in the Philadelphia, PA area and have been doing freelance 3D work since 2003.

I work mostly in LightWave and Photoshop when not using 3DC, I'm proud to say I've worked on a number of TV ads and shows. You can also see some of my work in the zombie movie Dead Moon Rising.

I'm also an admin here on the forum and I've been using 3D-Coat almost since it first came out so if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

• Advanced Member

Hail Coaters, greetings from tropical Queensland, Australia.

I'm Robbie, a 38 yr old living in a house my gal and I just built near Brisbane City. My day job is health insurance and my hobby is 3D graphics.

When I was close to 18 I had a motorbike accident which paralysed my arm and resulted in chronic and phantom pain that affects me most of the time. I use my love of 3d and art for 'art therapy' as when I'm busy with a sculpt I might be lucky and forget the pain that is an unwelcome companion. (The arm was amputated some 18 years later)

I like to run a few websites based on Wordpress and dabble in a bit of print-on-demand digital direct-to-garment printing also. I experimented early on with 3dCoat to create rapid-prototype real 3d sculptures via Shapeways.com.

My websites are: (No intent to spam here, please contact me if object)

OnearmedGraphics.com - this site is mostly a portfolio and link to products I've made at Zazzle

AllergyWarningLabels.com - offers some solutions for parents of food-allergy sufferers.

Painblaster.info - Chronicles my 20yr journey of life with chronic pain and phantom pain [HOST CURRENTLY DOWN. GRRR]

DummiesGuidetoAdvertising.com - A simple site intended to offer a starting platform for self-advertisers. Still very new. [HOST CURRENTLY DOWN. GRRR]

I also have a small PG Pinups with digital renders offered as DTG products but of respect for Andrew I won't link here.

Many years ago I used an Amiga 1200 & Genlock to create real-estate videos & logos, I got to use a Silicon Graphics Indigo machine to cleanup night-footage of New Zealand Parrots attacking sheep at night by pecking at their kidneys! as well as creating a local-TV advert mimicing Terry Gilliams famous Monty Python animations. I applied for work at Weta Digital when it was founded and received a very nice rejection letter from the founders who told me to keep up the good work :)

I still remember 3DCoat when it had just switched from the 3DBrush tag.

I also want to take the opportunity to again pay respect to my online friend Brian who recently passed away. Brian was the 2nd purchaser of a 3dBrush licence and was over 70 at the time! If we can all be as cool as Brian in our old age the world would be a better place.

Regards,

Robbie

• Applink Developer

Hi!

My name is Kalle-Samuli Riihikoski and I'm from Ylöjärvi, Finland. I'm 28 years old. Right at moment I don't have a full time job but I'm doing

small 3d freelancer jobs. I interested in 3d started when I was 15. I was able to test my friends 3d max version back then. I was hooked.

Then I bought Animation:master. I Used that for 6 years. Then took a brake, tried something else in live and then came back into 3d. Bought

3d-coat and never looked back. I'm also using blender, vray and houdini. I listen movie soundtrack. Like to stay in fit. and my favourite color is: orange

:D

post-1165-12787575437784_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hello!

My name is Vern and I'm from Southern California..way south El Centro. I'm in the plastics design industry. My road to 3DC was a 4 year journey. Making the concept sell for what I do more realistic. My first experience into 3D was with the Amiga and Imagine.

Summers here and themperatures will be in the 100's until late October so I guess my external activities will be on hold so I'll spend more time learning this software!

• 3 weeks later...

Javis,

It was great to see you at SIGGRAPH, your a good ambassador for 3D Coat, great attitude. I will start checking out your videos.

Hey man, thanks!! It was good to meet you too, I really enjoy your work. Truly inspirational drawings. :)

I hope you find the videos useful!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ivan Flack, I'm 49 yrs old, married to Celine and we have 3 daughters (aged 18, 13 and 13) & we live in a rural area near Cookstown, N. Ireland.

I am a P/T Lecturer in the Local College and have a passion for 3D-Modelling software which I started learning some time ago.

It began with Max and I found it tough going for a while but now use Maya and things seem to have "dropped into place". I have also tried many other packages such as Modo, Lightwave, Cinema4D, ToonBoom...

I recently discovered 3D-Coat after using ZBrush for a tutorial and I was so impressed, I think that 3D-Coat knocks spots off it in all areas. I am hoping to get the College students using it as well as part of the Media/Animation/Design area.

I look forward to learning more from the experts here and hopefully making a few new friends!!!

