3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

Hi Karnage!

Glad to hear you're finding 3DC useful. :)

That 3D mouse is made by 3DConnexion, they have a number of 3D nice. I'm not sure exactly which one is in use in the video, but for navigation purposes you can use the low-end version of theirs, the SpaceNavigator. Here's their URL:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/

On that topic, they are a nice bunch of guys. We (Pilgway) met them at SIGGRAPH 2010, they were very friendly.

Hi everyone! My name's Bernardo, I work as a vfx artist in Warsaw (but I am Italian :) ). I use mainly blender, but I am always interested in new tools to add to my pipeline. 3dCoat looks really interestning and I am testing the trial these days with positive feedback. So I think I will purchase the soft, so I can also get v4 upgrade :D.

Now I have a simple question. I saw that 3Dcoat professional is sold on steam at a lower price than normal... Is this version totally equal to the one I would purchase on this website or is there any sort of diffence? Thank you very much for the help!

Hello! :D

I'm Ruben, but I likes to go as Atalix and I'm a new user but using a free trial of 3D Coat and I find it so very fascinating. ^^ It has the amazing tools Mudbox does not have. xD Nor Sculptris

But, maybe when I get the hang of using 3D Coat I might try to save up to buy it. Cause it appears to have a lot of promising tools and functions to make a high quality 3d mesh. I have been making 3d models for a long time but they're just out straight simple ships and other objects. But making a character is the hardest and I have only made a decent start up by exporting a human from makehuman to Sculptris to change out it's features then import to Maya to Retopo it but I hardly have a good skill to make a success. I'm learning how to clean and make very well 3d models with the great topology with quads.

And work on making simple animations and easy UVs.

I have a deviantArt gallery with 3D works of mine on Atalix.deviantart.com ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody! I´m from Spain and my name´s Daniel.

My big hobby is 3D (at this moment no job) but i´m still a newbie in the 3D world.

3D-Coat is my lifesaver for texturing (and retopo of course :D) my cloths, characters and props for Poser (later imported on 3Ds Max for render).

As a newbie I have a question... maybe someone answer this before but it´s a lot to read... the point is I´m import a model for texturing and apply symmetry on X. Draw some shapes to define the cloth pieces. Symmetry works like a charm in 3D-Coat, then I jump to photoshop to refine the previous shapes mainly with pen tool and brushes, when I´m finish all the work on photoshop jump back on 3D-Coat to see how it looks... here is the problem... I´m only editing one side on photoshop (usually the right side of the model) Is there a way on 3D-Coat to mirror the texture from the right side (edited in photoshop) to the left side of the model?

Thanks in advance and sorry my poor english.

• 2 weeks later...

Hay guys. nice to meet u all. my last names walker so just call me by my last name, the military kinda nailed that into me. I've been wanting to do this kinda stuff for many years and finally getting the chance to work with it i made my first 3 d model of a character i designed for a story i made. I was stupidly overexcited over creating a 3d model that I posted my voxel on facebook and showed everyone :P. I only have the educational version but I cant wait to get good at this so i can go professional. im prety cofident right now but i have a buttload to learn. my ability is strong in voxel sculpting but wondering should i master that first or should i evenly learn everything through. well thats all i got for now. cya around people

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

my name is - guess what - Sven. I live in Germany binationally married to my russian wife and mother of our 3 kids. I play Red Orchestra 2 and started modelling for the game and ... here I am. Newbie questions will follow shortly ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, guys. I`m prof visualisator from Rus and just bought 3d-coat to learn and create my own работы для себя and to support 3d-coat team (I know some of then speak russian)) in there genious work to delete borders between technic and art.

Когда уже будет отдельный русский сайт? :)

• Reputable Contributor

Hello 3dcoat world. Just purchased the package and I'm desperate to figure out how 3d coat exactly works. Hope to learn a lot on this forum!

Mosterd

There is a section here with links to various tutorials, but you should be able to learn quite a bit from 3D Coat's Youtube Channel. Posting new tutorials and feature demos constantly (so make sure to subscribe there)

http://www.youtube.c...r/PILGWAY3DCoat

Hi, guys. I`m prof visualisator from Rus and just bought 3d-coat to learn and create my own работы для себя and to support 3d-coat team (I know some of then speak russian)) in there genious work to delete borders between technic and art.

