3DCoat Forums

Introduce yourself!

Javis

• Reputable Contributor

Ahhhh a fellow lawn dart and infantry brothers, I'm feeling at home already! Thank you for the welcome guys and I look forward to exploring 3D Coat as part of my work flow. Though I may have already hit a wall with how clean the mesh is looking after export.... I'll make a post in another thread as to not to clutter the "welcome center".

Thanks again!

This might help you a bit in that department. Sometimes you may want to switch to Surface mode (no volume, just outer mesh), and use some of the smoothing features there, Tangent smooth is great for maintaining details with a more subtle smoothing effect. Smoothing in voxel mode can be a bit too strong or harsh in some circumstances.

Hello everyone!

I guess to keep it short, I'm someone returning from a long hiatus from the world of CG (about 10 years). I'm looking to get back into the field, but first things first...catching up. After some research, I'm 99% sure I will be purchasing 3D Coat at the end of my trial period. 3D Coat seems to be the all-in-one package I'm looking for when it comes to asset creation for the Unity Engine. I'm interested in seeing where my interests will take me this time around with game development and hope this forum can help along with the catching up process.

I'm easy going, thoughtful and a clown all at the same time. But this is really about engaging my creativity at a high level and interacting with people who approach their efforts with a level of professionalism. I just finished building a home studio and I really looking forward to putting it to use to see what the future brings.

Initial goals are to understand 3D Coat's toolsets (which I've pretty much been doing at this point), getting current with techniques and workflows so I can excel at modeling - painting models/objects at a professional level. 3D Coat will share a relationship with Unity and it goes from there...

My fingers are crossed...let's have a creative time people. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Newbie here, to the forum and 3D (I've been doing this a hair over a year by now, so I think that's still within realms of newbieness). An online friend (and 3D goodies vendor) recommended 3DCoat and gave it a good spiel, so I downloaded the demo and I've been happily tinkering with it! Wow! So cool! Unlike other software I've tried, this one clicked in my brain right away!

I don't have any noob questions yet, but I'm sure those will come in time. Right now I'm just happily slathering paint over digital figures (as opposed to real ones -- this is very much like miniature painting hobby I also have) and exporting textures to my main software (DAZ Studio 4.5). At this point sculpting is just a cherry on top of my sundae, since I wanted to try this for painting purposes (I hate UV seam painting with a blazing passion); however, I've dabbled with that too (mostly with Hexagon and Sculptris), so it is going to end up a rather huge cherry on my dessert. :wub::give_rose:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've actually owned 3D-coat for over a year, but only started using it this week! What a waste! I'm really enjoying it so far. Hitting walls here and there, but there's a really great selection of tutorials around.

My name's Olly, I'm an animation director in Bristol (UK). I've been doing CG for about 15 years... Working at Aardman, Passion Pictures, and my own small company (so small now, I'm just keeping myself company)

Modelling in Modo and Sculptris. Animating and rendering in XSI and Arnold

if you're interested you can see some of my stuff here... ollyreid.com

The forums for Modo were really lively, and it's nice to see that there's a similar feel here..

I look forward to bugging you all with nooby questions!

Olly

Hi all, my name is Lucian and I live in Romania

I have artistic background ( Bachelor of Fine Art ), curently working as webdesigner and playing with 3d in my free time. I am using Blender, Photoshop, Artrage, Silo 3d, Messiah, Octane, I used Lightwave in past.

I been playing with Blender for a while ( I have small gallery here https://cgcookie.com/blender/profile/lucian ) and while doing these modeling exercises and playing with sculpting and paiting inside Blender I figure out that I need a little more than what Blender has to offer.

I hope I can learn 3dcoat next, I seen wonderful works here on forum and on gallery and they keep me motivated and I want to thank you guys for this!

• Reputable Contributor

Hi

I've actually owned 3D-coat for over a year, but only started using it this week! What a waste! I'm really enjoying it so far. Hitting walls here and there, but there's a really great selection of tutorials around.

My name's Olly, I'm an animation director in Bristol (UK). I've been doing CG for about 15 years... Working at Aardman, Passion Pictures, and my own small company (so small now, I'm just keeping myself company)

Modelling in Modo and Sculptris. Animating and rendering in XSI and Arnold

if you're interested you can see some of my stuff here... ollyreid.com

The forums for Modo were really lively, and it's nice to see that there's a similar feel here..

I look forward to bugging you all with nooby questions!

Olly

That's a sweet renderer....I'm envious. Welcome aboard. I think you'll find Andrew very accommodating as far as implementing user ideas/input...so, if something is not quite working the way you expect, you can always e-mail him and if it's kept brief, he will often respond back.

Hi! My name is Jefferson Alves, Im from Brazil, 36 years old and my actual profession (prosthodontist) has nothing to do with cg art but I really love drawing and 3d!
Obs: My english spelling isn't very good, hope you dont mind :blush:
Thnak you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I believe this is the right place to introduce myself. My name is Käy, I live in the Netherlands and recently began modelling. I've done some things in Groboto, but am considering 3d coat. I'm immensely impressed by the options available in 3d coat, and very glad the learning curve isn't that steep.

My ideal workflow would be making a rough model in groboto, bring it into 3d coat for refining and making and baking maps, and refine those further in Genetica. (I'm a texture artist by trade, just got into modeling).

When I practiced some more and when I'm able to how some things I'm working in, I'll share them if anyone is interested. For now I'm having a blast with the trial.

Best regards, Käy/Funkdude.