See you around...

Ivan Flack (aka MIDIManNI)

I am hoping to get the College students using it as well as part of the Media/Animation/Design area.

I don't know if you knew it but 3DC is free for colleges and if they're taking a class with 3DC students get an extended trial version for the length of the class. That might help

Hi, My name is Chuck. I'm located in South Central Wisconsin, an hour west from Lake michigan. I've been married to the same wonderful woman for 36 years and have 3 grown children and 5 grandchildren. I'm currently a freelance artist, sculptor mostly, but have in the past illustrated for ad agencies and was a scientific illustrator for a USDA research lab. While working at the lab, I was introduced to the Amiga and some very neat little public domain 3D programs, then came Impulse's Imagine (first called Silver) and NewTek's Lightwave, and even beta tested Impulse's Organica organic modeler.... which in turn introduced me to the world of garage kits (independently sculpted and produced resin model kits). I've been sculpting kit prototypes now for more than a decade and have even sculpted a few commercially produced toy prototypes. I've also taught basic drawing and figure sculpting for a local technical college.

• Advanced Member

Hi, My name is Chuck. I'm located in South Central Wisconsin, an hour west from Lake michigan. I've been married to the same wonderful woman for 36 years and have 3 grown children and 5 grandchildren. I'm currently a freelance artist, sculptor mostly, but have in the past illustrated for ad agencies and was a scientific illustrator for a USDA research lab. While working at the lab, I was introduced to the Amiga and some very neat little public domain 3D programs, then came Impulse's Imagine (first called Silver) and NewTek's Lightwave, and even beta tested Impulse's Organica organic modeler.... which in turn introduced me to the world of garage kits (independently sculpted and produced resin model kits). I've been sculpting kit prototypes now for more than a decade and have even sculpted a few commercially produced toy prototypes. I've also taught basic drawing and figure sculpting for a local technical college.

Welcome to the forums. Great portfolio pieces!, I look forward to seeing what you pull out of 3D-Coat.

They're several Lightwave users here on the forum and you'll find that 3D-Coat works well with Lightwave (and Blender).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

My name is Roland Strålberg and I live in the north of Sweden.

I'm married and have 3 children (now grown up).

I work as a Software Developer ( C and C# ) at Microbit in Sweden,

mostly writing communication software.

I have been pondering around 3D Game development for years without actually have created anything other than some

simple samples and some code for others. So now I have pulled my self together and have started a bit more serious

development of a game called CELLS. The goal is to get this out as a free game with some additional features as

low-price shareware within 3 years.

As being a professional software developer I have not problem with the coding parts of such a game. I'm using

Unity 3D Pro as game engine. Back in the old days (when mud was invented) as school I had good art talents and

painted some in oil and airbrush, but have not done any art work since then. So my first thing in the long list

of ToDo's is training up my art skills and also how to implement them in 3D Tools.

I have both ZBrush and 3DCoat and find them good in different ways, but when coming to do actual game models I

think 3DCoat is the best tool for me. Its simple to use and works very well for this kind of work, and I just

love Voxels.

Together with Cinema 4D I have found that 3DCoat works very well for creating Unity assets. I have tested various

tools and found that this combination is the right thing for me.

As I'm doing everything my self, I also have to be a musician. But that is no great problem as I during many years

in my youth play guitar is different rock bands and also have some knowledge about recording. For that part I'm using

FL-Studio which fulfills my needs.

If you check my age you will find that I'm almost an old man. Thats no problem for me and should not be for anyone

trying to have some fun with interesting things.

My webpage where I'm publishing some notes on what I'm doing is at My Blog

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi all,

just bought 3DCoat this morning, I'm happy to use this intriguing application, hoping to learn fast as I can its voxel philosophy.

Actually I'm freelancer with various past experiences from websites to desktop publishing to architectural visualization.

I've used a bit of every 3d application because clients had them, but now I'm using Blender, Gimp, ZBrush, Inkscape, Houdini (for working purpose) and now 3DCoat! :)

Here's my first sculpting portfolio made in Blender:

(sorry no music... :/)

I hope to have all the needed support from the community for my first steps with 3DCoat.

Thanks again and now going back to 3DCoat!

Michael

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi thinkinmonkey and welcome!

I just love that flying thing in your reel. Very creative stuff. And it's nice to hear that more houdini users are using 3d-coat too.