Когда уже будет отдельный русский сайт? :)

Welcome aboard. Yes, Pilgway is based in Kiev Ukraine. Andrew works as hard, and communicates with the userbase more than any developer I've ever seen. I don't know of any software that provides as much improvement/refinement as 3D Coat. Most of the tools are a direct result of user input and requests. New builds all the time, and if you have a critical problem, you have a bug reporting/feature request site just for that very purpose: http://3d-coat.com/mantis

...as well as e-mail support (support@3d-coat.com)

• Like 1

Hello, My name is Eric. I am primarily a 2D artist... digital painting with 2d bitmap editor programs. My background is in all around traditional media both visual and sculptural, but have migrated into digital art for the expanded tool boxes and lack of need to clean up not to mention very little need for space. I'm not a "professional", but like most people I wouldn't mind getting paid for doing things that I enjoy.

I just now purchased 3DC, So I am an ultra Newbie here. I have Zbrush as well, so I am somewhat familiar with some of the more similar tools. I was testing it out, and I hit a snag... maybe I am doing something wrong. I sculpted a very rough bird shape and I went to use the pose tool to put a bend in the wing which seemed to work, but when I applied the change (pressed the enter key), it broke the wing into three pieces along the bend. Obviously this isn't a critical issue for me since I'm just playing with it so far, but it someone knows what I might have done incorrectly. I'd appreciate knowing myself.

If anyone is curious, you can take a peak at some of my digital paintings on my deviantART acct, http://th3-gr3at-escap3.deviantart.com/gallery/

It's my hope to become proficient enough in digital 3D sculpting to use my own custom creatures, characters and objects as reusable and eventually rigged posable characters for reference in my artwork to lessen my dependence on other people's photos and whatnot. For some reason when I paint, I need references... my mind doesn't sit still long enough to study and draw anything that I imagine. Whatever the reason, I am better able to translate imagination into 3 dimensions than only 2. I am hopeful that learning to sculpt in software will help me better bridge the gap between imagination and creation.

I'm not sure if I'm more art minded or technical minded... bit of both I believe. Although, my 3D terminology is not up to snuff and has proven to be a little bit of a stumbling block in my odessy through 3D software.

Hello I am a new user.

My name is Michael Kirylo. I am currently the facility technical director at Zoic studios in Culver city. I also CG supervise a lot of our shows. I use Zbrush all the time at work. I am working on a small personal project at home for fun and I really didn't want to drop 700 for my own copy of zbrush. 3dcoat looks like it has pretty much all the same types of tools available so I started to play around with it. Its pretty cool and seems to be getting better. I went ahead and purchased 3dcoat. I will try to post something cool when I have my first sculpt done.

Thanks

• Reputable Contributor

Hello, My name is Eric. I am primarily a 2D artist... digital painting with 2d bitmap editor programs. My background is in all around traditional media both visual and sculptural, but have migrated into digital art for the expanded tool boxes and lack of need to clean up not to mention very little need for space. I'm not a "professional", but like most people I wouldn't mind getting paid for doing things that I enjoy.

I just now purchased 3DC, So I am an ultra Newbie here. I have Zbrush as well, so I am somewhat familiar with some of the more similar tools. I was testing it out, and I hit a snag... maybe I am doing something wrong. I sculpted a very rough bird shape and I went to use the pose tool to put a bend in the wing which seemed to work, but when I applied the change (pressed the enter key), it broke the wing into three pieces along the bend. Obviously this isn't a critical issue for me since I'm just playing with it so far, but it someone knows what I might have done incorrectly. I'd appreciate knowing myself.

If anyone is curious, you can take a peak at some of my digital paintings on my deviantART acct, http://th3-gr3at-esc...rt.com/gallery/

It's my hope to become proficient enough in digital 3D sculpting to use my own custom creatures, characters and objects as reusable and eventually rigged posable characters for reference in my artwork to lessen my dependence on other people's photos and whatnot. For some reason when I paint, I need references... my mind doesn't sit still long enough to study and draw anything that I imagine. Whatever the reason, I am better able to translate imagination into 3 dimensions than only 2. I am hopeful that learning to sculpt in software will help me better bridge the gap between imagination and creation.

