3DCoat Forums
Javis

Introduce yourself!

Hello,

I'm Davide from Italy.

Arrived to 3d-Coat searching for a tool helping me with 3d scans.

Collaborating with a NPO I'm just the guy that push for innovation in term of visual scenograpy and technology.

Planning to use 3d-Coat to support some 3d theatrical background creation and also experimenting with 3d scanning and 3d printing with some other companies and academic institutions.

Using right now HitFilm Pro and experimented with iClone, Cinema 4D and Indigo Render, I tried also some CAD for solid modelling.

Main interest retopology, mesh operations and adjustment, painting, I hope in the future to become good enough to start sculpting.

• Like 1

G'Day to all the folks at 3D Coat forum

I'm Chris from Melbourne Australia

I started in 3D modelling/Animation back when Alias Wavefront was the software of the day. Anyway I took a break from the 3D industry for about 4 years ago to pursue other things, now  I'm just doing 3D stuff for the fun of it. So these days I'm just working on stuff I enjoy mainly working on a Fink style of art which 3D coat lends itself to very well.

I found the 3d coat demo about six weeks ago and have been playing with it ever since. I brought the software a couple of days and enjoy using it very much. I personally think it's every bit as good ZBrush.

So anyway I upload a few images a bit later as I become better with the software.

Cheers

• Like 1

Greetings all,

I'm a digital artist designer who graduated art school not that long ago with a degree in Visual Effects & Motion Graphics (VEMG). I had wanted to update my skills. VEMG encompasses a whole spectrum of technologies related to making visuals that fool people - mostly effects for commercials and movies. So 3D modeling was just one of many aspects covered.

The training I did receive in 3D modeling was on a very basic level. I did experience some box & strip modeling, rigging, and animation in 3DsMax. And also I did a little subdivision sculpting within Cinema 4D; but I've never taken a 3D project from start to finish in a work flow built for games or video. So I know very little about the specifics of UV mapping, topology, or rendering-based technologies like ray tracing & shaders. 

When I was graduated, I had the opportunity to take a different path. I started doing some practical design/prototyping. For that I had to train in CAD with Rhinoceros. I loved being able to prototype real-world objects using CNC milling or 3D printing. The CAD environment, with its NURBS and T-Splines is precise and a perfect fit for those output technologies. But CAD is stricter and less flexible than strip modeling... plus it is really weak when it comes to producing organic shapes and textures. I can see how 3D models can be "organically enhanced" through painted UV maps (and it does look like 3D Coat has a lot of great tools for that).... But that stuff only works for screen-oriented products. Real-world prototypes need real-world volumes & textures.

I'm really intrigued by the voxel paradigm within 3D Coat and I'm hoping I might find a workflow that enhances Rhino CAD models with Coat sculpts...

I'm not thinking it's going to be easy; but I'm hoping that it could be... I've played with ZBrush a little; and I was taken aback by the complexity of its unique UI and its strategy for subdivisions. I'm perceiving there would be a steep learning curve. So I pointed my self at 3D Coat. Coat's interface is also a bit confusing and overwhelming to me as well; but it does seem a little more conventional, and therefore might possibly be more intuitive for me. My main problem at this point is that everything seems so oriented toward UV mapping.

As I said I'm hoping that I can find a usable Rhino/3D Cat workflow that avoids everything but actual geometry and practical sculpts.

Thanks 4 listening

dayoldy

I understand, or think, that 3d Coat has an automatic retopology feature. If this is so, I would like to know. I want to know also, if it is easier and/or more automatic than that of Blender retopology with J. Williamson's retopology add-on. How much work does it entail to get 3D Coat to automatically retopologize my sculpts. I don't think the 30 day trial is going to do it. However I would feel pretty stupid to buy the full licensed package and find that Blender can do as well, or better. I am pretty slow to start with but hope eventually to find a software that does retopology fairly automatically, maybe someday when it has been produced. Where is even the command or tab or key to start auto retopo in 3D Coat? I am only interested in 3d Coat because it appears to claim that the user can automatically retopologize a high poly sculpted obj.

BTW I tried to attach an existing .obj file here and the software told me I am limited to 19+ MB file size but file is 3,769 KB. Is this an evil Omen of what to expect from 3D Coat?

