3DCoat Forums
Javis

Introduce yourself!

I can see the usage in an external application where you are linking to different UV sets, but that seems beyond the scope of what 3D Coat's designed for. You can always modify the UV's however you like > bake what you need to and export the mesh with those UV's and texture maps. In Max I would import the different files into the same scene > apply a UV Unwrap modifier to each mesh > save their UV's > (you can now discard the extra mesh) load the newly saved alternate UV's into a different UV channel.

But trying to work on the same mesh inside of 3DC with different UVs (for the same polygons) is too convoluted. I personally think that's better done externally as 3DC's purpose is to deliver assets ahead of this step in the pipeline/process (shading//lighting/rendering). But perhaps it might be something to add as a feature request.

I import the model (fbx) for per pixel painting. The retopo room and how it relates to the other rooms is something of a mystery to me at the moment.

Actually, all the merging stuff confuses me a bit.

If I import as a retopo mesh, 3dc doesn't ask about uvs at all, but imports (and displays in the uv preview window) one uv set.

I had a look at your thread here:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7263

Do your methods require the sets be created in 3dc?

I think if the process is this involved, I would ultimately lose more time than I save. Thanks for your efforts though.

I suppose what I'd like is to be able to import a model with 2 sets each covering the same polys, switch between them (and see them!) freely in the uv and paint rooms and export the model with the sets intact. An additional option in the UV room to [Copy selected faces to] in addition to moving them would be gravy. Maybe if enough people deemed such a level of support useful, a feature request would be appropriate, but I know Andrew is swamped with a million other things.

@Carlosa :None of the 2 options

I just want something easy to preview like:

uv-layoutv.jpg

By the way if you have 60 textures for 20 tiles (3textures/tile), how do you import these maps in 3D Coat ?

As far as i know, i'm probably wrong (i checked very quickly), but it looks like you have to import all the textures per channel by hands .

So 60 textures to import by hand, without anyway to script something .

How would you do this in Mudbox? If you can't do it there, I wouldn't expect 3D Coat to, either.

How would you do this in Mudbox? If you can't do it there, I wouldn't expect 3D Coat to, either.

I was more comparing 3D Coat to Mari since i heard texturing is the first 3D Coat specialty.

In Mari there's no problem for this.

I was more comparing 3D Coat to Mari since i heard texturing is the first 3D Coat specialty.

In Mari there's no problem for this.

That's true, but Mari is designed to handle more complexity than 3D Coat. 3DC is more of a straight forward, no-nonsense, 3D Texture painting tool. It has a lot of capability, but it still has areas in need of improvement. Large Brush sizes tend to still be one of those. I've requested layer masks. In both cases, Mudbox is a step ahead of 3DC. But overall, in terms of number of features/versatility, 3DC is a more complete Texture Painting toolset. Every release of MB has it trickling in features that 3DC's had for years now.

Mudbox is it's closest competitor and yet over twice the cost...not to mention yearly upgrade/subscription costs. Mari is $2k+ and then you have maintenance to pay for. Doesn't seem reasonable to expect the application to do everything everyone wants, at a fraction of the cost and development staff as the other competing products, does it?

No it's not for sure,it's not fair.

But like i told , i'm pretty sure that Andrew already did the hardest part (ok many bugs to correct first) to be better than the other packages.

The UV tiles stuff is far more easier to do than what he did, i guess at some point it was just a choice between the 2 ways,may be now it will be harder cause of the legacy.

Anyway even if he wants to do it ... that will never happen before 6 months in the best case, many bugs and other features to do.

For the moment ,i just hope to be able to export my textures without any workaround (i have a bug that i reported).

Hi.... i am new to this site.

Hi, what kind of 3D work do you do? I'd like to verify that you're not just a spammer, so if you could do as most new users do and post what kind of work, art, etc. you do and how you are interested in 3D-Coat, it would help me (and you) greatly. Thanks.

Hey, I'm new to 3DC and modeling in general, I picked up the Pro Steam version and have completed the cartoon rat tutorial :) Looking forward to creating models for the steam workshop and love the integration that has been implemented.

Quick question, in the steam trailer for 3DC there is a controller/mouse used that looks really nice to use (as i am a bit cack-handed with a standard mouse). Does anyone one know the name of said controller or know of any others that would make my life slightly easier when modelling?

Hi Karnage!

Glad to hear you're finding 3DC useful. :)

That 3D mouse is made by 3DConnexion, they have a number of 3D nice. I'm not sure exactly which one is in use in the video, but for navigation purposes you can use the low-end version of theirs, the SpaceNavigator. Here's their URL:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/

On that topic, they are a nice bunch of guys. We (Pilgway) met them at SIGGRAPH 2010, they were very friendly.

