3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

• Reputable Contributor

Welcome :D

In the Preference Menu enable show beta tools.

The LiveClay brushes will now show up in Surface Mode.

Download the newest beta if you so desire.

http://3d-coat.com/f...topic=8887&st=0

You can switch between a Icon base or text base interface by clicking the (T) in the upper left part of the interface in the newest beta...

Hi all,

I work for AIE in Canberra, Australia, teaching game development. I have also worked in simulation industry and I am currently developing content for independent game ventures.

I am amazed by 3D coat; I think that it is the best thing since sliced bread!

I will be posting some of my game models on the forums soon.

Hi

From Canada Alberta here. Just bought pro verison of 3d coat and so far enjoying it a lot.

Im into digitizing objects for machining on cncs. Im finding the merge voxel tool great for tweaking scanned data and also loving the auto topo! I'm also interested in learning modeling and uv mapping on the side for game dev. The automatic uv seams are great for a beginner like me.

Thought id post so i can have access to my forum settings, and also, I have a quick question.

I enabled the beta tools in prefrences but im not seeing any extra tools in the voxel room, where do i look to see these?

Thanks, and looking forward to learning 3d coat! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

New user of 3D-Coat from Stockholm, Sweden. My name is Mattias Lindberg and I'm a motion designer working freelance with the name Fake Pilot.

This is my reel:

Now using tools like Houdini, Cinema 4D, Zbrush and now 3D-Coat.

Also recently purchased a Microsoft Kinect for motion capturing and point clouds.

Hello, had 3d coat pro since Christmas and really enjoy playing around in it. Want to start using it in 'proper' projects and figured I'll be needing the ocacsional bit of help, so here I am.

Couple of quick questions:

1. I know 3d coat supports multiple UV sets, but it seems any given face can only belong to a single set. Is it possible for the entire mesh to have 2 or more UV sets?

2. Is there a particular part or parts of the forum for asking questions on how to do stuff? Most subforums seem to relate to development matters.

• Reputable Contributor

Hello, had 3d coat pro since Christmas and really enjoy playing around in it. Want to start using it in 'proper' projects and figured I'll be needing the ocacsional bit of help, so here I am.

Couple of quick questions:

1. I know 3d coat supports multiple UV sets, but it seems any given face can only belong to a single set. Is it possible for the entire mesh to have 2 or more UV sets?

2. Is there a particular part or parts of the forum for asking questions on how to do stuff? Most subforums seem to relate to development matters.

Hi there, Monsieur Trousers :D To answer your questions

1) I don't know of any application that will allow you to assign a polygon to two different UV maps/tiles/sets simultaneously. Don't know of any car manufacturers that allow you to drive 2 cars at the same time either....but that's neither here nor there. :) You can assign different parts of a mesh to a different UV set, and have as many as you like.

2) "How to" Questions are normally addressed either here or in the "3D Coat" category of the forum. Here is a video that covers addressing "How to" questions and reporting problems with the software (bugs/issues)

Hello AbnRanger, thanks for the response - though I'm a little confused on the /uv part...

Most 3d applications I've used support multi UVs. A common use for this (and my current interest in it) is lightmapping. Other uses might include detail maps, or animated material effects. I don't need to work on both maps at once, but would like access to them, and moreso, would like 3d coat to maintain them on import/export of file formats that support the feature - such as fbx.

Ah well, there are always workarounds :)

About the forum, I feel it might be worth relating a little of my experience signing up.

After I made my first post, the answer to my question about where to ask questions became fairly obvious - here in the new users section, but when I came back Today to check for responses, I coudn't find the thread. It took me a while to figure out, its only visible if you're signed up and signed in. I can say for sure, I would have joined much sooner if this part of the forum where publicly visible. Also, a minor point, but do the veterans find it odd to post in 'New Users' on the occasions they need to ask questions?

• Reputable Contributor

Hello AbnRanger, thanks for the response - though I'm a little confused on the /uv part...

Most 3d applications I've used support multi UVs. A common use for this (and my current interest in it) is lightmapping. Other uses might include detail maps, or animated material effects. I don't need to work on both maps at once, but would like access to them, and moreso, would like 3d coat to maintain them on import/export of file formats that support the feature - such as fbx.

Ah well, there are always workarounds :)

About the forum, I feel it might be worth relating a little of my experience signing up.

After I made my first post, the answer to my question about where to ask questions became fairly obvious - here in the new users section, but when I came back Today to check for responses, I coudn't find the thread. It took me a while to figure out, its only visible if you're signed up and signed in. I can say for sure, I would have joined much sooner if this part of the forum where publicly visible. Also, a minor point, but do the veterans find it odd to post in 'New Users' on the occasions they need to ask questions?

