3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

• Advanced Member

Ricky,

I've been mighty impressed just the last 4 weeks I've been using and learning 3Dcoat.It has way exceeded my expectations to be honest,it is a joy to use.

It would be great to finally get my hands on LW10 - I registered my upgrade and hardcore membership yesterday,unfortunately I am unable to download LWCORE from their ftp link for some reason.

It cuts out halfway through down loading and gives the message 'operation timed out'. I've tried disabling antivirus,firewall,etc,as suggested by customer support but to no avail.I'm starting to feel a bit frustrated now :(

edit:finally downloaded Lightwave 10 and lovin' it! :)

• Advanced Member

Evening Sandro,

I've just downloaded the latest build and it was very slow. Could be a lot of people downloading it all at once. I also have to say that it's never been a fast download from the newtek site anyway.

Keep trying.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Fons van Stijn and I live in Holland. I am using Blender to develop my 3D design capabilities. I am a graphic designer. I feel that 3d designing is becoming more and more important to me and the company I work for. Software like Blender and now 3dCoat give me the pleasure of exploring new terrain and developing myself. I made 'the Pig attachment' with 3dCoat as a first attempt in my trial period of 30 days (I hope you can see it and no it is not a self portrait). The result of this first attempt is why my expectations of 3dCoat are so high and why I hope to really master the software.

I hope to learn a lot from who ever is out there...

Regards,

Fons

post-4503-12923548717822_thumb.jpg

Welcome Fons, that's a pretty awesome sculpture.

Thanks Phil. I visited your website and watched your video, seems like you are in the 3d business for quite some time... I'm a bit jealous to be honest... Great work!

I can't wait to get my 3D-pig into Blender the right way. The renders I made with 3dCoat look so much nicer compared to Blender renders, so I must be doing something not quite right. But I want to make this pig sing and play guitar.... so in Blender he will go. I guess I just have to study and work hard in my spare time....

Nice to 'meet' you.

Regards, Fons

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks Phil. I visited your website and watched your video, seems like you are in the 3d business for quite some time... I'm a bit jealous to be honest... Great work!

I can't wait to get my 3D-pig into Blender the right way. The renders I made with 3dCoat look so much nicer compared to Blender renders, so I must be doing something not quite right. But I want to make this pig sing and play guitar.... so in Blender he will go. I guess I just have to study and work hard in my spare time....

Nice to 'meet' you.

Regards, Fons

I think the lighting in 3D Coat's render is more like Sunlight/Daylight lighting in programs like Blender, 3ds Max, Maya, Lightwave, C4D, etc. It's easier to get decent results with it. For Graphic Design projects, you could do a lot of your rendering in 3D Coat and tweak the result in Photoshop, thereafter.

I think the lighting in 3D Coat's render is more like Sunlight/Daylight lighting in programs like Blender, 3ds Max, Maya, Lightwave, C4D, etc. It's easier to get decent results with it. For Graphic Design projects, you could do a lot of your rendering in 3D Coat and tweak the result in Photoshop, thereafter.

Hi AbnRanger, I agree Photoshop or After Effects will do the renders good, but I think I don't get the displacement and bumpmaps transported exactly right to Blender. Tomorrow I have spare time to spent on this and the lighting in Blender (just to get a fair comparison). I will post the results (when they are good enough). I hope you will have a look at them and give me some comment. I am new to active participating a forum so I am not sure if I should start a new topic or continue here.... Maybe you can help.

Thanks and regards,

Fons

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am pretty new to 3d coat but enjoying it so far. I am a film editor by trade and I find that 3d is a bit of a hobby more than anything else. I have done quite a few 2d Vfx jobs in the past and can see how some of the features in this app could be very useful. I bought the program mainly because the voxel sculpting seems to be the closest thing to working with clay on a computer I have found. Looking forward to a C4d link soon.

Happy new year!

Hi,

I'm Jean-Maurice (aka Adivaki), french (Paris). I'm a freelance illustrator and pretty new with 3DC (and 3D in general) as I bought it last week.

I was very interested about its intuitive sculpting abilities (among others). I use Blender and Vue 8 complete too.

I'd like to master 3DC especially texturing asap.

I hope you'll fulfill all your wishes soon with 3DC and beyond.

Jean

www.jeanmauricedamour.co.uk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new 3d-coat user. My main app is Lightwave. I've had my eye on 3dc for a long time. I finally made the logical choice to buy in.

Looks like i've come at an excellent time. All the new development is really inspiring. Anyway. Glad to be here. Took a break from the manual to say hello.

Hope to learn from all the great artist here, and hopefully contribute in the future as well.

