3DCoat Forums

Houdini 11 has PTex support

• Contributor

thanks for posting this, haikalle...been hearing about Houdini, but haven't had a chance to check it out til now...I installed the Houdini 11 Apprentice version for now, not sure if I installed it right or not as for the farm licensing,etc,,but the program opened up ok and gosh, there are so many whistles n bells, this really is going to be fun checking all of it out. (goes to bang head on wall,,ranting 'like I really need yet another 3d program' biggrin.gif )

• Applink Developer

I did some tests with houdini PTex and it seams that there is some trouble. Can someone who has Renderman confirm that Ptex works in 3d-coat 3.3.09.

I want to be sure it works before I contact houdini develop. team.

• Applink Developer

Here is the problem I'm having to use 3d-coat with houdini. Have any houdini user found a way how to bring ptex textures from 3d-coat. It

may be that I have missed one important setting but... don't know which one?

• Applink Developer

I got this interesting email from houdini develop team

Our developers tell me that as far as we understand, the author of 3DCoat has written his own code to read/write ptex files rather than using the provided library/API. This information came from the developers of the ptex library.

So does this mean that they both support ptx files but they don't still work together. Maybe I'm missing something here. They even say in their documents that you can use 3d-coat

to create Ptx files. And I was so excited to test this.. :o

I'm not sure what 3DC's code has to do with it. As long as it reads them and writes them in a format other apps understand, then everything should be cool. Andrew probably had to write it differently in order to work with the current UV editor. Which of course also enables 3DC's Ptex to work with unsupported apps like LightWave or zbrush.

I got this interesting email from houdini develop team

So does this mean that they both support ptx files but they don't still work together. Maybe I'm missing something here. They even say in their documents that you can use 3d-coat

to create Ptx files. And I was so excited to test this.. :o

It's true Andrew did do some unique stuff to make it so you could export out to engines that do not support Ptex, as Phil noted. But they should still work together as I am certain he didn't change the way PTX files are used, written or anything else. I'll point Andrew to this thread, I hope he can shed more light on the subject.

• Applink Developer

Thanks. That would be nice. Houdini users are excited about this so if these two amazing program could work together that would be a blast.

Maybe Andrew knows this already but he can download free version of houdini to test. And I'm here for help if needed.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

I think that there is still a problem to bring Ptex into houdini. I downloaded teapot sample from here:

http://ptex.us/samples.html

Next I imported teapot.obj into 3d-coat using File->Import->Model for Ptex and it works okey. I can import teapot.ptx texture too.

I can paint something and then export color ptx texture. Now I import them into houdini. No problem. everything works fine.

But the problem is if you try to use File->Export->Export model. It seams 3d-coat changes the original .obj file and houdini dosen't

understand it 100%. If I re-open the files in 3d-coat it works okey. Because of this problem you can't use any .obj that are created in

3d-coat. So there is still something odd. I hope this helps you Andrew.

Here is a video tutorial about the issue.

I think that there is still a problem to bring Ptex into houdini. I downloaded teapot sample from here:

http://ptex.us/samples.html

Next I imported teapot.obj into 3d-coat using File->Import->Model for Ptex and it works okey. I can import teapot.ptx texture too.

I can paint something and then export color ptx texture. Now I import them into houdini. No problem. everything works fine.

But the problem is if you try to use File->Export->Export model. It seams 3d-coat changes the original .obj file and houdini dosen't

understand it 100%. If I re-open the files in 3d-coat it works okey. Because of this problem you can't use any .obj that are created in

3d-coat. So there is still something odd. I hope this helps you Andrew.

Here is a video tutorial about the issue.

Please play with Ptex export settings. There is "Flip ptex quads". Try to check it and export, please tell me result.

And try pipeline over creature.obj. Import, paint, export ptx. Try flipped and normal export.

As I know Renderman works well with flipped export.

• Applink Developer

Andrew, I found the reason why PTex dosen't work in houdini. It´s because .obj format. Right now you write it as:

f v1/vt1/vn1 v2/vt2/vn2 v3/vt3/vn3 ...

if I change this into:

f v1//vn1 v2//vn2 v3//vn3 ...

It works and I get beatiful Ptextures. I don't know if this is a error of houdini or 3d-coat. Maybe you can add a checkbox into File->Export->Export model

to add this way to write .obj file.

Andrew, I found the reason why PTex dosen't work in houdini. It´s because .obj format. Right now you write it as:

f v1/vt1/vn1 v2/vt2/vn2 v3/vt3/vn3 ...

if I change this into:

f v1//vn1 v2//vn2 v3//vn3 ...

It works and I get beatiful Ptextures. I don't know if this is a error of houdini or 3d-coat. Maybe you can add a checkbox into File->Export->Export model

to add this way to write .obj file.

It is really strange. It really looks like Houdini issue. Why texture coordinates are treated strangely?

I may add check box "Don't export UV" but it will look strange.

• Applink Developer

Okey. There is a very fast way to delete uv data in houdini so this is not the problem anymore. But there is new problem.

I tested to export all Ptex texture types and here is the result:

Color = Works

Spec = Don't work

Disp = Don'n work

Vector disp = works

Abs disp = works.

It seams that this is 3d-coat because some of they work and some dosen't Here is the video to help.

and here you can download 3b file

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=xgdlmw0blmf

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

Here is a small video tutorial how to take ptex textures from 3d-coat into houdini.

In my results there is still some unwanted artifacts but I hope they are ironed out eventually.

EDIT: Also there is some other problems. With default lighting the disp look okey, but if I add

area light, mesh disp goes very bad. Have to do some more testing...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

An interesting conversation here. I'm currently doing the Houdini tutorial "Mantra Masterclass that came out early this October. It's a good tutorial but there's a few bugs in it. The biggest bug comes at the end where Andrew Clinton touches briefly on a PTEX lesson.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1412&Itemid=305

Here's the exercise files;

http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/tutorials/h11_mantra/h11_mantra_sample_files.zip

Here's the video tutorial;

http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/tutorials/h11_mantra/mantra_h11_720p.mov

The PTEX segment starts at 57:20 of the video...

1t9EY.jpg

I can load the entire lesson but the renders aren't working at all like they do in the tutorial. Blank screen.

But then this is the warning I'm getting when I load the exercise into Houdini 11.

j6afE.jpg

I suppose it's going to take some time to iron out all the bugs and get some documentation out there so I can figure all this out, but it's encouraging to see other render engines besides Pixar Renderman accepting PTEX files.

Oh wait, I figured it out. There's two files labeled PTEX in teh exercise folder. One is PTEX.hip file ( the main Houdini file) and the other is PTEX.color which has to be attached to the main .hip file...

rx9o0.jpg