3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Hi,

I thought I would Introduce myself. My name is Milo. I used to work for Westwood Studio/Electronic arts. I did programming on videos games for SNES and others, I went on to become the Internet Services Manager. I did some ‘physical’ painting with Acrylics and the Airbrush in the past. I Developed MS and decided to try my hand at Digital Art. I have been dabbling in 3d here and there for a long time, but didn’t really ‘do’ anything in it. I got into DazStudio and then Carrara. I wanted to be able to Model characters for some Idea’s that are floating in my head. I recently joined the Band Wagon on Messiah Studio and picked up 3d-coat to see if I could bring what was in my head to something that was usable.

My Daughter is the real artist and when I am not on the computer I am hoping she takes the bite. She was excited watching the Videos from the website. She wants to be in the film industry, writing, directing, but with her talent in art it might be that direction. This has opened her eyes.

I am just starting to work on the Mouse Video but the User manual I need to sit with more as I didn’t get a clear sense of start here. Which of course is probably because 3d-coat can go so many different directions. I will go sit in the noob corner now :)

I am not normally this wordy LOL

Hi Peter and Milo!! Welcome aboard guys. :)

Peter, Looks like Chris (taros) added the proper Linux stuff for Mantis. :)

Milo, you folks at Westwood made some of my favorite games! I still love the SNES era of gaming, one of the best ever...

Hello everyone cool forum and awsome program you have going on here. In a way im old school lots of traditional animation and hand drawing, last couple of years I started using blender and when i found 3d Coat i decided I actually like computers:)looking foreward to learning and sharing.

Just thought I introduce myself as well.

Hi everyone. I'm Dennis Nikolaidis

I came here cause 3D Coat seems to be a great addition to my toolset and will prove itself to be extremely useful on an upcoming project of mine that requires a lot of retopology work.

But I'm sure I'll be using every single tool it has as I can tell there is a lot of intuition user friendliness behind its tools and I greatly support that.

But anyway. A few words about me. I'm a 3D Animator working professionally since 97. Started my own company Animusing Productions 3 years ago, and still have big plans for it. Big plans like Making feature films one day. All in due time...

I like modeling characters a lot. I find it very relaxing. I also love Character Animation for which I found to have a talent for, but haven't perfected to a level of being hired at Pixar. Again all in due time!

I also like scripting. Lately I got some projects that nudged me to get into Mel and expressions in Maya which is another great creativity outlet for me, plus helps exercising that rotting brain of mine.

Anyway... As long as the creative juices keep flowing, I'll be a 3D artist - animator. Maybe one day I'll do something that will worth all this trouble. Who knows!

Again nice to meet you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm Christine. Girls can play too, right? :)

I work with words all day, so evenings are for some visual fun. I have ideas for some educational games, so I'm very gradually acquiring the skills to work some of them out. I'm really impressed by the tutorial videos for 3DC, and I'm gradually working my way through them. (So far, I have half of a rather sad looking rat).

• Reputable Contributor

Welcome aboard, Dennis and Christine. :drinks: Yeah, I've been a long time 3ds Max user, but have found starting from scratch in voxels allows me to model just about anything I want and in a very forgiving, artistic fashion. From there, you can zip through the retopology process in a snap with the Auto-Retopology (Autopo) feature. It's not the perfect solution for everything, but it is quite good for just about anything that will not have animated deformations...it's great for static things like environment objects, helmets, armor, props, etc. For an animated Character, I personally would opt to do the work manually, as the Retopo toolset is still very fast compared to many other applications or plugins. The reason is, naturally, that you want total control of your polygonal layout and edgeflow. Autopo just meets the artist somewhere in the middle...which, again, is perfectly fine for many objects.

The reason I mention this is because you may waste a lot of time trying to get a perfect result (repeated attempts and cleanup afterwards), using Autopo on a Character, when you finally realize it would have actually taken you less time to do the job manually.

I just posted a quick walkthrough (time lapse) of a character sculpt (Elmer Fudd). It should give you some ideas...

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7818

Hello everyone my name is Glenn. I'm 28 years old and I live in a small place called Meulebeke, Belgium. Normally I am a (web)developer but because of health problems I temporary needed to stop working. Because of that I have a lot of free time.

I see myself still as quite new to the 3D World. I had some minor experiences with 3D packages as a teen 10 years ago, but that was the typical "hello world" stuff. As like by many it stopped after a couple of months.