As you can see in the video, you have multi-uv's. I've never seen the same polygon(s) on a mesh assigned to more than one UV map at a time...not in 3ds Max, Maya, Lightwave or Mudbox.

Do you have a link to a video demonstrating this capability?

As for the regular forum members asking questions; it's usually in the "3D Coat" topic/category.

Here's an example in Maya - the first 12 minutes or so should demonstrate the idea well enough, after that it gets very maya-centric and a bit less relevant.

At the moment its not that I necessariy need to work on the different sets in 3dCoat, but when passing models through it - to adjust a texture for example, it would be convienient if 3dCoat could maintain and re-export existing sets. If it isn't possible that's OK - I feel I should contribute something useful before whining about features. :)

• Advanced Member

By the way in video game it's used a lot.

For instance when you want to have symmetrical color and spec to gain resolution,you just have to create an UV set where your overlap left and right part,

while for normal map you provide a none overlapped UV.

I thought 3D Coat did it(since it's call UV set).So now i see even less reasons to don't have a proper full UV tiles management like all the others packages.

Especially like Mari with the resolution modification per tile which is very handy .

@ carlosa - Its not quite the same thing. UVTiles are not to my knowledge widely supported in real time engines currently, nor do I suspect are they likely to be as they seems to use the space outside the 0-1 range to store the extra sets (I don't know this for sure, please correct me if I'm wrong), while as shown in the maya video, access to this extended range is often useful for tiling(the oldmeaning of repeating a texture), so each set needs to be isolated in its own channel or layer. UVTiling also becomes harder to manage if multiple ojects need to share a uv space, such as with a lightmap. Regardless, for my own ends its not supported in dcc apps (aside from 3d coat) or the real-time engines I currently use.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone does have a package supporting uvTiles, do you know if they support multiple UVs per vertex/face, as the 3dc video above appears to use each tile for different geometry - which 3dc definately already supports in its uv sets system. (...and the circle is complete :) )

• Reputable Contributor

"Support multiple UVs per vertex/face", You can have this in 3DCoat. You have to do a little setting up in the retopo room but it is not hard...

The picture shows a AO uv set and a Diffuse uv set I created. They both share the same mesh with identical but separate uv sets so they share the same faces/vertices.

Each UV set can be exported separately also.

I do not work in the industry but tried to understand what is needed and if I can figure it out for 3DCoat I work at it...

The uvs are just for show, nothing is done to them yet... If this what you are looking for maybe I can do a video.

EDIT:

The picture is from the retopo room right before I merged into the paint room showing the two uv sets I created sharing the same faces/vertices...

Again forgive the uv set as I'm just showing that it can be done...

This is something I had to figure out so if it works in all cases or meets all your needs, I would not know... I also might not understand entirely what you are asking for and the above is something, well at least I know how to make multiple uvs set per face/ vertex... :wacko:

post-518-0-18659900-1345994721_thumb.png

post-518-0-14667100-1345996156_thumb.jpe

"Support multiple UVs per vertex/face", You can have this in 3DCoat. You have to do a little setting up in the retopo room but it is not hard...

Can you elaborate a little please? Do you mean via uvTiling, uv sets, or both? What is the workflow?

I just tried to import an fbx with 2 uv sets, but while both sets are listed in the import dialogue, and selectable in the rooms, only one of the sets contains a uv map, the other is completely empty. I know both sets are intact in the original file though because if I open it in the ultimate unwrap 3d demo, both sets are present and correct. Using 3dc 3.7.13 - perhaps I need a newer version?

• Reputable Contributor

My workflow was through retopo room / creating the uv sets / merging into the paintroom.

How are you importing your mesh, into the paint room, into the retopo room.

Remember this something I'm working out as I go. (for some reason I like figuring out problems) I been using 3DCoat for about 5 years so I know a few tricks and aware of some things you can do with it that a new user might be unaware of.

Creating only Uv sets, no tiling...

The fbx problem, since I don't have access to it, I can not really tell what is happening with it... I will test one of my fbx files...

Edit: I exported the ball mesh with the uv sets as a fbx. Opened a new scene in 3DCoat. Imported the Fbx file and both uv sets were correctly imported.

• Advanced Member

@ carlosa - Its not quite the same thing. UVTiles are not to my knowledge widely supported in real time engines currently, nor do I suspect are they likely to be as they seems to use the space outside the 0-1 range to store the extra sets

Megatrousers it's not only about Real Time.

But for a real time example have a look to Mari, for production Renderer any with a shading language , and for the rest many others who already integrate node or function for it.

It should be really easy to do with any decent production package today,by the way it's for sure easy to assign multiples textures for multiple UVtiles in realtime in a way or another (coding or not).