I'm not sure if I'm more art minded or technical minded... bit of both I believe. Although, my 3D terminology is not up to snuff and has proven to be a little bit of a stumbling block in my odessy through 3D software.

Welcome to the forums. I think you'll have a lot of fun with the app, and plenty of folks here willing to help when or if you need it.

Hello I am a new user.

My name is Michael Kirylo. I am currently the facility technical director at Zoic studios in Culver city. I also CG supervise a lot of our shows. I use Zbrush all the time at work. I am working on a small personal project at home for fun and I really didn't want to drop 700 for my own copy of zbrush. 3dcoat looks like it has pretty much all the same types of tools available so I started to play around with it. Its pretty cool and seems to be getting better. I went ahead and purchased 3dcoat. I will try to post something cool when I have my first sculpt done.

Thanks

Cool. Glad to have you onboard, Michael. I think you'll find the sculpting in Surface mode the closest to what you are used to in ZBrush, and LiveClay is a blast to use, now. Hope to see what you got cooking :)

Hey guys,

Just a quick intro, I bought 3d coat just before christmas, and then the missus took time off work so I havnt been able to sit down and play with it yet. (you know, they like attention too)

Now that shes back at work im in and ready to take the plunge. I duuno if Spazmortis is on regularly, but he showed us this program back at school and have been planning on buying it since.

Thought I would treat myself this christmas and bought it.

Already customer feedback is top notch, and Andrew you totally rock for replying to emails within a few short hours, if that.(more like 1/2 an hour) Blown my mind and well as what the software can do.

Look forward to gettin into it and checking out the community.

Cheers

My Name is Kev.

I'm from the UK, I work in central London for an advertising company. My work does not directly involve any 3D so I guess I'm just a hobbyist.

I purchased 3D coat 24 hours ago so I'm really just getting to grips with the very basics of it but so far I'm enjoying every minute.

So far I have only done one thing with it (see wip thumbnail below).

135802758552.jpg

I have a lot to learn but I'm equally enthusiastic about learning more from the amazing talented people I have seen in the gallery and forums.

Thanks Javis, Im pretty sure I have been listening to you on youtube, with the 3d coat tuts lol.

Your hella talented, thanks for taking the time to put these up, helps with the learning curve and workflow.

I have a goal to do a 1 hour daily sculpt and see how far I progress this year, so I will get off the forums and get to it. :)

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've finally made it onto the forum after having purchased 3D-Coat 3.7 a year ago. I'm a 3D Artist, and Photographer. Most of my experience has been in the Game Industry, although I have recently shifted more into Rendering and Visualization. My web site can be found here: http://www.designbentley.com

I purchased 3D-Coat for the world class re-topology tools, but also was amazed at how much came with 3D-Coat as far as sculpting tools, UV mapping, Materials and Rendering.

Derek Bentley

Seattle, WA

• Contributor

Hi at all.

I am from Germany and Modelling and Sculpting is one of my hobbys. I start modelling in 2008 with creating models for other games linke Unreal Tournament, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and some other games.

Now i want to sculp and texture my modell in 3d, and after a long journey over Mudbox, Sculptris, ZBrush and Blender Sculpting, i found 3D Coat, and maybe this is the programm for me and my hobby.

We read us.

I should use the short time of my Demo.

Regards

Malo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm a retired USAF officer who recently started my own business as a freelance animator. I primarily use Lightwave but have been reading a lot about the great ways in which programs like 3D Coat enhance the LW workflow--especially for UV unwrapping and fine detailing. I'm also a die hard Mac user and appreciate that 3D Coat fully supports my OS of choice.

I just started with the trial download version but already am finding I like what I see. I expect to have many questions over the next several days as I "kick the tires and light the fires" and will probably purchase a commercial license before my trial runs out unless something goes horribly wrong.

Look forward to interacting with you soon! B)