+/- A year ago I discovered Sculptris which opened a whole new world for me and it motivated me enough to go trough with it and even discovering other packages. And 3D-Coat is one of them. The things I like the most are the autoretopo tools, the curves tools (for creating base meshes), sculpting and the fact that you have hired farsthary to work on live clay ;-) As a Blender user I am quite familiar with his work. I really hope that the development goes the way that 3D-coat can replace Sculptris.

I really love Sculptris but when Pixologic bought it development completely halted. And even if the tech is incorporated in Zbrush, I couldn't afford it. I am glad that pilgrim software has a very logical view of having a cheaper version of their software for hobbyists that I can afford :-)

I have a little blog where I have posted my work so far -> http://3dblog.simplicity.be/

• 3 weeks later...

HI folks, I'm Graham obviously, I"m in deroche bc Canada, I am using the trial at the moment but plan on buying as it's not too expensive. What I will be using it for is for my cnc router work, just noticed the 2d brush and relief thing, this would come in very handy for my type of work,at the moment I use silo, scluptris and have blender 2.5 but that's way over my head right now, And sculptris doesn't have the tools 3dc has. I was also planing to go to 3d modeling school but 40 grand to pay back is too much at my age of 46, so I'll just learn from the net and buy a few training dvd as I go.

Wondering if any one could direct me too any of the 2d and relief tutorials? Sorry for the long post but I noticed in the gallery there is a elk and a few other models, is there a short tut on doing those type of models? again sorry for the long post, off to play with 3dc. Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings fellows, I'm Brandon Ayers, thedaemon as I call myself online. I've been doing 3d in general as a hobby since 1999 or so. I started with Blender and Wings 3d, went to college and learned 3ds max among other type of software. After that I joined animation mentor but I couldn't afford to finish the last 2 classes. I've never applied for any cg work so I still consider myself an amateur. I'm currently working on a short film that I hope will entertain and make my audience feel. I'm new to this software but I'm always glad to help a fellow artist. My current software usage is Wings 3d, Messiah:Studio, Blender, and soon 3d-coat.

Welcome every one. :) Glad to see more folks jumping into the waters. :)

Brandon, I recognize your moniker from Setuptab! Glad to see more cross pollination! messiah and 3DC go together very nicely (and Wings too).

Hey, yeah I've been using "thedaemon" forever! hehe Yeah, I saw all your preaching on SetupTab, it's why I seriously considered 3d-Coat and subsequently purchased it. It's uv tools/ability to create morphs is helping me a bunch on my short film project. I think I may use 3d-coat for all of my background objects/scenery as well. Rapid prototyping and a nice retopo tool will go along way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

My name is Jukka-Pekka and live in Finland. I've watched this forum for a while, but since I have not been active my last registration was removed. Since I do not want it to happen again, this is my first message to the forum ;D

As a day job I work with the infrastructure of bridges. Mainly involved in technical drawings, but I also do illustrations. In my job I mainly fiddle around with Autocad, 3D Studio Max and Photoshop. After hours I make "softer" models with 3D-Coat, ZBrush, Vue Infinite, SketchUp, Moi3D and Photoshop (to name few apps). Almost all my free time is spent with 3d modeling and trying to learn it as much as I possibly can.

• Applink Developer

Tervetuloa! (means 'welcome' in finnish)

Glad to see more us here. I hope you feel like home here. I wouldn't think better time to start using 3d-coat when LiveClay is

almost here. I can almost taste it already... :)

Tervetuloa! (means 'welcome' in finnish)

Glad to see more us here. I hope you feel like home here. I wouldn't think better time to start using 3d-coat when LiveClay is

almost here. I can almost taste it already... :)

Kiitos, kiitos, kiitos... =D ('Thank You, Thank You, Thank You' in Finnish - Funny language or what?!)

I have been following/using 3D-Coat since 2008 and growth has been amazing. LiveClay will be one of the best additions ever. Just 3d-mouse, Wacom tablet, 3D-Coat... and time to play! It's worth waiting for.

Hi all,

I am Brian From Buffalo New York,I am a fulltime Musician but used to be a airbrush artist for 8 years.i currently draw on the computer for fun.i use programs like Cararra pro,bryce7,Scupltris,Poser 7 and now 3d coat. I love this program so far and it is very useful for alot of things.I love Fantasy art Mainly and do alot of fantasy type pictures. Currently I am trying to learn all the ins and outs of the program befor i post anything I have done but working on some fun pictures.

Promethias

• Advanced Member

Hi all. I'm Mark Whittemore ... using handle of ggaliens for about 13 years now. Been doing 3D graphics since BattleZone and PC-Man were new arcade games. I started very young playing with Vector graphics and learning the required mathematics. Apple I and Apple II were my first graphics machines. HPLOT did all the work.

