3DCoat Forums
Javis

Introduce yourself!

11 minutes ago, Javis said:

I changed this setting. Any new user can post there now. It seems really restrictive to new users, It also didn't exist before the last forum update. Poof.

Thank you very much :)

Which is best place/way to notify about bugs/ideas, that thread or directly writing to Andrew?

• Like 1

It depends I suppose. I usually will post on the forum if I feel discussion is a good way to go, or to get other people involved to show Andrew there is interest. If it's immediate and serious bug, I email him directly. There's also Mantis, which really helps keep track of things, so for most reports/FRs I post there, and will post on the forum too.

26 minutes ago, Javis said:

It depends I suppose. I usually will post on the forum if I feel discussion is a good way to go, or to get other people involved to show Andrew there is interest. If it's immediate and serious bug, I email him directly. There's also Mantis, which really helps keep track of things, so for most reports/FRs I post there, and will post on the forum too.

Ok :)

I tried Mantis but bugs that I reported there were fixed already some time ago (4.7.10 but before this official release) but Mantis still lists them as unsolved ;)

Thanks for the tips!

5 minutes ago, atnreg said:

Ok :)

I tried Mantis but bugs that I reported there were fixed already some time ago (4.7.10 but before this official release) but Mantis still lists them as unsolved ;)

Thanks for the tips!

NP! If you send me your Mantis user name, and/or the reports that are unresolved, I'll be happy to clean them up. :)

Edited by Javis
Added Mantis

On 1.9.2016 at 10:28 PM, Javis said:

I changed this setting. Any new user can post there now. It seems really restrictive to new users, It also didn't exist before the last forum update. Poof.

I still cannot reply in "3D-Coat 4.7 (beta tesing thread)"

a thread in new users can help too.

ty

Hello,

My name is Marvin. I currently reside in Oklahoma City. Through earning my Associates Degree in Computer Science/Game Development I learned the in & outs of polygon modeling, texturing, and level/environment design. As a child I was always drawing something that I would study and add my own artistic touch through shading/detail but I actually started getting more interested in games around the time Toy Story came out. I just remember thinking "games will be a huge thing when they look like that someday" This is very much my "coming out party" and to give a bit of history- after earning my degree the 'ol chip on my shoulder reared it's ugly head and basically my work was literally crap and I was aware of that much, heck I didn't even know how to bake normals from high poly, my textures always looked low res on my models even though there were 2048x2048, specular/gloss maps were a moot point[metal never looked like metal anyway] and I would just never get the results I wanted.I wanted it to look realistic and just felt something was missing.

After playing falling in love with the beauty Crysis 3 I came across a few PDF that Crytek release that showed their approach to developing the game. They briefly touched on creating diffuse and specular in a more physically based manner, not long after I came across a post-mortem for Killzone Shadowfall where they fully detailed that their materials were created for PBR. My first experience in PBR was with substance designer but prior to that I had remembered seeing someone doing amazing texturing directly on a model using this incredible program called 3DCoat. I was most likely just downright intimidated by the 'technical/elite' programs like 3D Coat and ZBrush. But as my skills improved I couldn't stop contemplating the possibilities. I was actually looking for a more advanced UV mapping tool, and although what improvements Maya has done in that area is great, I wanted the perks of a more dedicated tool. 3D Coat fits the need perfectly and then adds a ton more. I purchased the educational license and plan on upgrading. I'll be using it religiously for my more complex models. It is a bit more on the restrictive side due to it's different modes so I want to make sure I'm in line with what "can and can't" be done. So I do have a few questions:

1) If I want to bring in a high poly mesh from zbrush is fbx or obj preferred?

2) The axis orientation is completely off, I export as Y=up but the model imports as laying flat instead of standing up. What setting an I missing to import it with proper orientation?

3) I use the import object option, is this correct?

4) If I've created a model and its comprised of multiple layers, some surface/some voxel, what must be done so I can export the model as a single mesh for future endeavors[like texturing].