I'm excited to see more those bugs :)

Hi haikalle,

thanks! :)

I hope to use as soon as possible 3DC to explore new way of sculpting thanks to its voxel feature: I'm reading the quickstart guide and it seems powerful and I'm still reading the painting chapters! :D

3DC is too cool!!!

For Houdini, I have to tell you I'm moving first steps, my wish is to use it to animate bugs and mosters...

Anyway, this is a project I'm working on when I'm free: http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/10628-container-project/

Have a nice day with 3DC!

• Advanced Member

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to 3d-coat and 3d modeling/sculpting in general. I've been working in the industry for a couple of years as a character/creature designer. For the longest time I had no real interest in learning 3D, but lately over the past several months I've been really interested in learning how to model and texture. So obviously I started looking for programs to try. I started with Zbrush, Mudbox and Blender, but none of them really spoke to me. Then someone recommended Sculptris which was awesome. The only thing is, it would crash very often and at the time I was running Linux so it wasn't a real option.

Later on one of the modelers at work recommended I try out 3d-coat. He had never used it, but he had heard good things. Anyways I figured I'd check it out because by that point I was trying Curvy 3D, Silo and Modo, still looking for something that made sense to me.

Long story short, I downloaded the demo and tried out the voxel sculpting and that was that. I was sold. I began considering whether or not this was the program I was going to purchase and run with. The more I used it the more I liked it. It is by far, the most intuitive program for 3d sculpting that I've used. At that point when I was poking around on the website, I found the 'Our Voice' page. I read it and I got up out of my seat and began to praise God! I was overjoyed. I too went through a similar experience as Andrew and have had some of the same reservations in terms of the projects I work on and the stories I tell. So I could understand their mission and concerns completely. We are called to be Christians firsts and artists, programmers, designers - second. At the point of reading that, I bought the program immediately. And set out to master it.

God has definitely put it in me to use this program to bring my characters to life. I'll keep working hard at it so I can start sharing some really cool models with you guys. I've also got some ideas on how to make the sculpting and modeling tools in 3d-coat top notch, which I will also be sharing.

Please check out my website www.customcharacterdesigns.com to see some of my digital paintings and character designs. And my company which I started here in Toronto

www.full0.com

Anyways, just wanted to jump in and share my story. Hopefully I can be of assistance in the Pilgway cause.

God bless,

Gavin

Hello,

My name is Ron. I just took the plunge and purchased 3D Coat for both the Mac (hackintosh) and PC. I have been doing some form or graphic art/animation since the days of the Amiga. CG is my pasion, however I got stuck doing IT Tech work for a living. Ha!

I mainly work in Maya and a little with ZBrush 4. I find that 3D Coat is a lot easier to get my idea out of my mind and actually on the screen.

Well, sorry to bore you all. (Man it's hard typing with my phone while laying down). I guess that's what I get for being lazy.

Bye...

Hello everyone! :)

I'm an oil painter living in Washington state (www.scotthagel.com) and totally new to 3D CG. Not sure what possessed me to dive into this but here I am. I have Poser8 and a few other odd programs but when I tried the demo of 3D Coat, I was hooked. I plan on illustrating in 3D a graphic novel I've been working on for a number of years and hope to be able to produce as much of the content myself as possible. I definitely have a lot to learn but this will be a good thing I believe.

See you on the forums!

Scott & Ron:

Great to have you here with us. Lots of artists are beginning to realize that this is the future of 3D modeling and sculpting and texturing - all working together in one spot - giving you the fastest workflow available anywhere, at the moment. I'm sure you'll enjoy the process a lot more than many of us have, using other more frustrating, overly complex and much slower means of doing these things.

Have fun.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm Ricky from Yorkshire in England. I'm a project developer working for a medium size Sheffield based company. I'm responsible for all marketing from design to print. 2D I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and InDesign. For 3D I use Lightwave for my 3D models, which includes a full set of cgi characters for an interactive children's application. For texturing i've used just LW and PLG UV plugins (and photoshop).

I'm looking forward to expanding my skill set, using 3d Coat for all texturing. I would also like to start using 3D Coat for organic scuplting.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Hey everyone,

I'm Rich Darby-Jones, the same richdj to those on spinquad and newtek forums. I've been doing 3D at a 'bobby' level for the last 7 years (or there abouts). I've done a few tutorials for LW and I'm a moderator | Challenge Team Leader on spinquad. I'm just getting to know 3DC and can say were getting on well.

I know I'll have loads of questions, so prepare for stupid and semi-stupid questions along the way..

Rich