I'm mostly a 3DHobbiest, but spend a lot of time writing odd plug-ins for Wings3D.

I'm a huge fan of mathematical & procedural methods for texturing and surface deforming.

Nice to meet you all.

Hi all,

Hello Guys!

I am Rodrigo From Rio de Janeiro - Brazil,I am a fulltime Digital Electronic Technician but used to be a magazine`s graphic designer for over 5 years. I currently code in the computer for the iOS and Mac as I am Apple developers member of both systems. I use programs like Photoshop, CorelDraw, Scupltris, ArtRage, etc. I am looking for a 3D software for a couple of weeks, regarding its power of creation and at the same time and maybe more important than, for the easy way to use that. I`ve downloaded the 3d-Coat soft and I`ve downloaded also all the video tutorials (that first one - getting started - about the RAT CARTOON) and I can say I am almost falling in love on 3D-COAT! BUT (why there is always a BUT for everything?!) am very nervous now because I am following the video tutorial about the sculpt of the RAT cartton and the guys speaks and does use the MOVE TOOL (and I aleady learned that its a very important tool) specifically when him uses the MOVE TOOL to sculpt the mouth of the rat, but is there I am getting in trouble!!! I think because I am a Mac user (I am on a MacBook Pro 13" i5 core Intel based) and so there is no "mouse" instead a trackpad as you all already know sure...so I think the problem is the Mac because there is not a Middle mouse button and even a right button (ok, it does have, but its built-in together the left side button and so it is impossible to press both at the same time running each one there proper functions! Like this I am trying to find a way to change the AXIS? of the MOVE TOOL cursor! Only this and I am unable to do it! On the video tutorial the guy says something about press CTRL key to change its AXIS angle (like X, Y, Z) but honestly I am feeling very bad for sure cause I`ve already looked at the EDIT-->PREFERENCES and I cannot see anything there that says or help with this issue that I am having to change the ANGLE, AXIS of the MOVE TOOL when sculpting the MOUTH of the RAT!! To resume - I want to change basically the angle of the MOVE TOOL from the standard 180 degrees for 90 degrees!! Can someone HELP ME??? I think I am a donk right now. :(

Thank you so much in advance for ANY HELP regarding a MAC USER.

P.S.: Sorry about my English Skills as I am a Portuguese Native speaker. :drinks:

Regards,

Rodrigo - BRCosta.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Dave Nugent and I am a pattern maker, as my user name suggests. I make designs and models and molds and such for using in both sand and lost-wax foundries. Much of the work I do is decorative- for the architectural hardware industry. I'm kind of an old guy, so I started this occupation using all hand methods, like carving wood, modeling clay. Gradually started adding digital methods as they became mainstream. Now, most of what I do I design with Rhino3D and machine by CNC. I played with the Sensable system some years ago, but the price was too much for a one-man operation. 3D Coat looks like it will get the same results, though I still haven't figured out how to deal with keeping objects on multiple layers scaled the same and in the position they were originally designed in when I import them. I think the feel of sculpting with a Wacom tablet VS using a haptic device is not different enough to justify the price difference. Most sculpting seems to be visual rather than tactile. I do think that the fact 3D Coat allows use of 3D Connexion devices makes all the difference in how usable the program is. Well done!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello everyone, 3Dcoat is a very great program that is making great strides and I hope to grow more and better.

Voxels have the best of modelling freedom, polygon not yet .... and now that finally was born liveclay will be a revolution in the entire 3d modeling field :)

sorry for english...I'm writing from Italy

Hello! I've been lurking here for awhile, but just now noticed this thread so here it goes... :)

I'm Santtu Huotilainen from Helsinki, Finland. I work as an Art Director at Frozenbyte developing games for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC/Mac. We are currently working on

I first started dabbling in digital graphics with Commodore 64 and Koala Painter, then later moved to Amiga and Deluxe Paint. In mid-90's I interested in 3D, first with Imagine and Real 3D, and soon after switched to LightWave, which I still use. After working some time in web/mobile and video fields I entered game industry in 2004 as an artist/animator in Frozenbyte's Shadowgrounds.

As an artist I'm a generalist. Whenever at work I have time to actually do some content myself, I might be found doing modeling/sculpting/texturing/rigging/animating/videos/particle effects - whatever is needed. Jack of all trades - master of none, so to speak. :D

I've been using 3D Coat as an additional tool for a couple of years. First almost solely for retopology (which is awesome, especially with AUTOPO), lately also more and more with actual sculpting.

Cheers,

Santtu.