16 minutes ago, reidh said:

I understand, or think, that 3d Coat has an automatic retopology feature. If this is so, I would like to know. I want to know also, if it is easier and/or more automatic than that of Blender retopology with J. Williamson's retopology add-on. How much work does it entail to get 3D Coat to automatically retopologize my sculpts. I don't think the 30 day trial is going to do it. However I would feel pretty stupid to buy the full licensed package and find that Blender can do as well, or better. I am pretty slow to start with but hope eventually to find a software that does retopology fairly automatically, maybe someday when it has been produced. Where is even the command or tab or key to start auto retopo in 3D Coat? I am only interested in 3d Coat because it appears to claim that the user can automatically retopologize a high poly sculpted obj.

BTW I tried to attach an existing .obj file here and the software told me I am limited to 19+ MB file size but file is 3,769 KB. Is this an evil Omen of what to expect from 3D Coat?

Check this out, maybe this will help. 

Morning...  Another sort-of new user here.  Previously I've only used 3D Coat to clean up jewellery models generated in Rhino, now I'm starting to look at sculpting them from scratch in 3DC for subsequent 3d printing.  If I've understood things correctly, that generally means I've no reason to venture outside the sculpt room?

I've not yet found much in the way of tutorials on modelling objects to specific real-world sizes (google fu failure, probably), would anyone be able to point me towards one or two, please?

Honestly I'm still a little confused by the scale thing myself so I always bring my models into another program like LightWave to check the scale before 3D printing. As for other rooms you may find the Retopo room helpful, If I'm looking for really smooth clean lines sometimes I like to sculpt it roughly in the Sculptroom, then do a retopo, then bring the retopo mesh into the sculpt room and apply smoothing to it while importing.

Everything gets put through Netfabb prior to printing, so there's an opportunity to check measurements, but it'd be far preferable to make sure it's right first time.  What I've been doing is to create a primitive (e.g. cylinder for a ring cutout) and using that, but it'd be nice to see a workflow that was based around sculpting jewellery.  One thing I use in Rhino is gems with associated cutters - both get scaled the same, both get the same alignment.  I think that would mean they need to be on different layers in 3D Coat, but I've yet to find a way to link transform operations to both of them (or work out if they ought to be primitives instead).  That said, I'm still adapting to moving between voxel & surface modes.

I'll have another look at retopo, thank you.

Hi, everyone! I'm Ben, a 2d comic and storyboard artist trying to move to the world of 3d. Been trying out a number of 3d apps and so far I really like 3DCoat :)

Will post some of my stuff soon!

Warm welcome to all new artists.

With 3D Coat you will feel right at home.

Hi,

i'm infographist and programmer. I'm french so sorry for my english.

I actually use 3d coat to make monsters & terrains for a video game based upon Dungeons & Dragons.

Hi!

I'm Antti from Finland.

A friend of mine suggested 3D-Coat and I bought it after watching couple of videos. And it is GREAT!

Especially as I use Lightwave (with Octane Render) for 3D in general. I have tried to learn ZBrush for a year but already now I am much more familiar and 'at home' with 3DC than ever with Zbrush. I still have a lot to learn of course and that online 'manual' does not help with that but still I really like 3DC :)

I also do 3D Printing at home (and at work) so 3DC using real units is VERY important to me as well :)

P.S. What I need to do to be able to reply in this forum elsewhere?

Antti

Hi Antti, welcome to the forum. I'm also a LightWave user. You shouldn't have any trouble replying in the rest of the forum.

1 minute ago, philnolan3d said:

Hi Antti, welcome to the forum. I'm also a LightWave user. You shouldn't have any trouble replying in the rest of the forum.

Thank you :)

But I wanted to report problems with latest beta but in the "beta tesing thread" I cannot reply or quote at all. Is that some special place where you need to invited or why is it like that? :)

Hi !

Sorry but you need Apprentice rank (+50 content items) to post there

1 minute ago, Carlosan said:

Hi !

Ah ok so not anytime soon :D

Ok then I'll write to support as I already have once :)

Thanks!