• Advanced Member

@Carlosa :None of the 2 options

I just want something easy to preview like:

uv-layoutv.jpg

By the way if you have 60 textures for 20 tiles (3textures/tile), how do you import these maps in 3D Coat ?

As far as i know, i'm probably wrong (i checked very quickly), but it looks like you have to import all the textures per channel by hands .

So 60 textures to import by hand, without anyway to script something .

• Reputable Contributor

I can see the usage in an external application where you are linking to different UV sets, but that seems beyond the scope of what 3D Coat's designed for. You can always modify the UV's however you like > bake what you need to and export the mesh with those UV's and texture maps. In Max I would import the different files into the same scene > apply a UV Unwrap modifier to each mesh > save their UV's > (you can now discard the extra mesh) load the newly saved alternate UV's into a different UV channel.

But trying to work on the same mesh inside of 3DC with different UVs (for the same polygons) is too convoluted. I personally think that's better done externally as 3DC's purpose is to deliver assets ahead of this step in the pipeline/process (shading//lighting/rendering). But perhaps it might be something to add as a feature request.

I import the model (fbx) for per pixel painting. The retopo room and how it relates to the other rooms is something of a mystery to me at the moment.

Actually, all the merging stuff confuses me a bit.

If I import as a retopo mesh, 3dc doesn't ask about uvs at all, but imports (and displays in the uv preview window) one uv set.

I had a look at your thread here:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7263

Do your methods require the sets be created in 3dc?

I think if the process is this involved, I would ultimately lose more time than I save. Thanks for your efforts though.

I suppose what I'd like is to be able to import a model with 2 sets each covering the same polys, switch between them (and see them!) freely in the uv and paint rooms and export the model with the sets intact. An additional option in the UV room to [Copy selected faces to] in addition to moving them would be gravy. Maybe if enough people deemed such a level of support useful, a feature request would be appropriate, but I know Andrew is swamped with a million other things.

• Reputable Contributor

@Carlosa :None of the 2 options

I just want something easy to preview like:

uv-layoutv.jpg

By the way if you have 60 textures for 20 tiles (3textures/tile), how do you import these maps in 3D Coat ?

As far as i know, i'm probably wrong (i checked very quickly), but it looks like you have to import all the textures per channel by hands .

So 60 textures to import by hand, without anyway to script something .

How would you do this in Mudbox? If you can't do it there, I wouldn't expect 3D Coat to, either.

• Advanced Member

How would you do this in Mudbox? If you can't do it there, I wouldn't expect 3D Coat to, either.

I was more comparing 3D Coat to Mari since i heard texturing is the first 3D Coat specialty.

In Mari there's no problem for this.

• Reputable Contributor

I was more comparing 3D Coat to Mari since i heard texturing is the first 3D Coat specialty.

In Mari there's no problem for this.

That's true, but Mari is designed to handle more complexity than 3D Coat. 3DC is more of a straight forward, no-nonsense, 3D Texture painting tool. It has a lot of capability, but it still has areas in need of improvement. Large Brush sizes tend to still be one of those. I've requested layer masks. In both cases, Mudbox is a step ahead of 3DC. But overall, in terms of number of features/versatility, 3DC is a more complete Texture Painting toolset. Every release of MB has it trickling in features that 3DC's had for years now.

Mudbox is it's closest competitor and yet over twice the cost...not to mention yearly upgrade/subscription costs. Mari is $2k+ and then you have maintenance to pay for. Doesn't seem reasonable to expect the application to do everything everyone wants, at a fraction of the cost and development staff as the other competing products, does it?

• Advanced Member

No it's not for sure,it's not fair.

But like i told , i'm pretty sure that Andrew already did the hardest part (ok many bugs to correct first) to be better than the other packages.

The UV tiles stuff is far more easier to do than what he did, i guess at some point it was just a choice between the 2 ways,may be now it will be harder cause of the legacy.

Anyway even if he wants to do it ... that will never happen before 6 months in the best case, many bugs and other features to do.

For the moment ,i just hope to be able to export my textures without any workaround (i have a bug that i reported).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.... i am new to this site.

Hi, what kind of 3D work do you do? I'd like to verify that you're not just a spammer, so if you could do as most new users do and post what kind of work, art, etc. you do and how you are interested in 3D-Coat, it would help me (and you) greatly. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm new to 3DC and modeling in general, I picked up the Pro Steam version and have completed the cartoon rat tutorial :) Looking forward to creating models for the steam workshop and love the integration that has been implemented.

Quick question, in the steam trailer for 3DC there is a controller/mouse used that looks really nice to use (as i am a bit cack-handed with a standard mouse). Does anyone one know the name of said controller or know of any others that would make my life slightly easier when modelling?