3DCoat Forums

Here's theo, used 3DC, zbrush, blender, Ps, for sculpture and textures, particle system, SSS, rendering in blender internal v.29b.

thanks tony nemo, hair via blender hair (particles system). Texures in 3DC but the shirt modeled via voxels and retopo but textured in blender. Its the only case that seams must be visible. :drinks:

Technically the work is done perfectly.

But you can still improve the compositing )))

post-705-12801212315128_thumb.jpg

Technically the work is done perfectly.

But you can still improve the compositing )))

Yeah, I remember in Photography class once, the instructor talking about composition, and having the person in one (3rd) of the frame peering toward the other 2/3's or an object within the frame. Looking outward from the same side is largely a waste of space (behind them)

That's a very nice job, excellent likeness and very realistic. I like it a lot.

Thank you. But specularity was not OK. Meanwhile new blender v 2..5.3. So more sss here and some GI. Even so as blender runs at 64bit (cocoa) on a mac the 20 min became 4 ! even with GI. Here's a new one, pp only for levels and vignette. DOF via blender nodes.

Nice result. Did you ever rendered an animation with GI in blender? Some renderers results in artefacts.

Thanks Taros, GI does indeed artifacts, better to avoid it in animations. Mainly for archi presentations IMO. Anyway I rendered another one, slightly different lenses, sss and an overlaying patina.

What a small change in sss parameters can cause... Or is it an obsession I have?

OK I edited it, how stupid of me. Obsession finished :pardon:

What a small change in sss parameters can cause... Or is it an obsession I have?

Without side-by-side views, I vote for obsession. :nea:

Alternative lighting. Just for fun, he asked for some darker colors. lol

I see he asked for some hair color; next he will want twenty years off. :pardon:

Its this particular hair color that we see in older men sometimes. Sun is killing this and turns it to something brown dark ochre. :)

A B&W version.

Far too much SSS with too much depth in the penertration. Human skin requires only a small amount of SSS. Dont fall into the the trap of using ooddles of SSS for the sake of it, I see that soo often. Currently he looks a little too Waxy which is most definitely too much SSS.

Far too much SSS with too much depth in the penertration. Human skin requires only a small amount of SSS. Dont fall into the the trap of using ooddles of SSS for the sake of it, I see that soo often. Currently he looks a little too Waxy which is most definitely too much SSS.

I can't concur. Harmonizing "Far too much" and "oodles" with "a little too waxy" is a stretch and, on my monitor, I just don't see "too waxy". :blink:

Ok Ok maybe that seemed a little harsh But Its my Opinion. The Problem I see is also that the last colour image needs More frontal light the rim light is too bright (Or too far forward) which is Amplifiying SSS. Middle composition lighting on post 10 is best image, And I did not say he had put oodles of sss in there I simply said dont fall into that trap. :rolleyes: Last colour image Looks garish to me, sorry.

The shadows on the commisoural line look dirty. these are not present in the image in post 10 and in my opinion they are caused by the light passing through from the Left hand rim (Hence my comment on SSS).

Anyway Its a very nice bit of modelling. Just paly around a little further and im sure you'll get the settings just right.

Michalis, Any chance you can post image of Nodal settings, Im not familiar with Blender SSS set. I hate to say But think SSS is still too much. If you post Node image maybe I can advise better as to what is to strong. maybe control the sss depth with either Weight or image maps, cos it looks like you have a strong overall effect??

Haven't use nodes, I don't really know they work (for sss) I used them for dof only. I also noticed that the spec map is not working either.

Update: in new 2.5.3 these materials nodes have some major bugs. After first rendering I can't edit materials. I can't unlink them.

Thanks haikalle,

BTW what do you know about nodes materials in blender? Any good tutorial out there? Except blenderwiki of course.

Some improvement in sss, but I lost something from the character too. Have a look. Maybe some new textures and lighting. And sss nodes of course.

I would say that there is still too much SSS. just a bit. Also it feels that there in your specular dosen't show so well it should.

But this is already better that I can ever do so these are only suggestions from bitter man :)