Hi all,

Finally downloaded the trial of 3D Coat after many recommendations from people for doing UVs. I'm blown away with how well it works. It reminds me of Headus, but it's a bit easier to manage. I'm just getting back to work on my portfolio and I'll be purchasing 3d Coat and adding it to my workflow.

There is one weird issue I'm having where I'm unable to select geometry. Is there a special tool or something I'm missing or is this a bug? I'm exporting .OBJs from Maya 2016. Thanks!

1 hour ago, artbyv said:

Hi all,

Finally downloaded the trial of 3D Coat after many recommendations from people for doing UVs. I'm blown away with how well it works. It reminds me of Headus, but it's a bit easier to manage. I'm just getting back to work on my portfolio and I'll be purchasing 3d Coat and adding it to my workflow.

There is one weird issue I'm having where I'm unable to select geometry. Is there a special tool or something I'm missing or is this a bug? I'm exporting .OBJs from Maya 2016. Thanks!

Hey Jeffrey! Welcome. :)

It depends on what room you're in, each one has a different way. If you're trying to select in the Paint Room, you actually  need to go to the Tweak Room. That's the mesh editing room for Paint Objects.

For the UV Room you can only select edges in the 3D viewport, and any element in the UV editor. To change selections, look on the top bar for the different mode toggles. To actually edit them, make sure "Manipulate" is ticked on.

The Retopo Room has similar functions as the UV Room, the element modes are on the top bar, but there is an actual Select tool. Activate the tool to see the modes.

In the Sculpt Room, is different. Essentially everything is selected, until you mask it. Any operation can be performed on area of the sculpt excluding the masked area. I can elaborate on that if you'd like. Just let me know. :)

4 minutes ago, Javis said:

Hey Jeffrey! Welcome. :)

It depends on what room you're in, each one has a different way. If you're trying to select in the Paint Room, you actually  need to go to the Tweak Room. That's the mesh editing room for Paint Objects.

For the UV Room you can only select edges in the 3D viewport, and any element in the UV editor. To change selections, look on the top bar for the different mode toggles. To actually edit them, make sure "Manipulate" is ticked on.

The Retopo Room has similar functions as the UV Room, the element modes are on the top bar, but there is an actual Select tool. Activate the tool to see the modes.

In the Sculpt Room, is different. Essentially everything is selected, until you mask it. Any operation can be performed on area of the sculpt excluding the masked area. I can elaborate on that if you'd like. Just let me know. :)

Thank you! I appreciate the quick reply. There is a video on YouTube that shows how to copy and paste UVs from one object to another that I was trying to follow, but I can't get it to work. It's about 4 years old so I'm not sure if it changed. I'm in the tweak room and I can see the list of options across the top bar. If I click on vertices, edges, or faces, I still can't get anything selected when I click on the model. I can paint on the model in the Paint room and I can do UVs and all that in the UV room, but I can't select anything. Not sure if I'm just being dense, but it's not working for me.

No problem. :)

For the copy/paste of UVs, I'm sure you've already made sure of this, but just in case... The mesh should be perfectly symmetrical, or it wont work at all. I don't think the operation has changed, so it should still work. For selections in the UV room - I think I understand what you're trying to do. In the UV room, you can only select edges in the 3D view, whatever element mode you have active will apply only to the UV editor. It seems counter intuitive, I know. But you'll (eventually)get used to it. :) 

In the Tweak Room, unless there has been some change, there shouldn't be any options on the top bar for the element modes. On the left Tool Panel, there's a Select/Transform tool, when activated will bring up the Tool Options panel, and that panel should have all the options you would need to transform your selection, and to expand/contract/etc. your selection. There are a couple of different modes tool, brush selection, object and gradient. You probably want to use the brush mode from what I gather. So paint a selection, and then use one of the transform modes to bring up the gizmo.

On 8/15/2016 at 11:13 AM, Carlosan said:

Hi !

On 8/15/2016 at 11:16 AM, atnreg said:

Ah ok so not anytime soon :D

Ok then I'll write to support as I already have once :)

Thanks!

On 8/15/2016 at 1:36 PM, philnolan3d said:

Ah, my mistake. I didn't know about that rule.

I changed this setting. Any new user can post there now. It seems really restrictive to new users, It also didn't exist before the last forum update. Poof.