Hi everyone! My name's Bernardo, I work as a vfx artist in Warsaw (but I am Italian :) ). I use mainly blender, but I am always interested in new tools to add to my pipeline. 3dCoat looks really interestning and I am testing the trial these days with positive feedback. So I think I will purchase the soft, so I can also get v4 upgrade :D.

Now I have a simple question. I saw that 3Dcoat professional is sold on steam at a lower price than normal... Is this version totally equal to the one I would purchase on this website or is there any sort of diffence? Thank you very much for the help!

Hello! :D

I'm Ruben, but I likes to go as Atalix and I'm a new user but using a free trial of 3D Coat and I find it so very fascinating. ^^ It has the amazing tools Mudbox does not have. xD Nor Sculptris

But, maybe when I get the hang of using 3D Coat I might try to save up to buy it. Cause it appears to have a lot of promising tools and functions to make a high quality 3d mesh. I have been making 3d models for a long time but they're just out straight simple ships and other objects. But making a character is the hardest and I have only made a decent start up by exporting a human from makehuman to Sculptris to change out it's features then import to Maya to Retopo it but I hardly have a good skill to make a success. I'm learning how to clean and make very well 3d models with the great topology with quads.

And work on making simple animations and easy UVs.

I have a deviantArt gallery with 3D works of mine on Atalix.deviantart.com ^^

Hi everybody! I´m from Spain and my name´s Daniel.

My big hobby is 3D (at this moment no job) but i´m still a newbie in the 3D world.

3D-Coat is my lifesaver for texturing (and retopo of course :D) my cloths, characters and props for Poser (later imported on 3Ds Max for render).

As a newbie I have a question... maybe someone answer this before but it´s a lot to read... the point is I´m import a model for texturing and apply symmetry on X. Draw some shapes to define the cloth pieces. Symmetry works like a charm in 3D-Coat, then I jump to photoshop to refine the previous shapes mainly with pen tool and brushes, when I´m finish all the work on photoshop jump back on 3D-Coat to see how it looks... here is the problem... I´m only editing one side on photoshop (usually the right side of the model) Is there a way on 3D-Coat to mirror the texture from the right side (edited in photoshop) to the left side of the model?

Thanks in advance and sorry my poor english.

Welcome! I'm a hobbyist myself. I looked at TheaRender and did enjoy using it's kid brother, Kerky for little awhile...

Hay guys. nice to meet u all. my last names walker so just call me by my last name, the military kinda nailed that into me. I've been wanting to do this kinda stuff for many years and finally getting the chance to work with it i made my first 3 d model of a character i designed for a story i made. I was stupidly overexcited over creating a 3d model that I posted my voxel on facebook and showed everyone :P. I only have the educational version but I cant wait to get good at this so i can go professional. im prety cofident right now but i have a buttload to learn. my ability is strong in voxel sculpting but wondering should i master that first or should i evenly learn everything through. well thats all i got for now. cya around people

Hi there,

my name is - guess what - Sven. I live in Germany binationally married to my russian wife and mother of our 3 kids. I play Red Orchestra 2 and started modelling for the game and ... here I am. Newbie questions will follow shortly ;-)

Hi

Red Orchestra... the Make Something Unreal contest winners devs. cool :)

nice to meet you and welcome !

Hi, guys. I`m prof visualisator from Rus and just bought 3d-coat to learn and create my own работы для себя and to support 3d-coat team (I know some of then speak russian)) in there genious work to delete borders between technic and art.

Когда уже будет отдельный русский сайт? :)

Hello 3dcoat world. Just purchased the package and I'm desperate to figure out how 3d coat exactly works. Hope to learn a lot on this forum!

Mosterd

There is a section here with links to various tutorials, but you should be able to learn quite a bit from 3D Coat's Youtube Channel. Posting new tutorials and feature demos constantly (so make sure to subscribe there)

http://www.youtube.c...r/PILGWAY3DCoat

Hi, guys. I`m prof visualisator from Rus and just bought 3d-coat to learn and create my own работы для себя and to support 3d-coat team (I know some of then speak russian)) in there genious work to delete borders between technic and art.

Когда уже будет отдельный русский сайт? :)

Welcome aboard. Yes, Pilgway is based in Kiev Ukraine. Andrew works as hard, and communicates with the userbase more than any developer I've ever seen. I don't know of any software that provides as much improvement/refinement as 3D Coat. Most of the tools are a direct result of user input and requests. New builds all the time, and if you have a critical problem, you have a bug reporting/feature request site just for that very purpose: http://3d-coat.com/mantis

...as well as e-mail support (support@3d-coat.com)

• Like 1