Hi everyone! I'm rather new to 3dcoat but not to 3d. I'm an assistant professor at Georgia Regents University in Augusta, GA and I'm using 3dcoat to help create dental illustrations and animations for teaching.

Good day. I live in the USA, I'm a novice voice-actor, and video game creator. I'm looking forward to making TONS of 3-D models! (Okay, not exactly tons, but several.) I was looking for a site that includes 3-D models, animating, and tons of fun when I stumbled upon THIS PLACE. I have a good feeling about this one. I'm thinkin' this'll help me A LOT. Wish me luck on making models!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

My name is Samantha. I'm a college dropout trying to develop my own games. Great start, right? :P I've been doing 3d for years but only recently started sculpting, and that was with Sculptris. I happened to find out about 3DCoat as I was trying to find something comparable to Zbrush... Sculptris is nice but hardly workable for video game stuff, and Zbrush is way out of my budget. So far I am absolutely IN LOVE with 3DCoat, and will definitely be pulling some overtime at my usual 40hr job to buy a full license.

I'm one of those overly ambitious, maybe-too-much-of-a-perfectionist-to-be-a-good-thing, and sometimes stupidly optimistic people. Oh, and stubborn. Very stubborn. I will bash a 3d model into submission if I have to. ;)

• Reputable Contributor

Hi everyone!

My name is Samantha. I'm a college dropout trying to develop my own games. Great start, right? :P I've been doing 3d for years but only recently started sculpting, and that was with Sculptris. I happened to find out about 3DCoat as I was trying to find something comparable to Zbrush... Sculptris is nice but hardly workable for video game stuff, and Zbrush is way out of my budget. So far I am absolutely IN LOVE with 3DCoat, and will definitely be pulling some overtime at my usual 40hr job to buy a full license.

I'm one of those overly ambitious, maybe-too-much-of-a-perfectionist-to-be-a-good-thing, and sometimes stupidly optimistic people. Oh, and stubborn. Very stubborn. I will bash a 3d model into submission if I have to. ;)

Welcome aboard. Good timing, as Andrew has done some remarkable work this past week on the brushes in the Voxel room. Much more fun to use.

Hi Samantha. Welcome to the club.   :)  Have you checked out FPS Control? It's a free pack of tools for the Unity game engine that handles all the scripting for you so all you have to do is the art.  Also cool that you can export the game for PC, mac, Android, and ios. I've been playing with it myself I just don't have any ideas for a game. 

• Advanced Member

Welcome Samantha,

I too was a sculptris fan, but 3D Coat has a lot more offer and it's changed so much since v3. You're in good hands with AbnRanger and I'm sure you'll get some great tips or answers to tricky questions from Digman. 

Check out the 3DCoat youtube channel, especially the 'common workflows' videos, they're a good starting point: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0j3eOUZqug

Also look for the '3DCoat from scratch' videos by Greg Smith: http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7265

If money is tight (as it always is) from time to time there are some crazy people who want to sell there 3DC licence, so keep an eye out.

WOW. Thanks to all of you for the welcome and the wealth of information!

Funny you mention unity, as that is exactly what I'm using to develop my game. Coding isn't my strong point, I can do some basic stuff, so this will help immensely. I'm hoping to have as much of my 3d assets done before I start crunching code and the like. ;)

Thank you for pointing me to the Youtube channel, I'll have to check it out! I had found some stuff on there but none of what I looked at (so far) really answered my question. (Yet.)

Happy arting, everyone. <3

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say hello.

My name is Tony and I've been a LW user for more than a decade now. I've been dithering over adding a new piece of software to my little shop and was experimenting/evaluatiing Sculptris, then 3DC and ZB.  I finally took the jump and picked up 3DC. What a great piece of software! Decided to get active in the community as well... managed to keep my usual moniker AFalk which is great.  You may have seen me at the Newtek, Liberty3d, or foundation boards before now.  I look forward to seeing how many ways I can incorporate 3DC into my work!

Tony

• Advanced Member

Hi Tony,

You'll know a lot of people on here as they carry their moniker over too. So welcome aboard and can't wait to see what you produce.

Ricky.

Hey Guys,

I just got interested in 3DC which seems pretty impressive and good value too compared to the competition. I live in the UK and have been interested in 3D art and animation for ever, first buying LW5.6 in late 90's!

Due to work and family etc. have found it hard to make progress and am now too old to embark on any sort of career but can still have fun with 3D. Recently I just started using Blender again and now at version 2.6xx I think its a great program and really impressed with the community. I hoping to use 3DC with it and have found various vids on youtube and here which are great.

PS: I already posted dumb question on 'new users' without intro myself so hope I did not offend anyone- sorry.

Regards

Steve 

• Reputable Contributor

Tony inspires us all with his quips... so he has a very healthy brain... :D

I'm 60 and they are just numbers we put for how many times we have gone around the sun, life is no different than when I was a kid, learning more now than I ever did in school...

Welcome!

Sooo much to learn, so little time ha ha.

Thanks guys, busy filling my head with numerous videos... no time left to experiment.

Using a trial version at moment, its not telling me how many days I have left (too use the trial I mean).

Trying to decide which version to buy before price goes up end of the month! :D

take care.

I live in Vancouver BC, and an independent developer has taken some interest in my work, they dont use zbrush, which has prompted me to start learning fast.

I have minimal experience with 3d coat's previous versions but then fell back onto zbrush since zbrush had more source material at the time.

I plan to post questions often.