Thank in advance for welcoming me and for any valuable tips to help things so smoother.

Greetings,

My name is Anna and I live in Washington State. I have been using several 3d Programs over the years. Currently my two that I have been using are After Effects (Element by Video Co-Pilot for the past six years) and Iclone Pro for the past five years. On Occasion I have been using Bryce 7 to make backing plates.

I have been dabbling with making a Sci-Fi video with all 3D input.

I have purchased this new Program 3D Coat and I am afraid I am going to need some help on this one, I am very baffled with this one and I can usually figure things out on my own but not this time. Getting older is not helping either. I will be 69 on Halloween but still feel like 18.

I am looking forward to sharing your ideas in getting back on track with this great program.

Welcome aboard, Rock Headed Girl. I have eleven years on you so I can safely say that you have enough spare neurons to become proficient in this marvelous program. At the top of this screen is a tab for 3D-Coat.com where (under "Learn") you can access the online videos.  It is constantly evolving so some of the videos are out of date but the techniques are the same. Have fun!

Hi

my name is Michael come from Trnava in Slovakia and I am new user of 3D coat what is great source for you creativity 

I use it since June this year what means not to Lang but I use him almost 24h/day

i am hobby graphic artist and for me is important to know perfect painting .

I work actually on simple game for mobile platform in unity direction painting 

thx

On 7/9/2010 at 8:38 PM, Greg said:

Hi All,

My name is Greg and I've done too many different things in my life to list them all! lol

I live a little outside of Nashville, TN.

After a very long time in the military, I got a job as an airbrush artist for Big Dog Motorcycles in Wichita, KS. While there I began studying 3d and digital design. Since then I've worked as a digital design instructor, web/multimedia designer and most recently flash game programmer/designer. My primary interest through all of this has been in 3D, and think this is a great time for us, with fantastic programs like 3D Coat within financial reach of most people. I buy way too much software, and will probably never be able to retire! :D

I've got a great wife, a spoiled little Maltese dog, and life is good!

Nice to meet you all.

Hi Greg...I'm Ty and I'm currently in TN (Gray). How is your skillset learning with 3D coat going?

Hi everyone,

I'm Ty and have been an 2D 3D generalist type artist for a long time now. Currently my expertise is with 3D character creature modeling and concept art. I'm based in the US (TN) and I currently freelance. Very happy 3D coat is around and not too pricey.... a very strong solution for Indie artist with indie budgets. I first was drawn to 3D coat because of the retopology feature. Now I'm looking to explore all the functions and see what I can get efficient with.

Hi, My name is Grangerous, and I'm going to school for Game Development. I've been taking a course on Unwrapping in 3D Coat, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the concept, so I want to be able to spend more time working on unwrapping in order to get good at this.

If anybody has any ideas for easy practice models or youtube videos, send them my way. Thanks!

Hi, my name is Mike. And i started using 3d coat just for retopology of my models, created in other software. Then step by step i turned to create my models fully in the Coat. At the moment i'm going to buy my first 3d scanner and, i'm wondering if 3d Coat can work with meshes comes fron scans.

Hi Mike glad to hear you're enjoying the software.  3DC definitely works with models that were scanned, I do it all the time. However before you spend a ton of money on a scanner consider the free options available. I made a tutorial that might help.

Hi everyone,

My name is Shane and I have been using Blender for many years now as a hobbyist and freelancer.  I'm new to 3D Coat which I bought primarily for the painting but I am really interested in the uv mapping and retopo features.  Now to go and post my first question in the forums.

Hello,

I have a simple question, I am a beginner with 3dcoat.

I am creating files with Rhino and I want to make them a bit more organic and adding texture to it. I can import objects into 3d coat ( stl / obj) but then I lose the scale. How can I keep the scale?

Many thanks in advance,

Joan Codina

• Like 1