LorenzoS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Mike White (3dementia). I am a 3d generalist, and graphic designer currently employed in the industry. I specialize in motion graphics for educational videos and logo design, but recently landed a full time gig as a character designer and animator (again for educational purposes, specifically financial education). I have used all of the 3d apps, but settled on Blender as my preffered choice, it's really the best fit for a small studio, IMO. As far as sculpting, I use blender's sculpt tools quite often, and I have created some decent stuff with sculptris. But I have always textured in Photoshop, and I am looking for other methods that are more hands on. I also am hoping to increase my sculpting skills, the freedom that voxels offer is very tempting. So I have an edu license of 3D-Coat for now, after I gain some skill and can show some results, maybe I can talk my company into springing for some licenses for the designers and start using it in my day to day workflow. But for now I am having fun learning and playing.

Hey all, welcome aboard! I hope you are finding 3D-Coat useful. :drinks:

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask on the forums. If you have any content under NDA don't hesitate to email it directly to Andrew or myself that you need us to take a look at.

3dcoat =AT= javisjones =DOT= com

support =at= 3d-coat =DOT= com

• Advanced Member

Hi,

My name is Peter Bowmar, I'm Head of 3D and Technology for CIS Vancouver, a film-oriented Visual Effects company.

I use 3DC at home personally, in conjunction with Houdini, on Linux mostly and Windows on my laptop. We're just starting to use it at work with Maya and Houdini, Zbrush, Mudbox etc. We're mostly Linux with some OSX, so 3DCoat was a welcome addition to the Linux apps list!

I'm not much of an artist myself, more of a techy, but still love playing with it for fun. The "real" artists at work are the ones to watch, once movies we've worked on with 3DC usage have been released and I'm allowed to talk abou them, I'll try to post some "3DC was used on..." type things here :)

Cheers,

Peter B

• Advanced Member

Hi Greg,

Thanks! I'm glad we're able to use it, and I have to say Andrew's responsiveness to requests for larger studio's needs is greatly appreciated. Floating licenses, being able to configure user data via environment variables and just running on Linux all contribute to 3DC being a more "pro" app.

Brands X and Y will always be around, just as in 3D there is Maya and 3DSMax plus Houdini, XSI, Lightwave etc. Diversity is good :) Every app offers something valuable, those that don't, don't exist anymore :)

Cheers,

Peter B

Welcome, Peter:

It's always good to know that 3D-Coat is being used in professional environments. Now, if we could only eliminate your need for "Brands X & Y", we'd be even happier.

We anxiously await your "testimonials".

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

That's my youngest, 2 1/2, my eldest is 8 and very much interested in physical art rather than computers. My youngest loves painting with the Wacom in The Gimp :) We'll see how they turn out!

So, is that one of your young artists there in your avatar? :) Andrew already has his young'en getting started. He'll be a programming dynamo by the time he's ready to get his driver's license

• Advanced Member

Hi Peter,

Welcome aboard. Can't wait to hear about your 3DC workflow, from a professional studio perspective.

Gimp 2 is also a preferred choice in our house amongst the youngest members.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Hi Ricky,

Happy to share, once we work it out :)

I use the Gimp all the time, in fact last night wrote my first Python plugin for Python-Fu (Scheme is a horrible, horrible language IMO) which worked very well.

Problem is, it's only 8bit :( Krita is the new one to watch IMO, unless Gimp speeds up its move to full float processing.

Cheers,

PeteR B

Hello,

My name is Carl I am a Graphic Designer, I do 3D strictly as a hobby. I've dabbled in 3D since Lightwave 5.0 days, but have really only become serious about modeling, texture and animation within the last few months. My goal is simply to get better and to push myself for the fun of it.

• Reputable Contributor

Hello,

My name is Carl I am a Graphic Designer, I do 3D strictly as a hobby. I've dabbled in 3D since Lightwave 5.0 days, but have really only become serious about modeling, texture and animation within the last few months. My goal is simply to get better and to push myself for the fun of it.

Hi Carl. You likely find ways to incorporate 3D into plenty of your future designs. It really opens up the possibilities. There are a lot of Graphic artists out there who couldn't be bothered with taking on the added learning curve, so I think it can help give you a bit of an edge when competing for the same job/bid. You'd be surprised how fast you can get something relatively intricate done, just using the "Logo" tool. Just using an image with black and white (same principal as working with masks in PS), you can take an ornate design, or techno, etc...and in 2 clicks (one on the Logo tool, the second find the image in the browser) have a 3D version of it. You can then modify it if you wish, apply a shader to it in the Voxel Room and render it out (with alpha channels applied when you output to PNG Tiff or Targa) in the Render Room.

Trying to do the same thing in 3ds Max or Maya would take considerably more time and effort. Now that you've stepped into the world of 3D, I think you'll be hooked. :D